1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what are the different ccl and dcl for all the models?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by sergbot, Oct 2, 2023.

1. sergbot

sergbot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been driving prius 2 for three years, got it from an auction at 170k miles, eventually the regenerator died, the dash lights died, the battery died because of the regenerator, and i think the timing chain got stretched or the piston rings got sized because the engine started running rich while reading lean and I was going through o2 sensors like crazy. Also got my cat stolen in the middle of that. Ended up just driving the car to the junk yard and getting $150. It did serve me well, it cost me almost nothing and I drove it to 240k miles at 35 mpg.

Anyway I got a prius 3 now and I only now noticed and realized there is a thing called dcl and ccl, charge current limit, discharge current limit, when the soc gets too high or too low, the computer will set a hard limit on how much current it will allow to enter or leave the battery. That's all good but the prius 3 ccl, or maximum regenerative braking is 21 kw. Which is a problem because car brakes can produce like 400kw of stopping power. If you do brake 20 times slower to stop over time, yeah you could capture all of that energy, however in most cases you're not going to be able to do that without being a hinderance on the road. So a lot of energy is being left on the table.

Also it feels like regenerative braking scales with speed, So if you're gradually braking at 15 mph, you're only going to be generating 8kw while riding your disc brakes. Which is wrong. The first inch of brake pedal travel should dictate 0-21kw of regenerative braking, so if you're holding down the pedal lightly, it should be giving you 20kw of regenerative braking not 8. This could have been done to increase the longevity of the battery, but that's the premise of the prius. we're paying for nimh instead of gasoline and it's cheaper to pay for nimh.

So I wonder what kind of crazy fuel economy would be possible if the regenerator was 100kw and was super responsible and applied a high load.

Anyway, so are all priuses 2,3,4,5 and prime, are all of them limited to 21kw regeneration? What's the prius 2's regeneration? because i think it's rocking a 50kw mg2 where as the prius 3 mg2 is like 20kw. I think. idk.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that info might be available in 'new car features' at techinfo.toyota.com, but idk for sure.

i don't recall anyone changing the regen rate, you might have to use a different tranny, or maybe it's the inverter, idk.