1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the pros and cons of plastic cars?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by FloridaWen, Jun 21, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What are the pros and cons of plastic cars?
    by wcunning - 6/6/07
    In my recent column, The plastic transparent car, http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10895_7-6740435-1.html
    I wrote about increasing use of plastics in car body panels. Would you buy a car with a plastic body?

[attachmentid=9098]

221 CNET readers posts here:
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7811_102-0.htm...nl.e497#2508953

"I want to say one word to you. Just one word."
    "Yes, sir."
    "Are you listening?"
    "Yes, I am."
    "Plastics."

The Graduate, 1967

Attached Files:

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It would help if you put a little bit about the link in the body of your message. I almost never bother to click through on a link if I have no idea what I'm going to find on the other end.

Thanks,
    Tom

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pros:

- dent resistant
    - pretty much rustproof
    - probably cheaper
    - lighter (probably why Toyota used plastic covers over alloys on our rims)
    - easy to replace panels

Cons:
    - harder to paint (take a look at your bumper vs. the body paint)
    - larger panel gaps = more eddy turbulence and unsightly gaps

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My Xebra has a fiberglass body. I see no disadvantages in it.

5. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 22 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]466301[/snapback]</div>
    I am getting VERY interested in ELECTRIC vehicles.......
    Does your Xebra look something like this:
    [attachmentid=9133]
    or more like this model:
    [attachmentid=9134]
    Do you only "charge" it at home?
    Any Commuter parking lots near you that will allow charging (actually have charging stations)??
    Down here in Florida, near Tampa, an electric vehicle would be perfect as long as it can easily travel 60 miles between charges....

Attached Files:

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree with TP, &

Traffic crashes more than 6 mph will need plastc body panel replacment..

I had a saturn dent resistant, but 6 mph and you are replacing a door skin.
    Metal cars you can pull out the dent.... ;)

OMG, what a cute little car, (listening to the circus clown music playing in the background) :D
    [​IMG]
    You wouldn't want to be on the interstate and have a semi pass you doing 75 mph, they'd find you in the trees somewhere. :lol: :lol:

Have you seen the other cars on the Xebra site??? they look like drawnings and those acid trip colors, I guess thats so others will pay attention to you.... :mellow: Oh yeah notice "NO AIR CONDITIONING" :blink:

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never mind plastic, how about hemp? Isn't BMW making door panels out of it?

8. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jun 22 2007, 01:43 AM) [snapback]466220[/snapback]</div>
    My good friend had TWO Saturns, and both had extremely large "gaps" between hood and fender, fender and doors, etc. It was very unsightly. It was so large (about 3/8" - 1/2" gaps) one could almost put your finger in it !! I wondered just WHY did Saturn have to make these gaps so darn large? Was it sloppy workmanship or just an inherent design "flaw" of a plastic panel vehicle? I never found out why. Can you shed some light as to just why they leave such large gaps ??

9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 21 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]465887[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, that is a cute car. I LOVE the transparent panels!
    I wonder if you could put a good reflective tint on them, so the solar gains aren't horrible, without messing up the wonderful view of the world!

My Malibu had a moon roof... I miss that.
    I'd love an entirely transparent roof...

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Big pros of plastic/fiberglass cars is that it's cheaper to tool up for production than with automobiles that are of conventional construction.

Also, over time, as more and more steel fenders or whatever are repeatedly stamped, the tooling wears and panel fit begins to deteriorate.

-----

I think the biggest supposed advantage with plastics is, it's easier to use one platform for a variety of different models. Because you don't have to tool up for a large production run in order to turn a profit, you might be able to do more niche vehicles by creating more unique styles which intentionally don't appeal to a broad market. It's this (at least theoretical) versatility that plastics provide, which some say is a big, big advantage.

However...others say that any of these advantages are offset by the normal problems with smaller runs; you tend to make each unit more slowly and so it becomes more expensive, labor-wise.

Not to mention, you've added a TON of additional parts and such to the inventories which dealers stock, mechanics must work on, etc...just to please a few buyers. And you've got to support those cars for a long time to come.

Also ---and this is BIG with some enthusiasts--- any time you use the same platform for a wide variety of models (especially with vastly different target markets) the single platform tends to be a 'one size fits all' solution that, while being cheaper, doesn't lead to the best product in any of the segments in which it competes.

For example, the sporty version may not benefit from as performance oriented a suspension design, while the practical model won't have quite enough room inside or quite as many unique features because the limitations of the common platform.

Also, the common platform means that things like the rake of the windshield will be the same for every model. This tends to be a giveaway to an increasingly savvy buying public.

I think there may be a bit more to the equasion than the cost of the material used to make a plastic part relative to a steel one. The material costs are small compared to everything else which makes a car expensive.

------

I have to say that your observation about the practial aspects of making such windows roll up and down is *brilliant*

11. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 22 2007, 08:48 AM) [snapback]466343[/snapback]</div>
    My Xebra is like the upper photograph, except it's a garden-pest green rather than blue. It's known as the SD, for "sedan." Allan has the PK ("pickup) which is the lower picture, but his is white. Pictures are in this thread. Where the picture you posted says "ZAP" on the side, mine has a lightning bolt, and below the doors on both sides it says "Electric," and on the back it says "ALL-ELECTRIC ALL THE TIME."

Maximum speed is 40 mph. Not a freeway car, so that issue is moot. Maximum range is 45 miles, but that's because both Allan and I have upgraded battery capacity. They charge overnight from a standard 110-v outlet.

Spokane does not have any charging stations that I know of, but with a 45-mile range I don't need it.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I owned a car with a plastic body. I had a Saturn SC2 coupe 1996. Only the hood, roof and trunk were metal.

No problems. In fact less dings. The paint was fine. No problems.

I must say my Prius has a much more solid KaChunk when the door closes.

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 22 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]466603[/snapback]</div>
    You're really, really making me want to get one of these.

I drive to the transit station, which is about 8-10 miles, roundtrip, daily...I don't need to go faster than 35mph...

I have a soft spot for slow and/or unusual vehicles...and this one's BOTH!!

I am concerned about how effective the HVAC...or should I say, the HV...is. Can do without A/C, stereo, and all the other junk, but I would need to have a heater of some sort...and, most importantly of all, a defroster.

OMG, my size 13EEE carbon-footprint neighbors would probably just shake their heads!!
    [laughing]

14. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Well, honestly, I can think of only one thing I don't like about a plastic body:
    [​IMG]

Yes, that is an extreme case; however, I can't count the number of times I've seen a Saturn with a busted door panel caused by the occasional curb smack when you get out of the car.

It's interesting seeing the inside of a door panel of a vehicle as it drives past.

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 22 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]466636[/snapback]</div>
    The Xebra does have a heater. Really a defroster, as the only vents are up on the dashboard, aimed at the windshield. Of course, use of the heater will reduce your total range, but probably not by terribly much. Note that it goes slower up steep hills, and SF is notorious for hills, but I believe there are Xebra owners there.

But if your daily round trip is only 10 miles, you'd be a candidate for the stock version, which sells for around $10K. I needed 40 miles, so I paid a lot for additional batteries and other improvements.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 22 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]466389[/snapback]</div>
    Because plastics apparently expand and contract more than steel. The gaps are large to allow the panels to expand and still operate properly (e.g. the door). Remember, it'll have to withstand -50°C to +50°C temps. (Say Canadian Arctic to Death Valley)

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does it really matter whether or not the plastic panels have gaping holes from the hail? That metal hood will be scrapped just like the plastic fender.

18. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hopefully the plastic car still has enough metal to trigger the traffic light loops!

19. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 23 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]467036[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, what I was really trying to point out is that I've seen the same thing happen to door panels. It was a mishap that just destroyed the door panel when a metal door would have only dented.

Besides, do we really need another way to use up the oil we're suppose to be conserving?