1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the best camber adjustment bolts for genII prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by epoch_time, Oct 12, 2015.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I've got 76000 miles on orignal goodyear intergity tires and finally see some uneven wear on inside tread.
    I've measured (diy lazer level, protractor and string, trigonometry) camber at -1.4 both front wheels and .14 toe in total. All within spec.
    I think my alignment hasn't changed since new (2009) and I remember looking at 30 or more brand new prius'es side by side on the dealers lot all having that crazy negative camber. Mine still looks exactly the same with that same negative camber as when new.

I just want to get rid of some of the negative camber I feel I could get another 15000 miles of tire life with less camber and I don't mind expermenting..

I realize with camber adjustment I will also have to adjust toe in. I don't care about caster.
    And I realize rear axle has even more camber and toe that front but not adjustable without shims..

I ordered camber bolts from toyota dealer today .. the printout shows the selected camber bolt shafts simply to be smaller diameter allowing the steering knuckle to wobble around loosely before torqueing down in a vise like grip on the steering knuckle but with loose knuckle bolt holes...not sure I like this..

I've seen some camber bolts online that appear to have cam lobe on the bolt shaft which seems to offer more precise adjustment but those type may need some metal work to fit ? Any body know about these cam lobe type camber bolts?

The dealer camber bolts are spec'ed as follows
    A; 13.9 mm shaft one dot on bolt head identifer
    B. 13.3 mm shaft two dots on bolt head identifer
    C. 12.4 mm shaft three dots on bolt head identifer
    D. 15.0 mm shaft no dot on bolt head identifer

The dealer part number 43211K (RH) and 43212D (LH) I dont know how they add A-D types.
    but the service manual calls for parts
    90105-15015 one dot
    90105-10516 two dots
    90105-10517 three dots
    90105-10518 no dots
    The service manual has no designation for left or right sides.
    Dealer said he could order the bolts by the service manual numbers so thats what we did..
    I don't know why the dealer parts have left and right designations hope I didn't make a mistake ordering the other types...

In fact the dealer camber Nuts have left and right side part numbers as follows;
    43211L (RH) and 42212E (LH) Anyone under stand this?

My orignal bolts have no dots so apparently are 15 mm diameter shaft.
    I dont want to do any drilling or metal work of any kind. But I cant see how a cam lobe type camber bolt can be inserted without some type of modification...