1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What design change would you make for 100 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by John in LB, Mar 24, 2007.

1. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, here is an opportunity to consolidate in one place the great ingenuity of Prius owners. If Toyota or any other major manufacturer was considering building a car with the objective that it had to get 100 MPG on the EPA combined test, what changes would you make to the Prius design to achieve that goal?

Here are some ground rules:

- It has to be a commercial success - Nothing so weird that the public won't buy it. But for the moment, it does not have to be economically limited (let's say it can sell for as much as $100,000 - but not more than that (e.g., it can't be made out of solid titanium)
    - It has to have 4 wheels on the ground.
    - It has to accommodate 4 passengers with a maximum weight carrying capacity of 600 lbs.
    - It has to be certifiable for the USA market from a safety standpoint
    - It has to have air conditioning and several comfort features (can't be a box on wheels).
    - It can use any propulsion system (including Diesel, gasoline engines, electric, etc..) - but it has to be able to go 300 miles without a fill up or a recharge.

Be specific, we all realize we can make the car smaller and lighter. The trick is how would you do it.

Also, your suggestion, in itself, does not have achieve the entire gas mileage improvement. Any piece which contributes towards the goal is helpful.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 24 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]411516[/snapback]</div>
    You can already achieve 100 MPG at speeds between 15-25 mph. What is the target speed(s)?

As for technical changes, here is my short list of Prius mods:
    • exhaust energy capture - ammonia absorbsion AC, exhaust to cabin heat-pipe, turbo alternator
    • pressurized wheel bearing lubrication
    • dry-sump transaxle - all gears and cooling are pump lubricated and cooled
    • all pumps including ICE coolant, electrically, demand operated
    • fully enclosed and baffled ICE and underbody
    • low-drag radiator coolant loop built into hood
    • descending front air-dam and side skirts at speeds above 50 mph
    • replace all rear view mirrors with cameras
    • incorporate antennas in front and rear window glass
    • thermoplastic-fiberglass bodies
    • driver and passenger, fully articulating, electric seats
    • 70+ psi tires on carbon fiber, enclosed wheels, with active, inertial suspension
    • smart cruise control
    • recessed windshield wipers
    • Rain-X dispensor
    Bob Wilson

3. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Bob, I was definitely hoping you would answer. :)

You definitely do not get off that easily however - especially an expert like yourself.

First off, the car has to be a commercial success - so let's say it has to have a top speed of 90 MPH and be able to accelerate at what the public would consider reasonable (can be slightly less than the Prius, but not substantially.)

Now... for the hard work, next to each of your suggestions, give us an idea of what MPG improvement (EPA test basis) a Prius with the suggested improvement would get - take a swag, does not have to be precise.

Finally, at the bottom of your list, tell us what you think the overall NEW vehicle would get for MPG (does it actually achieve over 100 MPG? or just almost gets us there?)

Thank you very much... Looking forward to your reply.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 24 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]411516[/snapback]</div>
    Engine:
    - Add Dual VVT-i (or that new stepless VVT-i system that Toyota's coming out with soon)
    - Add direct injection

Body:
    - Tuck the wipers and washer nozzles behind the hood
    - Integrated rear window antenna (unless the current whip antenna was meant to create negative pressure)
    - Carbon Fibre roof
    Edit: - frameless windshield

Wheels:
    - Even lighter alloys
    - Replace compact spare tyre with mobile tyre repair kit

Lighting:
    - LED DRLs
    - LED taillights

Interior:
    - Magnesium-framed front seats
    - Radiant heating from exhaust pipe
    - aluminium front seat rails

Hmm... I'm sure aluminium and titanium can be used extensively elsewhere but I'm unfamiliar as to the specifics of where they can be used. I know Toyota does use them because our 02 Camry XLE 4 cylinder loaded is 1,500kg yet the new 07 Camry LE 4 cylinder is 1,550kg. It managed to be heavier than our Camry XLE despite having less equipment.

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am not a technician but have been following the news and trying to read between the lines.

I predict that Toyota will produce a car, perhaps the next generation Prius which will achieve 100 mpg and they will do do it by increasing the battery size, maybe to three times what it is now. There will be other refinements, but they will not be earthshaking. The car will have an EV switch and maybe five miles range in EV mode. The battery will have the same warranty which we get now.

It will achieve this by increased electrical assist. It will be as close to a Plug in Hybrid as can be done with the present battery technology and still meet the demands of the marketplace. It will meet all of the criteria which were set forth above.

6. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it would be worth 100mpg in typical driving, but I think that a lean burn engine a la 5MT Honda Insights and Civic Hybrids would make for some pretty substantial gains on the open road. The one caveat is that I would not want it if they could not find a way to eliminate the extra NOx emissions. Direct injection capable of a stratified charge might do the trick, or perhaps a clever exhaust treatment. If an Insight w/ lean burn can do 80mph at 55mph a Prius would probably be worth 65mpg, plus or minus due to the added weight and aero drag.

I think a more efficient battery or perhaps an ultracapacitor for electrical energy storage would be worth a solid mileage boost around town.

I hesitate to suggest the use of advanced composites to lighten the car, though that would work well. Problem is that you can't recycle carbon fiber, so I'm not a huge fan. Aluminum, also a la Insight, might be the right kind of compromise.

7. iaowings

iaowings New Member

What if you use a small diesel that turns a generator to produce electricity to run the car and the electric motors. A diesel can be very efficient under load at a constant rpm. You could even keep the batteries and allow the engine to shut off when not needed. I am not sure that would yield the 100mpg you ask for but it would probably get very close.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 24 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]411543[/snapback]</div>
    I wasn't clear. The 100 MPG was going to be via what speed or driving profile? New EPA? Old EPA? One of the European or Japanese standards? City? Highway? Combined? Understanding the driving profile for the 100 MPG dictates the relative merits of each change.

The other, missing question, is the cost of each change. For me, this is the more interesting problem because it leads to "What can an individual do to retrofit one of these systems to their vehicle?"

Bob Wilson

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Heck, this is easy.

If I have $100k to work with, I'll give you 300 miles of range, astonishing acceleration, and at least 150mpg (of gas equivalent). Would have everything that the Prius has, as we'd just use that glider to start with (well, in reality, the Prius isn't a great glider for this, but we'll pretend for now) And the first prototype could be built in about a month.

I don't suppose what I'm going to say will surprise anybody: Remove the internal combustion engine. Stuff the thing full of Li-Ions (go buy a pack from Tesla to make this part easy) and put an AC Propusion drivetrain in there. Presto. Done. All goals met.

If produced in the quantities of the current Prius, they could sell (educated guess) for about $60k to begin with. And I'll be first in line.

This is not rocket science. This isn't anything that hasn't already been done. As soon as we talk about "improving gas mileage" we're hobbling ourselves to think in terms of having to burn liquid fuel.

OK.... so what did I win?

10. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Mar 25 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]412147[/snapback]</div>

The automotive X prize.... I think its $25 Million.

See http://auto.xprize.org/

B)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Mar 25 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]412130[/snapback]</div>
    Bob, It is the Old EPA test that is the objective. So, that means the Prius gets 55 MPG combined and we need to improve that number to 100 MPG.

The challenge here is not to retrofit a Prius - rather we want to build a new generation vehicle with the Prius as our starting point to achieve the goals.

I realize a cost / benefit analysis will ultimately have to be done to prioritize which ideas should be implemented. However, for this phase of work, we are just looking for the brainstorm list - so, except for the vague limitations I indicated previously, lets' put costs aside for now.

Thanks.

11. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here are a couple of ideas I have:

My focus is to reduce weight and to reduce wind resistance of the vehicle. The objective being that it would allow us to install a smaller and more fuel thrifty drive train while still achieving acceptable performance metrics.

To reduce the wind resistance of the Prius:

- Lower the roof by approximately 3 inches
    - eliminate the side view mirrors and replace with a camera and monitor assembly
    - Install some type of cone in front of the four tires to improve slip across the wheel.
    - I would smooth out the front grill area (fog lights, upper and lower grills would be perfectly flush with specific duct opens for any air cooling.
    - Rework the rear profile (but only slightly) to reduce drag and a slight weight reduction.

I would hope the above measures could improve the Highway mileage figure by 10%, from 50 MPG to 55 MPG.

To reduce the weight of the Prius:

- I would replace a significant portion of the body with aluminum. Based on the study done by Ford on a Taurus, I think we can shave 500 lbs off the car.
    - I would make the car slightly shorter - say 6" shorter in length (more like those little French cars I see running around in Europe). Say that this saves 100 lbs.
    - My cutting the roof down and sculpting the back end as suggested above should also reduce the weight slightly (say 50 lbs less)
    - I would eliminate the spare tire for a 10 lb savings
    - I would eliminate the 12 V battery and use the main battery for all loads. Possibly save 10 lbs.
    - The reduction in the drive train resulting from the smaller car could possibly save another 100 lbs.

Total savings suggested is 770 lbs or about 25% of the weight of the car. I would hope this would reduce the energy source by a corresponding amount. The improved mileage would be 10% of the combined mileage figure, from 55 MPG to 61 MPG.

those are my ideas for today.

12. itsme

itsme New Member

I think you are using old data as far as weight loads. look around the average person no longer weighs 150 pounds better raise it to 200 pounds per. so a load capacity of 800 pounds is more likely plus actual cargo.

as to improvement I would like to see a wind operated generator that would be used while driving with a low resistance motor bearing assembly to recharge the traction batts.

I have an electric vw fox and have experimented with "spinners" hup caps that spin.
    I wound a copper coil around them and a magnet mounted on the rim and wired those small neon under car lights up, and at night I power the lights with my spinners themselves. So I know a wind generator could work if designed better than my style of a coil and magnet can work to create juice to operate those small lights.

13. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(regenme @ Mar 26 2007, 05:20 AM) [snapback]412241[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with you about the 200 lbs... however, like other tests, I did not want to change the parameters of the tests as they are currently done.

What you propose for wind generator is a big NO NO.... That would be a self powering Perpetual Machine. You are always better off smoothing out the wheels, for example, so that you are not moving the wind around in the first place.

14. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What I would like to see is programmable cruise control to have the computer handle pulse and gliding (I didn't search to see if someone suggested this before, if so, not trying to steal anyones ideas):

Have an entry screen on the MFD with simple commands like:
    P 55, 25 (pulse to 55 at 25 mpg)
    G 45 (glide to 45)
    R (repeat)

Then the computer would know when to spin the ice instead of having to be permanently spinning it above 40, so you could no arrow glide at high mpg or just sit back on an open road in P&G CC mode to take full advantage of the car's abilities. Also, there wouldn't be that brief regen moment that is hard to bypass when going from pulse to glide.

15. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Paint the 'sky-facing' body with solar-electric paint and enable car to travel faster on battery only, when charge is sufficient. Is there, perhaps, a way to translate the air flow from normal travel into energy? Guys, remember when you were kids and had those toy cars which got their energy from contacts on the track?

16. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would require that all the passengers of my new car go on a diet and get themselves into a nice healty weight range before riding in it.

The rest of my ideas, and the $25 millon X prize I'll keep for myself. :)

17. adaviel

adaviel Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 24 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]411516[/snapback]</div>
    Downsize the brakes and fit rear motor-generator(s). A friction brake is an admission of failure.
    Use more aluminium or carbon fibre in the suspension, transmission and body.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adaviel @ Mar 26 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]412383[/snapback]</div>
    Have you seen the rear drum brakes? lol. They're already quite small.

19. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Mar 26 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]412360[/snapback]</div>
    About the air flow: See a prior post with a similar idea - but that's a big NO NO - you are suggesting a Perpetual Machine.

You are better off making the car easier to slide through the air and avoid that turbulence

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Mar 26 2007, 08:46 AM) [snapback]412344[/snapback]</div>
    I would add to this idea - A next generation GPS system can be applied that looks ahead at the contour of the road. Would try to take advantage of upcoming up and down hills in deciding whether to use battery power or IC... To be clear: I am not suggesting altering the route for some sort of optimal gas mileage planning - but rather just looking ahead at the planned route for better engine management

20. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A computer controlled driving system. A central computer timed so that nobody ever has to stop or slow down more than would be optimally efficient. Not a new idea, and probably not cost effective to implement... yet!

Look for other energy losses than aerodynamics. Road friction, static charge, tire compression. If there's a way to recover some of that energy without increasing weight/drag that could help.

A lightning rod to collect ambient static charge...

MarinJohn's idea of a perpetual motion machine would be good too. Make that work, and you'll do well for yourself :)