1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the ideal values of block voltage of 2016 prius.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hassan310, Oct 14, 2018.

1. hassan310

hassan310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought 4th gen prius. The odo reading is 37k and I think it's not the original reading. How one can estimate the remaining battery life by reading the block voltages. Can anyone help me to determine the current battery health?
    What are the values of new battery? IMG-20181013-WA0001.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What battery have you got - I'd assume NiMH unless it's a Japanese import (which could be Li-ION.

I'm intrigued that you think the ODO is wrong - any reason why the suspicion?

3. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Out of curiosity, what are you using to display the block voltages?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That does seem a massive difference in voltages, and typically it's the middle of the pack that suffers.

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    The differences between block are just about doubled, I suspect there are more (2x) cells in some blocks than others.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the Aqua the equivalent of the "C" model here?

I wasn't aware there were any Prii made with only 9 blocks (18 modules)..............

If you assume the 30+ volt blocks are actually each 4 modules, then the math comes out to 28 modules total, which is standard prius quantity.. Very weird way of monitoring, but anything is possible I suppose. Maybe just a glitch with the scanner programming?

Anyone else with an Aqua that can duplicate this?

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think @hassan310 is asking about a fourth-generation Prius.
    Does the reading agree with the Total Distance Traveled value on the Data List page for the Hybrid Control System? With your scan tool, this might be available in the same place as the hybrid battery voltages.

Also, are there any stored Vehicle Control History events (described in my previous posting)? Some of these might include the Total Distance Traveled value in the freeze frame data; unless the ECU involved were swapped in from another vehicle, this should never be greater than the current odometer reading.
    You probably can’t, at least from Toyota’s published information, unless the voltages are so far out of the expected ranges that they indicate an actual or incipient battery failure, which would be accompanied by a diagnostic trouble code. Remember that the voltages vary with the battery’s state of charge (SOC), which changes continually as the hybrid system operates.

Toyota’s Repair Manual (under Engine/Hybrid System: Hybrid/Battery Control: Hybrid Control System (For Nickel Metal Hydride Battery): Data List/Active Test) does give “Normal Condition” values for the block voltages:

Hybrid Battery Block 1 Voltage [also applies to Blocks 2, 8, and 9]:

SOC 60%: 12.00 to 20.00 V
    ex. approximately 16 V​
    Hybrid Battery Block 3 Voltage [also applies to Blocks 4, 5, 6, and 7]:

SOC 60%: 24.00 to 40.00 V
    ex. approximately 32 V​

This really isn’t enough information to detect anything other than a gross failure. Internal resistance might be a better measure, but for these, too, Toyota gives only wide “Normal Condition” ranges:

Internal Resistance 1 [also applies to Blocks 2, 8, and 9]:

Always: 0.010 to 0.100 ohm​

Internal Resistance 3 [also applies to Blocks 4, 5, 6, and 7]:

Always: 0.020 to 0.200 ohm​

As explained in my previous posting, you may have to rely on the car to monitor itself.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Isn't that interesting. So, the center 20 modules are definitely broken into 5 blocks of 4 each. I wonder if this is a way to dilute the effects of one module getting weak or having a single failed cell. ie...would a single cell failure in a 4 module block (dropping block voltage by ~1.2 volts) still trigger a fault?

Would be an interesting way to reduce warranty claims (or increase reliability?) since the center modules are typically the first to have a failed cell.

9. hassan310

hassan310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it's Japanese import.
    Mine is S package not the S touring.

And the reason for suspicion is that no auction sheet is available for this vehicle. I tried to pull out via chassis number but I couldn't. IMG_20181017_190350.jpeg

10. hassan310

hassan310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a scanner.

Well I pulled all the data log but couldn't find the total distance traveled. Anyhow the car mileage is very good at around 65mpg. Secondly it's a Japanese vehicle. Everything is Japanese. Then won't let me change it. Hahaha

#10 hassan310, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018