1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what did you do with your

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priussoris, Apr 25, 2007.

1. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Spare key you know the "hide a key" magnetic box you hid under the bumper.
    now that smart key is here.

another story my brother came over to look at our new pri he did not see an ignition sw. I told him it knew my finger print so only I could start and unlock the doors.
    he told his father in law and they went to the dealer and argued that is how it works..lol hahaha

( sorry brother) i WAS JOKING

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 25 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]430076[/snapback]</div>
    I have a spare mechanical key secreted on the exterior of my Prius just like the old days. If your 12v battery dies you have to have some way to get into the car to open the hood and jump start the car. That is why Toyota incorporated a mechanical key in the fob. Also the battery in the smart key can fail over time.

3. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 25 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]430076[/snapback]</div>
    I would be uncomfortable with leaving a key under the bumper. If you or someone else taps your bumper, it may fall out. :unsure:

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clintd555 @ Apr 25 2007, 03:25 PM) [snapback]430139[/snapback]</div>
    Unfortunately magnets do not stick to plastic, most of the wheel wells are lined with plastic. I removed the magnet and screwed the plastic snap closure key holder to the inside of the wheel well. I also keep a spare fob wrapped in foil in the glove compartment for use when and if I lose the fob I can use the spare key to get to it..

5. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With my last couple of cars I had an extra key made and embedded in a credit-card size piece of plastic where you could easily snap the key out. This I kept in my wallet. I should probably get around to doing this with the Prius, but I figure even if I do, what's the use of opening the car if I can't drive it?

6. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 25 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]430198[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm..Forgot about that one....for my last several Toyota cars they mailed out the 'credit card' key after purchase (of course you had to get it cut at the dealer). Never got that with the prius..guess they figured the same thing you did. :)

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Looks like we all caught you being presumptious! ... as many STILL use a (mechanical) hid a key. Once inside, you then have to remember where you hid the FOB ... wrapped in foil ... or in our case, a near mortally wounded FOB, that still works in the slot, but somewhere along the way, it lost its ability to be a smart key anymore. Turned my lemon into lemonaid!

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm confused about wrapping a fob in foil... why not just take the battery out and tape it to the outside of the fob?

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Apr 26 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]430621[/snapback]</div>
    Even better - remove the battery and just leave the battery at home. The battery is not needed for this "emergency spare" fob.

Count me as one who also still hides a mechanical key on the car. I've taken to just drilling the head of the key and inserting rare-earth magnets into the key. Then the whole thing is covered in black shrink-tube. Very easy to hid. Doesn't have big gold letters stating HIDE A KEY. Good lord.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Apr 25 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]430076[/snapback]</div>
    Never thought of this. I'm going to have to get the biometrics upgrade! Thanks. :p