1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What comes after the oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, Oct 22, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Martin Hutchinson: The Bear's Lair: What comes after oil?

In June's "The effects of $80 oil" I discussed the effects on the U.S. and world economy of a large and sustained rise in the oil price. My extreme scenario of that time has become less extreme, with $42 oil becoming $53 oil in the intervening period. I thought it worth revisiting this now less unlikely scenario, to look at what such a development might do for our sources of energy.

The almost universal opinion currently, expressed for example by Economy.com on a number of occasions this week, is that the current run-up in oil prices is a short term "bubble," and that we are shortly to see its bursting, followed by a reversion in the oil price to its historically "normal" level of $20-25. I am coming increasingly to disagree.

In reality, oil prices are not particularly high. They are still in real terms well below their peak level of 1981, which equates to around $80 per barrel in today's money. While that was a "spike," people forget that oil prices remained high throughout the first half of the 1980s, until a sudden collapse in the fall of 1985, which took them down from about $28 per barrel (say, $48 today) to the low teens -- the equivalent of the $20-25 per barrel still regarded as "normal" by most commentators. Thus oil prices remained above $40 per barrel in today's money, fluctuating as high as $80 and with sustained plateaus above $60, for a full 12 years, from 1973 to 1985. In principle, therefore, the "normal" price of oil may indeed be in the $50-60 per barrel range, or even somewhat higher, far above what we have been used to in the last two decades.

In battery powered automobiles, after many years of slow progress, we have a genuine step forward with the introduction of the Toyota Prius hybrid electric/gasoline automobile, in which the battery powers the automobile at low speeds, the gasoline engine at high speeds, and the kinetic energy from braking is absorbed into recharging the battery. This remarkably clever design, whose gasoline consumption is rated at 55 miles per gallon, at a recommended sale price in the United States of $21,415 costs about $4,000 more to the consumer than a regular automobile of the same class; unsurprisingly, given the rise in oil prices, there is now a waiting list for it. Usefully, the battery doesn't require overnight recharging, unlike previous electric automobiles. For wealthier consumers, the Prius and its future competitors represent a major step forward, which will usefully limit oil consumption in the future. Switching affluent Americans to the Prius, and no doubt to its sports utility vehicle analogs, will not however be enough to solve the world's energy problem.

Read the entire article from Petroleum World by clicking this link.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When will people stop saying this?. . .
    Just last night I was talking to a guy who owns a large SUV. He asked what I paid and I told him around $26,000 for Smart Key, NAV, 6-disc, fly-by-wire, rear wiper, folding seats, air bags all around, and a slew of things normally reserved only for high-end vehicles. He simply didn't believe it. I wish they would stop comparing the Prius to "other cars in the same class". The Prius is in a class of its own or belongs in the next-higher class. IMHO.

Funny, I've never considered myself particularly wealthy. Let's replace "wealthy" with "intelligent" or "insightful" or "conscientious". Ahh, much better.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never cease to be amazed how people continuously "substitute oil for knowledge" without realizing what they are doing.

What comes after oil? Substituting knowledge for oil. As a culture we subsidize oil in so many ways and so many places we do not realize the influence of oil - transportation, flying, surface streets, highways, agriculture; design, construction and operation of homes, businesses and schools, recreation; plastics, landscaping, entertainment (DVDs, CDs, monitors, electronic components) and a host of other uses.

What comes after oil? Read Amory Lovins' (Rocky Mountain Institute) Factor Four and Paul Hawkins' Natural Capital. What comes after oil is doubling and quadrupling efficiency, then doubling and quadrupling efficiency again, making greater use of sustainable things (wind, sun, water, energy conservation) with a long-term perspective.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You're right, skruse. But you mention plastics only in passing. I'm not sure if we can pass through a day without interacting with something made from petroleum products. And yet, when we talk about the end of the oil reserves and the increased prices, we tend to focus exclusively on energy usage and conservation. After the oil we will be digging though the landfills to find the recyclables everyone threw away.

I have learned to creep to red lights and stop signs. This makes the perfect analogy. In my mind, there are two types of people in the world: those who realize that oil is a limited resource but still accelerate to the inevitable screeching halt. Then there are those who see the stop off in the distance and begin to reduce speed in anticipation.