1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What color is my car??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by babsrocks, Jul 12, 2007.

1. babsrocks

babsrocks Junior Member

OK, where I work we have to park in the meter lot, and sometimes I am not so good at keeping the meter fed properly. Well one day I was very bad and got 2 tickets in the same day. Now on the tickets one said I had a green car and on the other I had a blue car. It's actually Tideland Pearl. On a seperate days I've gotten tickets for a gray car and a silver car. Do you think I can fight these tickets?? Because how can one car be 4 different colors????

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah I'd fight it babsrocks!

You have to develop a compelling arguement though. Here's one case that a friend of mine in the police showed me (I've blurred out the name of the guy)

[attachmentid=9659]

His case was so well-presented, he was successful as you can see below...

[attachmentid=9660]

So good luck with that. B)

Attached Files:

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Unfortunately, it sounds like it's a private parking lot, and if you don't pay their fines, they tow your car first chance they get (when it's found on their property again). Then you get to pay the fines, the interest, and the towing charges. Nice racket, eh?

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the great post, samiam. Good luck, babsrocks.

6. Katrina

Katrina New Member

hmmmm.
    I wonder if I have an escape clause to get out of tickets...
    For some reason, all the paperwork and registration on my '06 Seaside Pearl prius says "Green." Where they got that is beyond me.
    So if the ticket says blue and the registration says green.... hmm.

7. babsrocks

babsrocks Junior Member

samiam, that is a fantastic story. Perhaps if I present my case in such a manor, i could get out of my parking tickets as well.
    I was able to get out of 1 previous ticket on my first day at my new job, I told the lady I was from Hope Valley (a local rural area) and was unfamiliar with these odd "parking meter" things. We just don't have those in my neck of the woods. But that only works once.
    The lot is run by the city and do threaten to boot or tow your vehicle, but I've never known anyone who has had that happen. I did however have to settle up to register my car. So oh well.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Too bad there is no camo color option, then maybe you wouldn't get a ticket at all.

9. carleric

carleric New Member

Geez, just pay the fine. You already admitted you screwed up. Don't try to weasel out. :)

10. babsrocks

babsrocks Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carleric @ Jul 13 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]478299[/snapback]</div>
    I did pay the fine, all 4 of them. I just think it's funny that my car changes colors. And I have noticed that at different times of the day, it does look different colors.
    So does anyone know what Tideland Pearl is actually supposed to be (what color family it belongs to)? Green? Blue? Grey? I put green down on my reg.

11. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(babsrocks @ Jul 13 2007, 04:34 PM) [snapback]478402[/snapback]</div>
    Not to discourage you or anything, but I got a parking ticket from the City of Los Angeles (I live in San Jose, and was not even in LA on the day in question).

They had the color of the car wrong, and (it later turned out) even the make of the car incorrect! But my first attempt to get the thing dismissed resulted in failure, even though I sent pictures of the car and explained I wasn't in LA on the day in question (in fact, that car, a Camry, has NEVER been in LA or anywhere near!). None of that mattered to the person who did the administrative review (the necessary first step in contesting a ticket). After all, these guys/gals are NOT being paid to find you innocent!

Anyway, I had to go to the next level and file for a "hearing by written declaration" before anyone actually looked at all the discrepancies and concluded it wasn't me! I got the ticket dismissed and my money back.

In general, this is a revenue source for cities, and they've heard it all and are not impressed. So unless you really have a case (as I did) it's probably better to pay up and be more careful next time. Let someone else pay for city services in this manner!

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They could get a whole lot *more* revenue if they went after the
    butthead drivers, but maybe that's insufficiently "anonymous" since
    the enforcement officer would have to deal directly with people.
    _H*

13. Zoozoo3

Zoozoo3 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(babsrocks @ Jul 13 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]478402[/snapback]</div>
    My 2005 Tideland Pearl was listed as green on the internet listing and on the paperwork at the dealer (non-Toyota.) To me it looks gray most of the time and occasionally greenish in certain lights. My son sees gray, green and even blue at various times. Interesting phenomenon... ;) Would be an interesting poll to ask everyone who sees my car what color it is to them! I could code responses male/female, child/adolescent/adult, color-blind/not, am/pm, sunny/overcast/rain/snow, etc. Sounds like a doctoral dissertation idea!

14. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The color was called Sileni Green in the UK, Jade Green Mica Metallic in Japan, and possibly Gun Olive in Australia.

(Source was Tom Stangl's excellent website... http://vfaq.net/docs/PaintCodes.html )

15. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

16. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catgic @ Jul 29 2007, 01:43 AM) [snapback]487018[/snapback]</div>
    My wife works for a lab at UC Berkeley. She's an admin, so she doesn't get a reserved parking space in the garage underneath her building. So on days when she drives in she has to deal with moving her car every 2 hours until 6pm since her only parking option is street parking. It's not uncommon for her to get one or two parking tickets a month at $36 each.

The thing is, though, it's her choice. I think this qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment, but then, my workplace has lots of free parking and I suck at parallel parking. But she's fine with it. :) (The fact she opts to take BART in maybe 4 out of every 5 days helps, too.)

Oh, and as for cars magically morphing, when I had my old car I got a ticket from some Southern California municipality asserting that my car had the same license plate but was otherwise completely different. It wasn't a cheap ticket, too -- something like parking in a handicapped space, so it was something like $390. All I had to do, though, was tick off "This is not my car" and send a copy of my registration.