1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What brand brake pads are better than OEM?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by vitocavallo, Feb 17, 2016.

1. vitocavallo

vitocavallo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    My 2010 Prius hit 59,000 miles. I need rear brakes again after 3 year and 30K.
    I also need front.
    Dealer wants $950 for rears and fronts. I drive mostly city and back roads, so that is why they wear so fast.

Has anyone installed a better pad than OEM? I cant replace pads every 3 years.

Do I need to replace rotors as well? I have not looked at the existing ones, but I dont have any pulsing when I brake.

Thank you

Andyprius1 and ou812 like this.
  2. ou812

ou812 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Akebono Brake Pads front and rear, I just had the rotors turned (I had time and car wasn't needed quickly). make sure you lube up the pins well..

3. 2012PiP

2012PiP New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was looking at Akebono's also-did you get the ceramic? Looking at these for less dust than OEM. Notice any difference?

ou812 likes this.
  4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $950 is way too much to pay for a brake job. This is really easy work. Parts are under $300 for four sets of good pads and rotors, and you can find cheaper than that at AutoZone.

kenoarto and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  5. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    sounds like caliper problems not pads

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Prius brakes should be lasting along time, my vehicle has 109k and it's barely half worn down. I know the 2010 Prius has some brake recalls, I would definitely check if there's any recall on the brake boosters or brake system in general. Then if not, I would inspect why it's wearing out so quickly. It's not usual for the Prius brake pads to get worn down after only putting in 59k miles or 3 years 30k.

kmsbanr and ou812 like this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I was taking off the snow tires on ours a few days back, and noted the fronts were maybe around 6 mm. We're around 59,000 kilometers, roughly 5/8 of your mileage odometer. New front pad thickness is 10 mm, so I'd speculate by the time we get to 59,000 miles the pads will down to around 3 mm remaining, similar to your usage.

If your rotors look fine and you're not feeling any pulsing they are very likely fine. You might want to check thickness and runout, if you have any concerns:

Disc thickness: 25 mm new, 22 mm service limit
    Disc runout: 0.05 mm (0.00197 inch) max

Regarding "I cant replace pads every 3 years": Toyota front pads and shims will cost around $100 through a dealership parts department. It's a relatively easy DIY to replace them yourself. I for sure would also lube the caliper pins while you're in there. I wouldn't bother with third party pads, no real advantages.

Attached Files:

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  8. ou812

ou812 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ProACT ceramic pads, just make sure too check and lube the pins really well. shims come with the pads and make sure your grease is compatible with rubber brake parts some aren't (Permatex). you will more than likely have to grease the pins again after 3 or 4 years. The pads will last for over 100,000 miles or more if you check and maintain the pins. Nice quiet braking is all i noticed.

#8 ou812, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  9. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We have 135k and the pads are not due for replacement until 150k (my guess) -- I purchased the OE pads from a dealer online. They are not overpriced of high quality and designed for the car .... why would you go shopping for something different?

10. Topp Cat

Topp Cat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i suggest to take it to another shop for a estimate, one cannot make a accurate estimate without a full proper inspection.

11. TRUC NGUYEN

TRUC NGUYEN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i guess you defined better by longer lasting. the only problem is the short lived OEM pads are not due to lack of quality but rather pads sticking due to lack of pin lubrication, or wrong installation, or rust buildup. however, there was a TSB on rear pads and they were revised, so maybe there was a room for improvement.

as for favorite brands, it's very subjective, just like oil brands. i personally had the longest lived pads from Autozone own brand, cheap Duralast. it was a different car though.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've looked at images of both the original and revised rear pads, and as far as I can see the difference was the amount of bevel on the leading/trailing edges of the pad: it was increased on the revised pad.

I suspect the main issue with rear pads was improper installation; it is too easy to have the caliper piston cross spoke pattern riding up on the back of pad locking pin. Even if they're located properly at install, if they're not well seated before first application of parking brake, this can happen, and it messes everything up.

14. vitocavallo

vitocavallo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks everyone for the replies. A service tech of this Toyota dealership says the salt and sand from living in New England could be a culprit with short brake pad life. They make the caliper stick because they gum up the pins. I was also told the rear pads are small because car is supposed to slow down with regen braking. I am not the only complainer of the short lived pads.

All this does not help with driving my Prius like a go kart with hard braking and acceleration. Might be time to drive like I should, with planned stops and coasting, etc. But that is not as fun...

Thanx again

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah brake maintenance does not begin and end with pad replacement: periodic inspection is warranted, and specd in the maintenance schedule, regardless of remaining pad thickness. Caliper pin relube, pad/shim disassemble and relube, rotor inspection, all of these should be done periodically, both for longevity of the system, and safety.

kmsbanr likes this.
  16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Listen, forget all the tech talk: $950 for a brake job is WAY too expensive. A reputable independent garage will charge you half that. This is a very simple repair job; there's nothing Prius-special about it. A very junior mechanic can handle this. Don't pay $950.

17. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with rebound. You can do this yourself in your garage with the right tools. 950$ is way over price. Most you'll probably spend is around 100-150$ for the rear brake pads and rotors.

Also living near a beach or sandy area doesn't help your brake system. Keep all your brake hardware lube periodically like Mendel suggest. Good luck :)

18. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just replaced my rear brakes for no good reason. I have 112k+ miles and the left inside pad was 7.16mm and the outside 6.34mm and the right side was very similar 6.49mm and 6.11mm. Standard thickness is 9.5mm in rear pads. Rotors are 8.37mm left and 8.32mm right. Standard thickness is 9mm.

It took a little while because I didnt want to screw it up so I went slow. The only thing I had to do was depress the caliper piston really hard when turning. It would not go in on either side by just turning it. I had to apply force while turning. I didn't disconnect the battery. I just parked it and opened the hood and put the keys inside, then gathered up my tools and went to work. I had no problems and the brakes seem to work well with no codes.

Tomorrow I am going to change the front pads for no good reason also.

When I get some help and have time I will replace all the brake fluid. Probably next weekend.

I wouldn't pay $900 to anyone to do this. Rear brake pads could be done very quickly for someone that has done it before, with a lift and everything at hand, the rear can be done in 30-45 minutes easy. Another 15 minutes to replace the rotors. So one hour labor for a whole rear brake job should be the rate not including flushing and bleeding. Front should be similar and both front and rear could be done in less than two man hours. Not counting parts that should be about $200 at most. If nothing goes wrong or no problems are found.

Rebound likes this.
  19. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The price from the dealer is full list on all new parts and full labor rate. I'm sure the labor is $300.00 at least with no flush included.

Another thing about dealers -- they will often recommend pad replacement when just below 1/2 remaining --- you have to ask if t's necessary or recommended! Many manufacturers no longer just replace pads. It's pads and rotors -- modern rotors are not designed to be cut like the old thick sold rotors of years ago. If the rotors have any lip they most likely have reached the limit and need to be replaced -- some only have 1mm .. not very much. Need to always check.

kenoarto likes this.
  20. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like Hawk pads and use them on my other cars. The only issue with them is that they like to be heated up a lot before they work well. Because of this, I wouldn't use Hawk's on a Prius since the pads probably don't get hot enough due to regen doing most of the work.