1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the magic words -- tire size?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jpkemmerer, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jpkemmerer

jpkemmerer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    After reviewing the extensive and very informative posts on tire brand, width, and diameters, I have opted to replace my almost new Integrities with X Radials. Since they are strictly club tires, I visited my local Sam's Club and BJ's. Both places refused to install 195/60-15s. I was told they could only install tire sizes that are "in the book", "in the owners manual", or "on the door". No intelligent discussion was possible.

Is there any Toyota publication, web site, or other magic words to substantiate that a 195/60-15 tire on a "non-touring" 2008 Prius is not a "safety issue" ? How did you other PCers manage to get around this roadblock ? I could buy and get them installed elsewhere, but that would complicate the free rotation and road hazard coverages.

I am leaning towards just putting the 185s on and call it a day. :frusty:

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We live in a litigious society. Toyota has not approved 195/60-15 as an appropriate size. Hence it doesn't surprise me that your local tire retailers refuse to install this size since 185/65-15 tires are a popular size and are available to them.

3. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    See if they'll sell you the tires you want without mounting them. Then find your local Discount Tire to have them installed, or any service station with that capability. If that doesn't work call your local military buddy to take your car on base to the auto hobbie shop, they should have a tire and wheel machine. Mount and balance in less than an hour and shouldn't cost that much. You have to do the work but it's easy and kind on fun.

If they wont sell the tires to you, order them online. Tire Rack has a list of certified installers they use, no questions asked.

Or you can lie to them and find out what car uses that size tire and tell them you're buying for that vehicle.