1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are your tricks to good MPG in your "other" c

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by rookie, Apr 22, 2005.

1. rookie

rookie New Member

I am just curious... I am somewhat of the MPG freak on my current ride (2002 Nissan Altima 2.5, manual 5 speed). I drive 53 miles a day on my regular commute to and from work. It's about 40% city : 60% highway. The Prius (on order) will replace my wife's car though, I just paid off my Alti. :)

Anyway, I am getting 29-30 MPG in my Alti tank after tank (during my commute), this is measured at the pump, not from trip computer. I always refuel at the same station and never top off. I drive until the light comes on, at which point I can squeeze a little over 16 gallons in.

Few things that made a noticable difference for my MPG:

1. Using non-alcohol STP fuel injector cleaner every oil change (7K miles for me) - first time I used it (after 20K miles) - my MPG went up by 2MPG, now its constant since I use it periodically.

2. Using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 oil - it gives me 30-40 miles/tank difference. I have confirmed that twice - after original synthetic oil change and once when the dealer did a recall and changed my oil without asking me - my MPG went down. Later I found they put in dino juice and not Synthetic. When I switched back - my MPG went back up :) Again, I make it work 7000 miles between changes.

3. Using Shell gas (cheapest stuff, per the manual). This is strange, but I tested every single brand from home to work for few tanks. Shell always gives me about 30 miles more per tank?? But hey - whatever it likes...

I drive with 33 PSI tires (manufacturer's recommendation is 31, but I have tires that are a little wider than stock).

I tend to shift at 3K RPM. When at hwy, I cruise at about 3K too (75 MPH). I don't drive like a granny, but I don't stomp on it all the time either (OK, sometimes I redline it but not often :) )

MPG game is just that - a game for me. Wonder what do you guys do on your cars? Hybrids are a different category, that's understood.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Coasting in 'no arrow' mode. This is when the engine is off and nothing is powering the car (including the battery)

2) "Brisk" acceleration to desire speed then feathering to use the battery to maintain the speed

3) Some choose the route that yields the best mileage if multiple routes are available.

4) A/C on at highway speeds

5) Anticipate traffic movement and lights (although really, this should apply to everyone). Keeping momentum helps but also slowing down slowly allows us to recapture the kinetic energy rather than using our brake pads.

That's all I can think of. I'm sure others will chime in and complete the list :D