1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What bolts are they securing the under panel of catalysis converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ttmn, May 25, 2023.

1. ttmn

ttmn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG] first time posting - I want to install Miller cat catalysis converter cage on prius 2009. It said to remove the 3 nuts on the semi circle under panel cover that covers the head of the catalysis converter - just next to the metal cross bar where the jack point is. Well, I broken off the bolt while unscrewing the nut using the 10mm socket. I need to know what is the part number for this bolt to replace - I hope it is a 10mm (not sure how long) bolts I can get anywhere - hope to get something that will hold up weather - the one I broken off was rusted. I hope it is just a simple drop the bolt in and screw it up with the nut, nothing complicated behind it.

2. ttmn

ttmn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I found the cover where the bolts I broke off - after hours of search though part diagrams -
    Toyota 51443-47010 Cover, Engine Under
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius 5144347010
    So it is a single part drawing - not part diagrams
    so what is the bolts used - I assume it is still a typical 10mm body bolt - just long enough to get through the the cover and my new miller cat cage - I am only jacking up the car, so I don't really like to stay longer than I needed to or try to cut off the excess.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes it's 10mm but If I remember correctly they're welded onto the frame and you can't simply replace the part...

If it were me, I'd either drill it out and use a regular hardware bolt in its place, or just drill a new hole thru the shield and into the frame and put a rivet in it like the rivets that you'll use on the sides...

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't be certain because part numbers don't work on a google search very well and you didn't provide a specific link or image... But in looking through what that part number could be, I think it's just the plastic cover that you found and once the shield is installed you don't want to put that plastic cover back on because people who do get noises.

More to the point, never crawl under a car with just a tire changing jack holding it up. You absolutely have to put up an additional support to hold the car up. Just find a solid log, or some bricks or jack stands. Your life literally depends on having redundancy to hold the car up if the jack fails.