1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are you "First"?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Apr 19, 2007.

?
  1. I am (insert ethnicity (Jew, Asian, African, Anglo, etc.) first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am (insert gender or sexuality (Male, Gay, Female, etc.)) first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am (insert national identity (Virginian, European, American, etc.)) first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am (insert religious identity (Hindu, Baptist, atheist, Jew, etc.) first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I am (insert avocation, profession, career, passion (Doctor, intellectual, artist, accountant, scien

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am a human being first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am (insert age group (teenager, 30 something, over the hill, dead, etc.)) first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I am (insert gang affiliation) first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I am (insert ideological identity (liberal, anarchist, conservative, etc.)) first.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I am someth'n else! First!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On the laundry list of our personal identity, we rank at the top those attributes, traits, talents or qualities of which we are most proud, which if lost would cripple the very roots of our soul. And at the very top is what we are “first.†Some of us identify with national identity first, some with religious identity, some with avocation, career or passion, some with ethnic identity, some with gender, some with the sheer fact that we are human beings before we are anything else.

There is of course no “best first†here – they’re all equal crowns on the infinite variety of heads of personality, but I believe how we regard ourselves “first†very much colors our view of the world – indeed puts us at entirely different windows not necessarily even on the same planet (!) as we gaze out and try to make sense of the universe – and of each other.

I’ve tried to keep the list succinct, so consider the choices in the broad context intended – no one will find an exact match. (Jew is a special case: I made it an example in both ethnicity and religion because it goes in either - if you consider yourself a Jew first, pick either ethnic or religious identity according to which you feel fits you best).

To save anyone looking in vain for “Procrastinating Old Fartâ€, I omitted it because honesty would compel me to pick that one for myself, and a list like this should allow us to indulge at least some fantasy about who we are. So I identify myself as a human being first, with intellectual just behind it by a nose in a photo finish.

So, what are you “first�

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm first at replying. :lol:

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm a geek first.

4. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 18 2007, 11:32 PM) [snapback]425885[/snapback]</div>
    You should have put the POF on the list cause nothing else is even close for me. B) :rolleyes:
    On occasion I wander into the christian area but never manage to stay very long. :unsure:
    Wildkow

5. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm a mother first.
    Then a friend.
    Then a Virginian.
    Then an Appalachian-American.
    Then a Hokie. (Even before this event.)
    Then a professional.
    Then left-leaning centrist.

I guess that's the way I scale it...

6. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Apr 19 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]425966[/snapback]</div>
    You made me laugh so hard I squirt my morning coffee out my nose.. You're so far left.. "Left Leaning Centrist" doesn't even come close.

--anyway

I'm an American

7. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    To the right, everyone is "so far left"...

For me, i'm a gentleman above all else. then a Phi Tau. Then an Eagle Scout.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am not anything "first" because I don't consider that categories properly define us. I am just myself. I have many characteristics, but if I were to list them in this context, someone would insist that whatever I happened to put at the beginning of the list was what I consider myself "first" because I had put it first.

Many people do indeed consider themselves to be "first" a nationality, or a religion, or a color, etc., and perhaps this is a natural product of the human mind. But I resist the impulse.

I am not any category, though I have characteristics, and others will categorize me according to their own views of me. I am just who I am.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'm a survivor. the rest of my life couldn't have happened without me doing that first.

11. Loveit

Loveit New Member

I am ALIVE!

12. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 19 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]425973[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, you should be a political moderate, like, say, Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh.

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 19 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]425993[/snapback]</div>
    Well said..... ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 19 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]425973[/snapback]</div>
    LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: Been there done that, even got the button... :)

14. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 19 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]425999[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, you should be a political moderate, like, say, Michael Moore or Al Gore.

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Somehow none of those really fit. Guess that makes me Other.

16. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Apr 19 2007, 10:35 AM) [snapback]426006[/snapback]</div>
    Tee-hee. You ultra-conservatives are funny. Equating hard left Michael Moore with slightly left of center Al Gore; with such lack of perspective, is it any wonder you got trounced the last election? But please, do keep it up, so the Good Guys will walk away with the 2008 election, too!

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I am a 'mystery':
    to my kid,
    to my wife,
    to my self,
    to my dog,
    to the CA bar,
    to my students,
    to my family,
    to my neighbors,
    to my life,
    to my self,
    to the judges I serve,
    to the property associations I serve,
    to the bosses I serve,
    Only Christ knows what the hecks going on in here :)

18. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I appreciate Daniel's perspective and his urge to resist at least openly classifying himself.

Personally I resist that in an ideological way too, but in practice, I can't help but categorize myself based on my thinking and my behavior. I chose the "avocation/profession" first because any time I'm faced with a new situation, a challenge or problem, my first thought is always how I can integrate it into my art, or how I can solve a problem with art. Lots of life's problems sadly can't be solved through art though.

19. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 19 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]426057[/snapback]</div>
    The Democrats are doing a great job in making sure a Democrat President won't be elected. With their lack of desire to support our troops and all..

That is funny though, "slightly left of center Al Gore"..

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The passion part is what got my vote. I do identify with my passion. It is something that nobody gave me and now seems to define me.