1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did they do to my car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tim_in_jax, Apr 16, 2005.

1. tim_in_jax

tim_in_jax New Member

I just got my first oil change last week at around the 4500 mark partly due to the fact I didn't realize that the Prius has two version of the "Maint Req" indicators. After speaking with the dealer he explain that for a short period the indicator will go on for a short period when the car is started but disappear the the car moves or is switched in gear. And when the light stays on is when you need to be concerned. I need to get used to a car that is so polite that it gives you advanced notice about warning lights.

I have just completed my first full tank since the oil change and I have trying to figure out what is going on with my mileage. Before the oil change I was struggling to get 45.7 MPG and 430Miles per tank. Since the oil change I am now getting 50.0 MPG and 520 miles per gallon ( only one tank so far ). I am just trying to figure out what they did to the car to cause this turn around.

I was waiting for the 5000-7000+ mile break in period for a change like this to happen and I just wanted to know if that was break in period coinsided with anyone else first oil change.

Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. My friends, family and co-workers probably are considering I have been finding very creative ways to work in the stats into just about any conversation ( i.e. - "Oh you just had a baby, well in my Prius I could have gotten you to the hospital in the same amount of time and saved money on gas too. My last tank was @ 50.0 MPG over 530 miles.")

with My commute being so highway intensive ( 59 miles out of 67 miles each way is highway ), my theoretical max combined comes out to about 51 miles per gallon. So i am very happy so far. I just need to get by this cold snap though.....

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

My guess would be tire pressures - perhaps the dealer upped them. Or, perhaps the oil was originally 'too much', and when they changed it they put in the right amount. Or it could be the nicer weather. Or, the start of the break in period.

I don't know if you knew your tire pressure previously, but in this car it can make a noticable difference in your mileage depending on what it's set at. Take a minute and check it out, a good deal of us here run 42psi front, 40psi rear.
    And let us know what you find if anything!

-m.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, let me clear a thing or two up.

The maintainence required light is not a "warning" light. It is a reminder that maintainence is required. Since you need an oil change every 5000 miles it comes on at 4500 miles, as yours did, then goes out. Kind of a 'heads up, be thinking about scheduling your oil change soon'. At 5000 miles since the last reset of that maintainence required it comes on and stays on continuously until reset. (btw, sometimes the dealers forget to reset it...if they do just hold down the ODO button before starting the car, once the car is in READY mode you should see the ODO 'reset'.)

Second, your mpg improvement is only ~5% over your previous and likely has absolutely nothing to do with the oil change and more to do with a combination of warmer weather, maybe summer fuel returning, and your improving driving techniques.

4. tim_in_jax

tim_in_jax New Member

One of the reason for me being so estatic about the change in my MPG was that, although I was achieving 47.5 MPG which is good compared to most cars, but I was chasing the 47.5. Every time that I attempted to drive in a more comfortable manner I would notice the dip in MPG. The last time I drove completely comfortable and turned off the MFD I achieved 41.7 MPG. I just noticed that after my oil change there was a difference since I drove very comfortably and a little more like a normal car ( I was running very late for quite a few appointments all week ).

I must apologize there was more sarcasm than seriousness in the title of my post. I am elated that I have had the improvement that I have seen. And I too have attributed it to the break in period being over, summer gas, and warm weather. I just wanted to share with others that I am finally getting close to posted MPG.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I echo Evan's assesment: weather and the ever-increasing Zen Prius-ness of your driving.

("When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, and get 49 MPG minimum, you may leave the temple." :D )