1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What aftermarket stereo do you have?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by KCobby, Nov 13, 2009.

1. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ok, just wanted to make a thread where everyone who has an aftermarket head unit in their Prius could list it. Personally, I want to know what everyone has installed, what people like and dislike. Many people recommend installing a head unit in addition to the stock radio, I'm hoping this can be one thread where people can just list what they have (if it exists already, I haven't found it.)

So...what have you put in? and thanks!

:rockon:

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you already know what I have but for the sake of your thread I'll add to it. :)

Head Unit: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Reason for purchase: Because I wanted a unit with a 24bit D/A for maximum sound quality, High Voltage Low Impedence RCAs, Time Alignment to help create an accurate sound stage (the lead vocalist is coming from the center of the dash, not out of the corners of the doors), Bluetooth, and USB capability.

Amplifiers: Diamond Audio D9 800.2 (400Watt RMS) very high end amplifier at nearly $2000 retail. Powering the front speakers
    Diamond Audio D6 1500.1 (1500Watt RMS)

Front Speakers: Diamond Audio D971. 7" Midrange component set Retail $1500

Subwoofers: Two Diamond Audio D910D4 10" subs (currently blown) using two Diamond D6 12" subs for now.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...alth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...iamond-audio-midranges-installed-finally.html

3. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice F8L, that's the first time I've seen the full rundown. Like your Diamond Audio now do ya? ;-)

I don't have it yet, but I'll add the Alpine iDA-X305 to the list.

We've picked that one due to the relatively low cost and excellent iPod interface. We have no need for playing CDs. It also supports adding all the many Alpine peripherals, like Bluetooth, satellite radio, HD radio, CD changer, Power Pack and their IMPRINT sound processor.

- D

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a smokin deal on the Diamond stuff years ago so I saw no need to not use it in the Prius. lol

That looks like a very nice head unit. The Burr-Brown DAC is great! Add in the PXA-H100 and you're set, especially with the time alignment feature. :)

5. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay, so maybe I'll have to add to this myself for bit as I find out what people are using...member Pegasus posted this (albeit last October)in a thread on bluetooth:

I opted for replacing my stereo with a Dual XHD6425 + BTM60 Bluetooth module. For $140 out the door I get (over the stock bare stereo): WMA/MP3 CD playback, USB device support (keychains, HDs, even charges my phone,) HD radio, aux input, and bluetooth through the stereo.

6. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, I saw that post too. Certainly good features for the $$. I've never seen one in action. But one thing to value in a head unit is interface and ease of use. You don't want to fiddle with it too much while driving. So get to a shop and try some units out in person if you can, see what works for you.

- D

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that Dual is what I could consider a "ghetto" band. You cannot get high quality, lots of high end features and a low price all in one unit unless it is stolen. :)

Also for those with GenII Prius and planning on installing via the stealth location, the front mount USB interface is terrible for you will not be able to close the cover while the USB is stuck in it. Rear mount is the best choice in this case.

8. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Slow going for this thread...sorry, just collecting data...:typing:

Here is what member BoostedTimmy did:

Dual XHD7714 HD Radio/CD Receiver
    PAC SWI-PS - Steering wheel controls
    PAC TATO Toyota JBL Interface JBL Interface

The thread is here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-audio-electronics/38700-stealth-install-aftermarket-stereo-in-prius-6.html

Also on page 3 of the same thread, member Maseace has pictures of a Sony unit installed "F8L style", just don't know what exact model it is.

Agreed about the quality of Dual compared to that of Alpine or Kenwood (especially the Excelon series.) But to each his own...for this thread, just trying to post options for everyone and whether people are happy with them.

:thumb:

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True, and I apologize if my comment on the Dual brand came off as rude. It wasn't meant to be. Not everyone can or wants to spend more money on a head unit and that makes perfect sense. :)

10. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same thread, page 3 - member krkl uses: Sony MEX-BT2600 which is discontinued, but the current model is MEX-BT3700

11. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Put in a new head unit a couple years ago, Kenwood KVT-512.
    Needed a built in GPS, after years of using a portable.

I like the motorized touch-screen, esp. for the GPS interface (to a Kenwood [Garmin] KNA-G510).

It's got a lot of other features (USB or IPOD interface, external Audio/Video input, pre-amp outs, etc.) but not using them for now.

12. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for posting and :welcome:

Sounds like you have nice set up. I was at one time looking for something that had built in GPS but was swayed elsewhere. Do you have any pics of the set-up?

13. pjw3

pjw3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Head units, Head units, Head units! What about speakers? What can be used in the stock tweeter grills?

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything cheap. lol

The really good speakers have large tweeters and you will have to make your own pods or cut into the door panel. You can also try mounting them flush with the midranges but your sound stage will drop noticeably.

15. pjw3

pjw3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may not need "really good". I need something for $250 or less. My wife's JBL is way better than my aftermarket 3ways in the door (non-JBL head) I want to take it up a notch, don't need to go over the top. Anyone out there got a reccomendation for the stock mounts?

Thanks!:)

16. McKeeius

McKeeius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have Boston Acoustic SC60 component speakers with tweeters, and BA SC65 speakers in the rear - Kenwood KDC-X993 head unit and an Alpine amplifier.

The speakers are pretty good, but leave something to be desire imo. Combined with the head unit they put out some decent bass, but I ended up totally popping one of my tweeters, so I will probably have to try something else. It sounds like some folks on here have tried and liked the Infinity Kappa series.

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just installed Kenwood Excelon DNX-6960. I am doing a write up so this is just a tease. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Eclipse CD5030 HU "5 volt pre-out", Alpine PDX-4.100 Amp, Polk MM6501 Components (front & rear), Infinity BassLink Sub.

Attached Files:

19. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, indeed, the idea of this thread was to find out what people are using for head units (see first post)...so...:rolleyes:

20. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Awesome! A Gen III in the mix!

Nice install - did you do it yourself?