1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What appliances have you RUN using a power inverter in your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ski.dive, Dec 7, 2013.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What appliances have you RUN using a power inverter in your Prius?

Please do not post if you have not used a power inverter in your Prius, I do not want to hear why this should not be done...Thanks

Please only post if you have used a power inverter in your Prius to run appliances during a power failure.

Appliances like a small appliances, refrigerator, TV, small oil furnace, etc.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Laptop, insulin fridge, wireless repeater

(always in READY)

amazon.com/gp/product/B002AP95H2

3 AC outlets, a USB outlet and a extension of the cigarette lighter. (My wife can hear the fan)

3. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've run the fridge/freezer in my kitchen. It overloaded the inverter when I first plugged it in, but I was able to get it running properly by clearing the inverter fault and trying again a few times.

I was using a 1000w inverter from harbor freight, but I was in a pinch and used some alligator clips to connect the inverter to the jump connection points under the hood. Definitely sub-optimal.

I tried to run the gas furnace but it didn't work. The inverter didn't overload so I'm assuming the furnace electronics didn't appreciate the modified sin wave that the cheap inverter put out.

This summer I wired the inverter directly to the 12 volt aux battery (Optima yellow top). I used 4 gauge wire and some Anderson Power Poll connectors. I haven't actually run anything off it save for testing with a lamp.

Of course it goes without saying, alway have the Prius in READY mode if the inverter is powered on.

Good thread. I'm interested in hearing other peoples success stories.

4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Steam boiler, cablemodem, wifi router, internet radio, laptop, iPhone charger, LED 60W equivalent lights. All on a 100W inverter which ran from my Prius c for 54 hours straight after Sandy last year.

Note that the steam boiler has no circulator or blower, so is only about a 20W load.

There are several long threads from last year with lots of other hookups described.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I test ran a refrigerator/freezer with a 2000W Pure Sine Wave inverter connected to the HV battery just to verify the inverter could handle the inrush current from the compressor.

I have been lucky that I have not had to use it yet. But I am ready if needed.