1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What can I add/not add to a 2005 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KCobby, Aug 27, 2009.

1. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi all,

I've only been able to find bits a pieces of information on this so I thought I'd just ask the forum directly.

I missed getting into C4C and therefore I'm considering taking (buying) my parents 05 Prius. However, the car doesn't have some features I would like and I'm wondering what I am able to add on. Here is my list:

1. Bluetooth
    2. Back up camera
    3. Vehicle Stability Control
    4. Stereo with iPod or Aux in jack

These things are what I really wanted in a Prius but are not on my parents 05. Can you help me figure out what would be possible, what would be recommended from the dealer, and what is best for aftermarket? I'm assuming the VSC might not be possible at all, is that right? Any idea of prices for the above? Should I maybe just wait until I find a Prius with all those options installed?

Any help/info/opinions would be appreciated. And thanks!!!

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's very difficult to add "stock" Toyota options to a car that came without them. The wires aren't in the car, for example. The backup camera could only be used with a MFD intended for it.

There is good news, however. There are "non-integrated" bluetooth modules you can put in the car. There are also aftermarket backup cameras. VSC is not possible without a -lot- of work/rebuilding and fairly high cost. The iPod or Aux in jack can be added by any competent car audio store. It will be aftermarket. They could also do the backup camera for you as well as the bluetooth. They may be able to do all with a replacement radio. Cost would be the only real factor.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO here's something important to consider. If you are tied to the used market, buying from your parents offers one huge advantage. Assuming your relationship with your parents is decent, you should have a good idea about vehicle history and maintenance. You should know how your parents have treated the vehicle and what history it has. If you shop for a used off a lot, or even private party you lose that advantage. Even a CarFax like report, won't be as revealing as having your Parents as the previous owners.

Of course, if the reality is that your parents are tough on automobiles, and don't maintain them well, you also know that as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another reason to purchase the used car from your parents is that you might avoid paying sales or "use" tax depending upon your state. For example in CA, if you buy a used vehicle from a private party then you must pay use tax equivalent to the sales tax applicable in that locale, when you register the vehicle with the CA DMV.

However if you buy the car (or receive it as a gift) from a close relative then you don't have to pay this tax. On a $25K vehicle this is a ~$2K savings. Then you can invest that savings into the aftermarket accessories that you decide upon.

1 person likes this.
  5. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks everyone for the great points! Looks like the stability control is out of the picture, :eek:hwell: but maybe I can figure a way to get some of the other items I'm looking at via aftermarket.

Good points about knowing the history of the car my parents own (used only for light commuting - 30k miles) and saving some money as a gift. They can "gift" me the car and I can give them some money as an unspecified loan!

I basically just want to drive a hybrid - I'm tired of burning gas with my Passat! But it's SO easy to get lured in to the techy coolness of some added gadgetry! Anyway, I'm just looking to save gas...

Thanks - if anyone else has further thoughts, please let me know.

Cheers!
    :thumb:

6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some non-Toyota goodies I added to my '06 and like:

1) tinted windows (a MUST!)

2) leather upholstery

3) Infinity speakers, subwoofer and amp

4) better tires

Things I don't have but would like:

1) nice all weather mats

2) ventshades (maybe - I'd like to know if they add noise)

3) aftermarket wheels

Things I would avoid:

1) big honkin' muffler

2) fake hood scoop

3) big wing on roof

:pound:

7. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you looking to use less gas to save money, or to use less gas?

8. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes!!

No, seriously, I guess both things - less gas in general, AND to save money. Are they contrary?

PriusLewis - love to know more about the stereo upgrade...can you PM me or post with more info??

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Toyota ventshades I put on Pearl didn't add any noise and didn't affect fuel economy. In Canada they sell the type that are stuck on with double sided tape, not the type that go into the window slots. The double sided tape was not stuck well on the plastic. I installed them on the car, and properly cleaned and primed the vehicle. They came loose, and when the dealer parts guy tried to refuse warranty I pointed out the tape was still stuck on the vehicle, and came off the plastic ventshade. I got warranty. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a bunch for the info. My custom shop (they did my tint and stripes) sell Ventshades, which I have had on my last 2 vehicles. Since they don't add any wind noise on your car, I will for sure add them to mine (poor man's solar ventilation - leave all the windows down a fraction since they are covered by the ventshades).

Very cool move on the warranty. Hard to fault that logic. OTOH, you can get the 3M industrial double-sticky foam-backed tape from auto paint shops and re-apply it. Ventshades (the brand of that name) uses 3M and I've had great luck with them.

11. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll save money in gas. BUT when you add the cost of buying the prius vs keeping your current car you'll notice that you'll have to drive A LOT of miles before you even break even.

Please dont everyone attack me over my numbers, its just a basic example.

Ive driven 210,000+ Miles in my Prius. The average cost per gallon has probably been around $2.75. I average around 46 mpg.
    Over the lifetime of the car Ive probably spent around $12500 ((210,000miles/46mpg)*$2.75) on gas.

If your passat averaged 28 mpg, then youd spend ~$20,500 or only ~$8000 more. (Thats over the 210,000 miles)

Im sure the Prius will cost you more than $8000, and its doubtful that most people will take their Prius upto 200,000 miles.

12. KCobby

KCobby Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, very valid point for sure! I think a few years ago when I used the Edmunds.com "whether a hybrid is right for you" calculator, the exact same argument was used. So, to answer your question more thoroughly, I want mainly to reduce my CO2 - using less gas, and saving money while I'm doing it (sort of...):D

My folks are giving me a deal I can't refuse...not far away from what your cost figure. And I'll give you one last number - my Passat, according to the EPA, gets 18mpg! From my experience, they're damn close.

Anyway...thanks for the feedback. :thumb:

13. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get a Garmin 265W or equivalent - navigation and bluetooth all in 1, and all for under $200!

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    KCobby, inflate the tires ($0) & block the grill (cheap) to improve FE. Buy a ScanGauge so you can see what's happening which will improve the efficiency of your driving.