1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What can you do with Windows Phone?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yukit, Dec 29, 2012.

1. yukit

yukit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a Lumia 720 Windows Phone 8 on T-Mobile. It is a 2nd phone I use occasionally so I wanted to see how it would work with a Prius head-unit (mine is a pip basic navigation version)

I got Bluetooth phone & music streaming working without any issues, but I can't seem to get it to connect to internet with Bluetooth PAN configuration. This could be that Windows Phone does not provide the tethering in Bluetooth profile.

Of course there is no Entune available for Windows Phone anyways, so even if I can get the Bluetooth tethering to work, I am not sure if I can get any of the apps on the head-unit to do anything useful anyways.

So I am just curious if anyone got a Prius head-unit to connect to internet with a Windows Phone, and actually do something useful.

TIA

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are one in 50 people that purchased a Windows 8 phone in the world. Take it back unless you work for Microsoft.

Cristino and pichner like this.
  3. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    iirc WP8 does not support DUN or PAN, they also don't support SPP. Entune requires SPP.
    they only do Wifi tethering iirc. WS should get rid of old tech when devices out there still supports old tech.

4. Jason Ward

Jason Ward New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No offense, but that's a bullshit answer if I've ever seen one. The fact is, WP8 devices, especially Lumia's, have sold millions worldwide. Additionally, they support tons of great features.

I upgraded from an iPhone to a Lumia 920, and it's a superior device in every way.

Any inability to perform functions like streaming, etc are Toyota's failure, not WP8's--it supports them well, and I've used it to stream in everything from BMW's to Kias, just FYI.

Luis138 likes this.
  5. CTitanic

CTitanic Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  6. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    streaming audio works with the system as stated by TS, so is Toyota's failure??

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I will be considering anything OTHER than an android phone next time. Might even go back to a simple Nokia that just makes calls and lasts a week between charges.

Having the ability to receive Facebook updates at every other minute so friends of old can share with me what they had for lunch, is not high on my list of requirements. Making calls reliably and having a good signal are.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but for me tech has to have a use. The Prius is techie and has a use. But the ability to play Angry Birds at a restaurant isn't.