1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What CD burning programs for the Mac transfer track names?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rattiemama, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Rattiemama

Rattiemama New Member

This is my first post here. I got my my 2005 silver Prius with the nav system about three weeks ago, and I really love it. I've been lurking here for some time, and you have all been a huge help. Thank you all for telling me how to defeat that evil reverse beep. I just did it for my friend too and she was so happy. Anyway, on to the question.

I'm a Mac person running Panther, and I'm going to be getting a CD burning program soon since I'm really not fond of itunes. Can anyone out there recomend a program that will work best with the car, so the stereo in my Prius can read album titles and track names? I am thinking of getting Toast with Jam. Anyone have experiene with that one? I want to make sure any proram I get will take full advantage of all the cool features on my car as well. Thanks for any help!

2. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Re: What CD burning programs for the Mac transfer track name

I use Toast Titanium 5 with 10.4.2 (Tiger) and it makes Audio CD's well. The artist and track name display on the Prius screen for up to 20 seconds (when you are not moving), and you cannot display the album name on the Prius. You are on the right track (no pun intended for a change) with Toast and Jam if you see a good price for it.

I had heard that Toast Titanium 6 was a little better for Panther (10.3) than Toast Titanium 5. I did not have a problem and I use CD Spin Doctor (a program provided with Toast) frequently to convert my LP's and tapes to audio CD.

Bonus for those reading this and don't know these programs: Toast came with the audio cable I needed to get from my stereo outputs to a 3.5 mm audio jack such as the iMic can convert into USB input to a Mac. Other Macs have audio input right in the form of a jack and you will not need the USB device. Good luck.

3. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Don't mess around, get Toast. Select the CD-Text checkbox and you'll be all set.

4. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I've been using Dragon Burn. You can use iTunes to organize and export the playlist. Dragon burn can then import, edit the text if desired, and then burn it with CDText.

5. Rattiemama

Rattiemama New Member

Thanks to all who replied, it looks like toast will do what I want afterall, but that Dragon Burn program looks really neat, and I like the price much better.

If you're reading this jfschultz, have you had any issue with it? It looks like it does just about everything I want it to at this point. Did it come with the cable like jimofdg got? I have a bunch of old LP's that I'd just love to burn onto CD.

Does anyone have experience with both programs to suggest which is easier to use and more effient?

6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The only issue I have had with Dragon Burn is that if you import AAC files from an exported iTunes list, it does not fill in the CDText data for you. You can still fill it in manually. So if you go through iTunes to import the tracks to build the playlists to burn, set the iTunes preferences to convert to MP3.

Dragon Burn does not have a cable (which you can get from Radio Shack or Best Buy). The audio input adaptor I have has RCA type connectors on it rather than the mini-plug. (Also Dragon Burn is not an audio input program.)

7. Rattiemama

Rattiemama New Member

Thanks for the info. It sounds like Toast may be what I want afterall. It looks like there are a few things I wanted, that I can't do with Dragon, but thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I was on the right track. I appreciate all the help from the more experienced folks.