1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the largest profile tyre I could fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Has Raf, Sep 16, 2024 at 7:38 AM.

1. Has Raf

Has Raf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMG_2594.jpeg IMG_2593.jpeg What are the largest profile tyres I could fit? 1.6” lift kit all round, and 16” stock alloys. 195/55R16 on at the moment.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have the 40 mm lift kit that's supposed to be 1.7 in equal in American measurements If you look at the picture of the car in my profile picture or my signature picture whatever you want to call it those are 215 65 15s on stock Prius rims with no rubbing scraping nothing and I have 6 in of ground clearance now or very close I have an actually measured from the bottom of the car to the ground but it's pretty easily that It's up past my ankle I can easily get in and out of the car now at 70 years old where I couldn't before and now it goes very well down fence lines when I go around cars that are making a right turn I can go over the potholes in the divots in the road for nobody else will because their cars too low or too nice I can go flying through those now with no problems I can go over speed bumps at the Walmart boom boom no problem no rubbing no scraping You're working with a 26-in outer diameter assembly so whatever tire that goes on your 16-in rim that produces a 26-in outer diameter is what you want You have to Google that I don't know what it'll be but you want to have a total tire and wheel outer diameter package at 26 in If you're over that you may rub when you're suspension undelays are compresses and expands I have right at an inch clearance on the left and right side of the wheel not top but where it would rub the edge of the front fender leading or trailing I've got just an inch in there any bigger tire and I would be rubbing turning and all of that.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    205 65 16 are 26.5 OD. That might be giving you of just a bit over a quarter of an inch on each side of the tire not at the top from the strut tower down but from the leading and trailing edge of the front fender and that might worry me a little bit If you did the suspension correctly and you got single rate springs versus the variable rate that usually come with the car that a lot of aftermarket manufacturers are not using you may be okay with the variable rate springs and everything being factory the same in the suspension part of the deal that's the springs and the struts on some not so hard breaking you may be able to get the tire to scrape albeit very lightly so it just depends on what you're willing to live with I am not willing to accept any scraping It sounds horrendous and makes you look like parking lot kid.

4. Has Raf

Has Raf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have 7.5” ground clearance at the front bumper now and 13.5 at the rear bumper. 205/60R16 works out as 25.7” outer diameter. My current diameter is 24.4”.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That is all correct I'm not sure where you're measuring the 13 in but I have the 40 mm lift kit I just put it on about 5 weeks ago so it should be the same as yours I do not have 16-in wheels but that makes no difference in the outer diameter of the assembly so basically you are at the largest you want to be unless you're going to pick the car up and make it look like a suburban or something I have seen them lifted that high but that's a lot of work and turning those big tires You might as well get the suburban or something Right now my gas mileage is sitting at mostly 39 miles per gallon all around driving with this tire setup before I was getting 41 to 45 generally with me driving the car all the time changing to this 26-in outer diameter setup has plummeted the car to between 37.8 and 39 mi to the gallon always showing like clockwork on the multifunction display which I don't mind and I quite expected no surprises here.

6. Has Raf

Has Raf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don’t mind a slight decrease in mpg if it means more ride comfort and inc the terrain I can drive on.