1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What brand of gas do you use for you prius? Im currently using vallero and it seems like it runs out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bluemoonseller, Nov 9, 2007.

1. bluemoonseller

bluemoonseller Junior Member

What brand of gas do you use for you prius? Im currently using vallero and it seems like it runs out fast, Does it actually matter? My friend also claims that chevron's gas lasts longer than vallero, true?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluemoonseller @ Nov 9 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]537452[/snapback]</div>
    This is a tricky topic and the answer seems to be a big maybe possibly sometimes but no way to know. Ethanol if present in the blend reduces milage 1-2 MPG in theory. Around this time of year the gasoline changes to be lighter for the winter and perhaps in part due to this and the fact that the hybrid engine just does better when warm, my Prius seems to get at least 3-4 mpg less in winter. I was thinking about trying mid grade this winter (which may be a little heavier density on average) to see if it makes a difference. Gasolines are equal re: Octane, but in fact they are all wildly different on a molecular level and possible inherent mileage differences, but no way to know what you are putting in the tank unless you measured other properties such as density for example. Since gasoline is a commodity and could come from anywhere, no way to know if you are getting the same stuff every time you pull into any given station. Years ago I used to try the Amoco Super Clear and in that rare example that was probably a more constant recipe from Amoco, but nothing like that today that I know of. I wish we could buy ethanol-free gasoline to max out mpg, and you can depending on your region.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use BJ's mostly and also,Shell and Exxon. I notice Sunoco gets a mpg or 2 less.

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only put Shell in mine.

I'll admit to being scared of the thought of fuel injector issues. I've had bad tanks of gas before, in other cars (like an entire tank of water, once. Yes, the station paid for the towing fees and the shop fees on that fiasco).

Also, I believe that the engine computer has to fine-tune the engine to run on the particular octane of the gas. It takes two or three tanks for our Buick to settle into running her best, if we switch gas on her. The Prius may be able to adjust quicker, but I prefer not to chance it.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluemoonseller @ Nov 9 2007, 07:57 PM) [snapback]537452[/snapback]</div>
    What is your MPG? That's really the measure to go by, not how fast it runs out. Have you checked your mileage using Vallero compared to other brands?

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I buy Shell due to the rebate on their MasterCard. Noticed zero difference on the Intrigue (always 25mpg). Too many variables to attribute the Prius' mpg to the gasoline.

8. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bluemoonseller @ Nov 9 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]537452[/snapback]</div>
    You might try a couple of tanks of Chevron to see if your friend's observations apply to your car and driving style.

Another reason to use Chevron gas is the detergent content. See http://www.toptiergas.com/ for more information. I don't recall Valero being on the list of top tier compliant gas providers.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here in Chicagoland, we have additives to our gasoline including up to 10% ethanol. To make matters worse, in the winter, we switch over to winter fuel which has even more additives.

However, in Southern Wisconsin (I live VERY North of Chicago) there are places where you can find 100% gasoline with no ethanol. I can easily tell the improved energy potential of pure gas versus gas with additives. The difference is very apparent when accelerating and pulsing. The instant mileage reading is much higher with pure gasoline. This, of course, translates to a higher tank average.

This doesn't answer your original question directly. But if you can identify whether or not certain stations add ethanol or other additives you should be able to arrive at your answer.

But of course, that just opens another question. Is it better to get higher mileage on pure gasoline or better to get lower mileage on a gas/ethanol mix?

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will go well out of my way to get fuel from United, Liberty or South Australian Farmers Fuel as I know they sell E10. I only use E10 and I use 4.3 L/100km of E10.

I find if I have to use another fuel it's because I'm on a trip maybe driving 1000km in a day and I find the other fuels don't seem to last a day. :D