1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are a dealer's responsibilities?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Woof, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Woof

Woof New Member

My 2007 Prius now has a new dealer-installed transmission after 1300 miles (1 month). The dealer (Alexandria Toyota in VA) refused me a loaner for the first three days, and as a result I was docked 3 vacation days at work. Today I picked up the car, and discovered both doors were dinged at the dealer, down to under surface on the driver's door. This while fiasco has me regretting I bought the Prius from them and that they've shafted me everwhere along the way.

What are your thoughts on a dealer's responsibilities in providing customer service?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DC Woof @ Mar 3 2007, 06:01 PM) [snapback]399628[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry to hear about your problems. IMO you should have started making a scene in the showroom and complained to Toyota by day 2. If the dealer were ethical (there's an oxymoron) they would own up to the damage and repair the dings. Obviously this won't happen. I don't know if a complaint to Toyota would do any good but it at least would make me feel better. If Toyota doesn't offer satisfaction I think it's time to send an invoice to the dealer billing for the 3 days and repairs. Should that be ignored go to small claims court and file for breach of warranty.

Good luck. If I were treated like that, I'd be pissed.

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

There is always small claims court. Nolo press has a great book on how to do it.

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DC Woof @ Mar 3 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]399628[/snapback]</div>
    Why didn't you rent a car or take public transportation to work? If you are going to go after Toyota or the dealer to recover your economic loses you have a duty to mitigate your damages.
    Did you confront them and documented the damage before you left the dealership? What was their response? You may wish to file a small claims action to pay for the repair of the door.
    When I took delivery of my car it was made quite clear to me that the dealer would not provide me a loaner if my car needed to be repaired. However, I would think that Toyota would have provided you with a loan car considering that your Prius needed a new transmission at only 1,300 miles. Did you contact Toyota Motor Sales HQ or the regional representative to ask for a loaner?