1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the normal noises?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ntipton2011, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can I get a roll call of all of the normal noises I should expect from my Prius? I know there are some strange ones, but I think I've got too many - particularly on my brakes and some sort of squeeky crank sound under my hood.

If folks could just list the weird ones they can think of - it might help put my mind at ease!

2. Fester

Fester Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are quite a few on the Prius, but the first one that I really noticed (other than silence at the redlights :)), was a electric motor run sound that starts (not always, but frequently) a few seconds after you shut the Prius off. This is a electrically powered pump that circulates hot engine coolant into what is basically a 2-3 liter capacity thermos bottle which helps bring the engine up to temperature faster when you next start.

As I recall, the 2010's onward use another method to heat the engine more quickly rather than the pump and thermos storage bottle.

3. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    what about very high pitched whines from under the car (somewhat constant almost a high pitched drone) and what sounds like a squeeky crank being turned right when the car stops (and maybe other times?). What about a grinding sound from the brakes?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius inverter runs whenever the car is READY, and will emit a constant whine. Open the hood and put your ear next to the inverter (it has a shiny aluminum cover) to hear it.

To force the brake pressure accumulator pump to run, make the car READY, then depress the brake pedal repeatedly. The pump will run from time to time to restore hydraulic pressure in the brake system.

If some rust has built up on the front discs then the brakes may make some noise. You might try cleaning the brakes by getting up to 50 mph or so on a road with no traffic behind you. Then shift to N, and moderately brake to a stop. Repeat a few times. The idea of shifting to N is to force only friction braking to operate, so that the discs can be cleaned by the brake pads.

If the rear brakes are making noise, then the brake drums have to be removed and brake parts cleaner used to clean the brake drums and shoes.

5. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Patrick, I appreciate the words of advice.

I tried the braking in N this weekend, I think it might have helped - but the brakes are just really loud when the car is moving slow. I can hear it in my parking garage at work. I cant really tell if they are front or rear, but they do sort of sound like rear ones.

What does forcing the brake pressure accumulator pump to run do for me?

Any ideas on the squeaky crank sound I hear?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The point of forcing the pump to run is to become familiar with the sound that it makes, so that you recognize this as one of the "normal" sounds produced by the Prius.

You'll have to decide whether the squeaking sound is produced by the brakes or the suspension. If these sounds can be demonstrated, maybe you should take your car to your local dealer for assistance.

7. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesnt sound like it is either the brakes or the suspension, really. Since I just got the thing, I dont really want to take it in for service for a sound if it ends up being normal.

It sounds like a pulley that turns about 1/2 revolution and needs grease. I doubt thats what it is - but it happens infrequently. Usually when I'm about to turn the car off/come to a complete stop.

I'm going to go force the brake pressure accumulator pump to run and see what that sounds like.

8. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok - so I was completely wrong - the squeaking is from the brake pressure accumulator pump. Is a lot of squeaking normal? Its not just a motor sound, there's a lot of squeaking that goes with it.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, you can either record the sound and post; or else you can find another Prius to drive and see how the pump on that car sounds, compared to your vehicle.

10. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just set up an appointment at my dealer tomorrow. I hope they dont give me too many problems - I just dont think this is normal and I want to get it replaced now while I still have the certified 3k miles warranty.

11. ntipton2011

ntipton2011 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Patrick -

Thanks for your help. They are replacing the brake accumulator pump today and adjusting the rear brake to end the noise.

In troubling news, the service manager told me that my car didnt have a transaxle and the fluid, which doesnt exist, wouldnt need changing. After insisting that my car did, he put me on hold for several minutes... came back and told me "yeah, it needs to be changed, but at 120,000 miles". Anyway, after telling him I wanted to do it now he finally told me it was about $190 bucks. I'll be doing the job myself since i'm sure a long funnel and 4 qts of oil is less than half that.

Is it time to find a new dealer to take my car for in-warranty service?

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update.

It is too early to say whether you need to find a new dealer for in-warranty service. See what happens with the brake pressure accumulator pump replacement. That is a fairly complex job and would cost you ~$2K out of warranty. If the job is done well, then no reason to change.

When you pick up your car, you can stop at the parts counter and buy 4 qt of Toyota ATF WS and two aluminum washers for the drain and fill plugs. That will set you back around $40.

Then fabricate a suitable funnel with a 3 ft. long tail, buy a 24 mm socket and 10 mm hex key socket, and a couple of jackstands to lift up the front of the car, and you will be good to go.

I note that your car is a 2009. I don't think that you need to change the transaxle ATF until 30K miles have been logged, unless you really want to baby your car.