1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are the signs and symptoms of the ABS actuator failing or starting to fail?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Banksy, Mar 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So I'm curious to what the signs are of the ABS actuator failing. I have a 08 with 250k on it

Does it come on whenever you apply the brakes or periodically when you do?

When at a stop sign or red light I can hear it come on for 3-5 seconds then stop.

Less time for a lot of occasions too. Sometimes when breaking it won't come on at all.

However whenever I start the car it comes on for about 5 seconds along with when I park it

Is this normal or is it demonstrating a symptom that it's starting to get really tired lol?

I looked up on how to do this job and it seems pretty straight forward. Just time consuming.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds fairly normal from what I've heard before.

dolj and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This sounds like the CHRS emptying and filling at start and shutdown, so not actually the actuator. It is normal behavior.

Otherwise agree with SFO.

4. Lobsterbate

Lobsterbate New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, it does mean your actuator is a little tired. Now whether this is a bad thing is subjective. I have talked to many hybrid experts and they all fall on the same conclusion that with the age and mileage of these cars it's acceptable behavior for them to make more noise. But the fact it's making noise means it's working properly still. Drive your car, don't worry about the actuator. If it fails, it's an intermediate DIY and these actuators are for sale 24/7 used. I'm planning on buying one just to store myself.