1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are those vents in the back seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by quixotequest, Jul 25, 2007.

1. quixotequest

quixotequest New Member

When we picked up our Prius I thought those vents on the side of the back seats were A/C vents. But nothing seems to come out of them. What function do they serve?

2. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quixotequest @ Jul 25 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]485087[/snapback]</div>

I thought the same! It would've been nice, but no it's for ventilation of the electric battery located on the back. I think sometimes you'll hear a fan coming from back there, that's if the battery gets too hot. That's what I've heard at least. Hasn't happened to me yet.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quixotequest @ Jul 25 2007, 07:50 PM) [snapback]485087[/snapback]</div>
    Intake vent for the battery. Keep the cabin comfy & the battery stays comfy. I start the AC out at 79 or 80 and may drop it to 77. No negative impact on mpg. I don't ride in the back seat so don't know about passenger comfort back there.

4. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 25 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]485101[/snapback]</div>
    Are there vents for the back seat passengers under the drivers and passengers seats? I haven't looked yet, but the Owners Manual seems to indicate this.

As for the vent next to the seat back in the rear, I read somewhere (owner's manual?) that you shouldn't put anything in front of this (like bokes or clothing). I originally assumed there was risk of overheating the battery, but I suspect the computer protects it from that in most cases. More than likely I'd guess you'd just suffer decreased MPG, and reduced acceleration, as the computer avoids recharging and drawing power from the batteries when they overheat.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We don't have rear "A/C vents", just heating ducts under the front seats.

6. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    B) The vents under allows the a/c to cool the back when it is set for a/c.

7. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 25 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]485165[/snapback]</div>
    Am I missing something here? Does the Prius somehow block the flow through these ducts when the A/C is used? Are these ducts somehow not connected to the same air flow as the dash ducts? Or are we just splitting hairs on the meaning of duct vs. vent?

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jul 25 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]485246[/snapback]</div>
    ummm... well they're called different names because they function slightly different.

They're called "rear seat heating ducts" cause in the winter, when the Auto A/C blows, it blows to the feet to warm your feet up so the rear seat heating ducts only function when the mode is on "Floor" or "Floor/Head" or "Defroster/Floor". (i.e they function like the ducts above the pedals on the driver's side and below the glovebox on the passenger side)

Rear vents (or rear A/C vents) will have air coming out when the mode of the climate control is at the "Head" (i.e. the function the same as the dashboard vents).

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jul 25 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]485123[/snapback]</div>
    I just wanted to quote Danny on this because it's a very important tip. You should never block the battery vent. Ever. This is where the Prius draws air to cool the battery. Covering that vent would be akin to placing a box fan in a window to cool a room and then boarding up the window. All in all, a bad thing.

Your car's not going to explode, your battery's not going to fall out, you're not going to lose your hair (any more than normal). But if that's the imagery you need to remind you to not cover the vents, go for it.

10. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm familiar with the battery air vent/intake/duct/grille/shaft for future lost pennies/blowhole that must not be blocked. (ie, located next to the back, passenger-side door.)

And I saw in the manual, the "airflow arrows" showing air coming from below the 2 front seats, to the rear passengers footwells...

Tideland, are you saying there are also "traditional" AC vents (like front dash has) in the back somewhere, for those passengers? because I've certainly never found them, if so! ;)

11. Danny Hamilton

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChristoB @ Jul 26 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]485335[/snapback]</div>
    No, just the heating ducts that apparently can be used to send cold air to the rear passenger's feet depending on how you configure the climate control settings.

12. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 26 2007, 09:05 AM) [snapback]485334[/snapback]</div>
    Look what happened to me when I blocked the battery vent. :eek:

13. dkit

dkit Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quixotequest @ Jul 25 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]485087[/snapback]</div>
    RTFM

14. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quixotequest @ Jul 25 2007, 07:50 PM) [snapback]485087[/snapback]</div>
    They let the smoke out when the batteries overheat :)

Mike

15. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stringmike @ Jul 27 2007, 01:31 AM) [snapback]485983[/snapback]</div>
    :D :D