1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did the dealership do to my friend's 2004 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul.Ivancie, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hello. I just posted concerning my rebuild of my 2006 hybrid battery. In the meantime, I am without transportation, so my friend offered me the temporary use of his 2004 Prius. The catch is: his machine was diagnosed by the dealership a month ago as needing a new hybrid battery also. I offered to check it with TechStream, and sure enough, it looks very similar to mine, with one bad battery block. The dealership did reset the error codes so he could take it home, and he had been driving it tenderly since then. The weak module failed shortly after we performed the analysis, so I am only driving it sparingly (with my OBD II scanner plugged in.)
    The catch is: The keyfob works normally for keyless entry, locking the doors with the door handle buttons, and unlocking the hatch with the fob in-pocket, but the lock and unlock buttons on the fob no longer work. Can anyone speculate as to what the technicians did? The fob is factory original, not used, and came with the car. Can I fix it using my TechStream? If so, how? I would like to return the car to him fully working (except, of course, for the hybrid battery,) and if my first venture at hybrid battery repair on my car works, I would volunteer to do the same for him, giving him a fully working vehicle.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The third button on keyfob is stuck. Get that unstuck and it'll all work again.

If you're going to drive a car with a bad battery, you should just drive your own

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If its not a stuck button It may just be a coincidence but most likely the fob battery has died. I would replace the 123 its cheap and easy.

4. Paul.Ivancie

Paul.Ivancie Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Duh! The red button was indeed stuck. I did not think to examine the fob closely. Dumb. I have long since replaced both of my fob cases. It just did not come to mind. My friend is on vacation. He has already decided to unload his Prius. I am going to try to convince him to keep it running by showing him how straightforward it is to maintain the traction battery. We could share a grid charger, for instance, to keep both batteries balanced and in a good SOC range.