1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What are your views about clean burning diesel?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by silentak1, Oct 11, 2006.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was watching TV and they were mentioning that clean burning diesel engines are coming into full production, much like the CDI's in Europe. They even mention that clean diesel engines are the way of the future, not hybrids. These will be obviously fully modern, quiet, and powerful motors. Nothing mentioned about Hydrogen.

What do you think?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 11 2006, 02:41 AM) [snapback]331065[/snapback]</div>
    The upcoming clean diesel (ULSD) enables automakers to include cleaning hardware without the worry that they will lose effectiveness quickly due to sulfur build-up. It also reduces emissions of vehicles already on the road. Initially, all it will provide is a means for automakers to now be able to sell new diesel vehicles in CARB states, since they will finally be able to meet minimum criteria. However, it does not mean the emissions are in any way competition with hybrids.

That's what the SULEV and PZEV ratings are for. They clearly indicate whether or not the vehicle is truly an improvement. Otherwise, the new diesel vehicles are just another choice among the standard traditional selection we already have. (And yes, some diesel supporters absolutely hate when I point that out.)

In short, it's the first step... a very good one, but not enough alone to compete with.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Actually the combination of very high mpg and very low emissions means that they ARE competition for hybrids. THey also produce more torque than comperable gas engines. Clean diesel is a huge part of the automobile's future.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    is it comparable if "very low" means ONLY 50% more...or is it 80% more? even 20% more over millions of vehicles would be an issue

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Oct 11 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]331076[/snapback]</div>
    From what I've seen, it looks like they are directly comperable to hybrids in emissions.

Now if they built a clean diesel hybrid...

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 11 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]331086[/snapback]</div>
    What have you seen?

I certainly haven't come across any article or press release that states a diesel with a rating of SULEV or PZEV will actually be available. Yes, there are prototypes delivering that level of clean, but nothing planned for production anytime soon.

The biggest problem is cost. That extra cleansing hardware adds to the final price, which basically cancels out any monetary benefit... especially when you consider that it has a minor negative effect on efficiency as well. Also, diesels aren't really competive in stop & slow (daily commute) type traffic anyway... quite different from the "full" hybrids.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well this is probably old news but last year when i first saw something on it, they were supposed to be even cleaner than the tough european standards, but comparable to a Prius???.... not even close.

havent bothered to read anything on them lately so their specs may have changed.

as far as ratings go, there are other non hybrid cars that achieve SULEV status but if they get 30% less gas mileage they simply are not comparable to the Prius imm. same goes for a diesel that gets both less mileage and is slightly dirtier. it all counts.

i guess it boils down to settling for better or settling for the best. imm, the best is the only option, especially considering that it can be had without paying the premium price that so many other products demand

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 11 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]331090[/snapback]</div>
    I can't remember right off hand. I know I read some of it in a couple of car magazines. Don't remember which ones or what issue though (I subscribe to pretty much all of them, so it gets tough to keep articles straight). I'll try and see if I can find where I read it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 11 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]331090[/snapback]</div>
    You know, this is the exact same argument against hybrids as well...

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why either diesels or hybrids? Is there some reason I don't know of that a diesel engine wouldn't work just as well, if not better, than a gasoline engine in a hybrid vehicle?

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Oct 11 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]331153[/snapback]</div>
    A diesel hybrid would work very well.

Tom

11. molgrips

molgrips Member

Are you talking about engines like the new Honda diesel? I checked it out - the new Civic diesel has similar (maybe better on highway) fuel economy, maybe a third more CO2 than the Prius. It also has half the NOx emissions of the next best diesel, but TEN TIMES the NOx of the Prius. Alongside more CO2..

You can get cars with better FE than the Prius over here (just - and those cars would be tiny tiny city cars even by our standards) but nothing touches it for emissions.

So what's more important, the environment or your wallet?

By the way, the Civic diesel looks like it'll be brilliant fun to drive with almost sportscar performance... :)

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Oct 11 2006, 08:34 AM) [snapback]331153[/snapback]</div>
    take a look at this
    as you can see, the initial results, minus 6 years of battery and combustion improvements makes a Prius look like a gas guzzler. so YES!! a diesel would work much better. but alas!! the oil and U.S. automobile industry won out in its battle to make us drive crap. they just didnt plan for a mass exodus to a REAL car company like Toyota.

sales figures YTD just out. Toyota more than 25% increase in sales. one of the biggest single year improvements ever and by far the most by a top seller. sure, its easy for #10 to improve that much, but how many times has #2 done that??

just to add to the post. a diesel electric option would be nice AND expensive

Attached Files:

13. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I too have read that they are supposed to achieve equal or higher mpg to hybrids, but pollute more. Does anyone have any emissions data for comparison?

14. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you add something like this to the Hybrid/Diesel mix, things get interesting:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/23/2008-vw...tted-in-the-us/

It's the 2008 VW Jetta TDI. Not only is it 50 state clean, it doesn't require any Urea injection. Not only is it clean, it develops 40 more hp than the old version, and gobs more torque (240 ft-lbs). So it has 40% more HP than the old TDI (which means it should be gobs faster), it's also supposed to be more efficient (VW has quoted, off the cuff, 40/60, as their real world experience). And, the kicker, the TDI gets great mileage and is substantially heavier than the Prius. But the added weight shows up in build quality (Jetta doesn't creak) and safety ratings (Jetta is better).

To be honest, with that mileage, safety, and build quality, it's very compelling against my Prius.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Clean fossil fuel" is an oxymoron.

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 11 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]331256[/snapback]</div>
    Not necessarily. Even electric vehicles pollute, and as it's "behind the scenes" people forget about it. The power has to be made somewhere, and until solar and/or wind become prevalent, that is most likely coal.

There is currently no "perfect" vehicle.

17. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess the build quality of a Hummer is much better than a Lexus?
    After seeing three different friends go though hell with their Jettas' quality problems I'll stay away from Volkswagons until they can demonstrate some long term reliability again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 11 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]331250[/snapback]</div>

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 11 2006, 11:11 AM) [snapback]331250[/snapback]</div>
    I hope that 240lb-ft works. The current Jetta TDI does 13 seconds, which is comparable to the first gen Prius and HCH. I know diesels have waaay more torque but I think it's the low horsepower that stops them from getting the same punch as petrol engines with the same torque figure. I mean, 240lb-ft of torque from a petrol engine in a Jetta should mean 0-60 times of 5-6 seconds (assuming the gear ratios are the same for the two engines).

Also, it better be as good as you and they claim hehe. I've already started seeing black smoke come out of the current Passat and Jetta TDIs in my area. I don't know if it's the fuel or the fact that the owners aren't as well educated on diesel engines. (i.e. tune ups and start up/shut down)

19. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 11 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]331215[/snapback]</div>
    I saw a chart recently, but went back to my usual sites and couldn't find it. Basically with the new low-sulfur diesel that is being rolled out this month (delayed a bit after it was first signed into law by Clinton), soot is down 30%, hydrocarbons down something like 80% and CO2 down 90% from the old diesel engines. That wasn't compared against gas engines however. The big thing is that with low-sulfur fuel, pollution control devices can be added that won't be destroyed by the pollution itself, and so diesel cars can meet 50-state emissions.