1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What can I use for a "cargo net" to protect the kids?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vfrben, Aug 10, 2006.

1. vfrben

vfrben Junior Member

I'm a newbie here, and this is my first post. We have a long car trip coming up, and things will be packed pretty high in the back... higher than the roll-out cover. Is there some kind of cargo net or pet gate that can stretch across the back, just behind the passenger seats, that would keep stuff from flying forward into the kids in the event of a quick stop?

Thanks, Ben
    2006 Pkg. 5

2. Agontyr

Agontyr New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vfrben @ Aug 10 2006, 11:37 PM) [snapback]301297[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome, Ben.

There's no net that stretches across the back of the car that I know of, but there are LOTS of cargo nets available in most auto parts stores like Pep Boys that will go -over- a pretty large mound of stuff. I've got one that I'll be using one with a couple of bungee cords for extra length when needed.

It might help you lower the height of the pile if you remove the cargo area floor and start your packing in the space below it. Also, since you won't be using the roll-over cover, leaving it home may give you more room below/behind the top edge of the rear seat.

3. Bearcatzzz

Bearcatzzz Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vfrben @ Aug 10 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]301297[/snapback]</div>
    I don't remember the title of the thread, but I saw a recent post w/pictures about somebody installing a pet gate in the back of their prius. I did a quick search, but I couldn't find the thread. If I remember correctly they took a pet fence divider designed for a Minivan (i think) and installed it so that it would fit the prius. Sorry, I can't be of much help. I have some ideas but this owner had actually done it. Good luck.

4. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vfrben @ Aug 10 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]301297[/snapback]</div>
    Although this may not work in your situation, when we are filling the trunk to capacity we use a large suitcase standing upright, against the back seat, to effectively 'raise' the barrier. Soft items will then get crammed into the remaining open space.

Good luck....

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't think a spider net would work as it won't stretch enough for contents that are that "full".

There are petgates that do stretch from floor t ceiling making a little holding cell for the dogs in the cargo area. I don't have one and have no use for one so I've never searched for one. But I know they exist, I've seen them in catalog.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try a those floor-to-wall gates that they use on wagons for dogs.

Otherwise, just raise all 3 headrests to the max position. The centre one goes up pretty far.

7. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are worried about cargo moving forward in the event of an accident and you are going to a lot of driving with a capacity load in the back you might consider making a wire barrier.
    Go to a shop that sells fencing type mesh. Cut a piece of mesh slightly less than the width of the back of the back seat, bend about a foot or so that it will lie flat on the floor and the body of the mesh will stand up and follow the contour of the back of the back seat. The mesh should continue up to just under the roof.
    Use two tie down straps to anchor the top of the mesh to the back tie down rings.
    The weight of items standing on the floor part of the mesh will keep it in place. The top cannot move forward so all item should be retained where they belong.
    If you want to extend the cargo are by folding down the back seats you can do so by using a similar technique. This time bend the mesh so that it rests on the seat between the the part that you normally sit on and the back seat when folded down - like a wire mesh sandwich. Once again the mesh will continue up to the roof. Use four straps to prevent the mesh moving forward. The straps from the front tie down points will anchor the bottom of the mesh and the strap from the back tie down points will anchor the top of the mesh.
    Don't forget to make an envelope out of canvass or some similar type material to go over the mesh between the seat parts to stop the mesh poking holes in your upholstery.
    Make sure the mesh is strong enough to take a load in an accident.
    There are other ways of stopping cargo from moving forward, it is just a matter of deciding which suits your needs.

8. Zerkster

Zerkster New Member

Curious my good man Mr. Orf, if you happen to have done this and have a picuter to give a better visual aid?

I carry as much in my Prius as i did in my '03 Xterra even my 8' latter :p

9. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No real solution other than what others have suggested, but if I were worried about cargo striking the passengers in the back of the head in the event of an accident, I'd pack less to start with.

At the very least, try putting the heaviest stuff on the bottom (this is also good for weight distribution). Remember the MythBusters episode where they simulated head-on collisions with different objects setting on the rear deck? The bowling ball did much more damage to the occupants than did a tissue box.

10. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zerkster @ Aug 12 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]302187[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I have not done it in my Prius but have thought about it. I did do it in a station wagon several years ago.
    Get your self a piece of cardboard and a pair of scissors and go to your car and cut out a template. Fold the cardboard as described in my previous post and you will get the idea. Just play around until it looks right.
    Take the cardboard out and flatten it. Measure the size and you will know what size piece of mesh to buy.
    The mesh needs to be substantial enough to stand up by itself but does not need to be too heavy.
    A 2-3 inch mesh should suffice.
    The straps to the tie down points will be taking most of the weight in the event of an accident. The straps need to have a hook on both ends. Hook one end to the rear tie down ring, the other to the mesh in the top corner.
    An alternative is to make a metal frame similar to the outline of the mesh and bind a cargo net to it. The net would only have to cover the area from about 2/3 the way up the back of the seat to the roof. This method is not recommended if it is for the seat folded down style because the give in the net would allow cargo to move forward and slam into the back of the front seats. The net method would not be as strong but would be lighter than the mesh and would be void of sharp edges.

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    One thing others haven't posted you could try is to head to the hardware store and get some hooks (like the ones in the floor for the cargo net) and mount them up at the height of the seats, maybe even put two in the ceiling. taht would give you the flexibility of a cargo net only up higher for larger loads.