1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did the Dealership do to My Car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey guys. Priapus was due for his 100,000 mile check-up this summer so I took him in. When I got him back, I could tell that he wasn't the same. Here's my story.

I took him in on July 24, 2012 with 101,734 miles. When I drove into the bay, I was averaging 69.x MPG with about 1/4 of a tank left. I hadn't yet breached the 70MPG tank this summer and was hoping to by Autumn. I am familiar with the various threads with advice for what preventative and regular maintenance is needed. The Service Coordinator went through the list and I was comfortable with it.

Here is the invoice, paraphrased:
    • Regular 100k Service:
      • Rotate Tires
      • Replace Engine oil and filter (I stressed that I do my own oil and they honored that)
      • Replace Engine Coolant
      • Reset Oil Replacement Reminder (silly but whatever)
      • Inspect brakes
    • Work Performed
      • Resurfaced Rotors and Replaced Front Brake
      • Brake Fluid Flush
      • Rear Brake Clean and Adjust Shoes
      • Minor Engine Tune-Up
      • Throttle Plate Cleaning
    When I drove him home, I immediately felt that something was wrong so I turned around. The Prius Service Tech got in the car with me and we drove around. He agreed that there was a weird sound. He rotated the tires back and the noise when away. But there was more.

I couldn't really put my finger on it and didn't want to consume too much of his (or my time). It was late in the evening.

In the meantime, I've driven 2,000 more miles and there's still something that's unsettling to me. For one, my previous 69MPG is now in the low 60s and I'm currently fighting to even break 60MPG. You guys know me: 60MPG shouldn't be a challenge for me and Priapus.

I can't come up with a word for it. It's the sensation when you can feel gears turning. Like when you are pushing a toy electric car and you can feel the resistance of the electrical motor. It's like regen is on all the time though not as dramatic as mode. It doesn't matter what stage I'm in: ICE-on, Glide, Stealth. This makes me think that it's tire or suspension related. Or brakes? I have the sensation that there's a constant drag; I can tell that I slow down even on downhill grades. I want to believe that he doesn't go into stealth as easily as he used to but that's purely anecdotal.

I immediately checked my tire pressure but they are at 52/50. My norm.

Look, I'm not mechanically inclined. I don't know how to work on a Prius; I just know how to drive them. And I know as a fact that there's something different about Priapus.

Given what I've said, does anyone have any thoughts?

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did they over tighten the E-brake? Does it coast as well as it normally did? Is the ICE air cleaner OK. How strong is the 12V. H

3. Joshua

Joshua Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    first thing I would check is the rear brakes, you said they were adjusted making me think they are drum brakes, and its very easy to over adjust them and make them have too much drag.

second thought would be that if the front pads were sooo worn down that they needed replacing; that when the calipers were fully retracted there was more clearance between the rotors and pads so you had no friciton between them, and now with the new pads obviously having more friction material there is less maybe even no clearance so there could be a slight drag effect that you would definitely feel at slower speeds.

just my 2 cents...from an ASE master tech :)

usnavystgc likes this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, Harold, it doesn't coast as well. I checked the 12v and it's fine.

Joshua, when I mentioned the drag, the Prius Tech told me flat-out that that brake pads are right up against the rotor. I felt that was a little odd and he assured me that brakes are installed this way. I seriously don't know any better so I just went with it. But if that's true then I should have experienced this before. But this is new and different from anything I've felt before.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would jack it up and make sure all the wheels spin freely. between the fluid flush and rear adjustment, anything is possible i guess.

John Hatchett likes this.
  6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jack it up is a good plan. Probably e-brake. I don't believe the front pads would be a issue. H

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Harold, what are you talking about with the "e-brake"? Are you thinking that they somehow screwed up my regenerative braking?

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe the emergency brake is now hanging up on the rear wheel(s) after their 'adjustment' somehow Tony? Guessing as well...

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ah. That's the "e-brake."
    I used the emergency brake when I changed the oil. Nothing weird.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a past car, improper dealership brake system work did cause my front disc pads to drag excessively. It was also sensitive to ambient temperature, triggering in 90F+ heat.

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is an Aha! moment for me. The other day I experienced reduced MPG, and that sticky feeling of reduced coasting, and it was in hot (90 F), stop and go conditions at low speeds, so more friction braking was being used. Later, on a cool run with almost no friction braking, the MPG was back to normal at 60+, and the coasting was obviously back to normal. So there seems to be something dragging when hot, and the question is how to narrow it down. If it is the front discs, is there a way to release that friction?

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Tony. I agree you should jack it up and check for brake drag, but there's one other thing to consider.

When they did the brakes they probably disconnected the 12V battery, so you would have lost the "historical data" that it uses to help calibrate the MPG calculations. I noticed that the Prius's MPG calculations were off for quite a while after my historical data was reset.

The other obvious things to check are tire pressures, oil level and 12 volt battery readings.

13. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see it mentioned but no response
    The "e" brake, emergency brake is adjustable as it's a cable, it would have to be quite tight to be engaged when fully released, but I don't see that the adjustment to the rear brakes is mentioned, on the inside of the brake drum is a little rubber plug, it's keeping water out of the brake assembly, when it's removed a star brake adjuster is revealed, the mechanic adjusts the rear brake shoe tension with it and it may have been adjusted to tight.

Oil at the top of the dipstick will also lower mileage, something knocking the front end out of alignment would cause mileage to change, if somebody put gear oil(thick) in the front axle instead of the correct oil, things would be "different"

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks guys. Here's what I'm thinking so far:
    • Brakes: I suspected brakes so I'm glad to hear others thinking likewise. With that in mind, I can jack him up and see how well the wheels rotate. What am I looking for? What's an example of expected tire free spin? Of course, if I can't get them to spin at all, I'll know there's a problem.
    • Emergency brake: As I've said, I've used the emergency brake since the service and nothing seemed weird. I'll see about trying to adjust that.
    • 12v battery: Strange you should say that they would disconnect it, uat, because when I got back into my car, there was no loss of programmable data. Also, I've lived through the re-learning process and I know that this is not it.
    • Tire pressure: I inspected those immediately and they are exactly where I set them.
    • Oil: Changed that yesterday. As I said in my OP, they didn't touch the oil. I confirmed this yesterday by recognizing the filter I use.
    • 12v Battery: I've had a diminishing 12v n the past and yes, it causes reduced mpg. But this is more than that.

15. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If temperature is affecting brake friction I would suspect that there is some air in the brake lines and they need to be bled. I don't believe the brake fluid itself is affected much by temperature. Air in the brake lines will not only result in "squishy" brakes, but can keep them from fully retracting after a hard brake, leaving them dragging the vehicle.

The OP just had his brake lines flushed, meaning new fluid and hopefully all the air properly purged. It is still easy enought to get air in the brake lines during a brake line flush but I wouldn't expect it.

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the rear axle is raised up and the parking brake disengaged, the rear tires should freely spin. You should not hear the rear brake drum rubbing against the brake shoes as it rotates.

The front tires will not spin easily but you can try raising up the front, making the Prius READY, then shifting to N. You have to spin MG2 so there is more inertia to overcome.

[email protected] and uart like this.
  17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for mentioning that Patrick. How to test the front wheels is something that I was wondering about.

If you put the car into "N", do you think that you'd still be able to feel the difference between that inertia plus the bit of friction from the transaxle compared with what would presumably be a slightly rougher feel of a dragging brake pad?

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Disc brakes are always in light contact with the rotor. Checking excess drag on the front brakes is a little tricky: even in neutral the transmission is going to impose some drag. It's something new for me: having to start up a car to get it into Neutral, haven't done this on our Prius. One quick way to check for front wheel brake drag: feel the front wheels after an extended drive. They shouldn't be more than slightly warm; if they're feeling warm to hot you have excessive drag.

That said, the rear brake, with the parking brake (aka emergency brake) mechanism, is a more likely culprit. Second gen is drum brake I believe? If you can, raise the whole rear, using the central rear jacking point. Or in a pinch just lift one rear corner at a time with the supplied scissor jack.

Apply and then release the parking brake. Then give the wheel a spin. There may be a bit of whisper at one point in the revolution: there's sometimes a point on the pad that makes slight contact. This might happen on one side of the car, and not the other.
    If you spin the wheel and it really hangs up at one point, or is hard to even spin, that's too much.

uart likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have jacked up my old 04 when the tires were making a funny noise and i didn't know it. check for cv joint problems or bearings, i think it was pretty easy to tell the wheels were spinning freely and the difference between drive train resistance and dragging brake pads.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    While the rear end is raised you can also try applying the parking brake just one "click", and see what that does. Then 2 clicks, and so on. What's nice to see is free spinning at no clicks, and even at 1 click. Then slight drag at 2, more resistance at 3, and eventually solid lock up.