1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What did you pay for your Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by wako, May 31, 2011.

1. wako

wako New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Im a bit surprised this forum didnt have a thread similar to this. Most car forums Ive been to usually did for people to brag about the deals theyve got. Ive found people talking about what they paid and if it was a good deal or not but not a thread dedicated solely what you paid

Since Im only in the market, I dont have a data point for myself (yet) :'(

But it usually goes for like...

Model and Options
    Price
    Price OTD

2. M D

M D No more gas guzzler :D

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  3. wako

wako New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes... exactly like that thread...

*walks away*

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're in the market at a bad time for buying a G3 (or a G2....etc...)
    Six months ago you could have snagged a G3 for MSRP minus a couple thousand. For example....I had a hard quote last fall for a G3-II (with BWP paint and the $25 mats that they charge $200 for) for 19,999-OTD.
    Now?
    People are getting a "good deal" for MSRP minus $500.

The math gets a little funny when you look at the up-optioned models, since car manufacturers make more profit on options than they do for the base car....so a G3-V...or "v"....or "five" or whatever they're calling it this week can probably be bought for MSRP minus a thousand with the manufacturer (and the dealer) making a lot more money on the car.
    However (comma!) there's a shortage of Priuses that was started by gasoline prices tickling $4 a gallon, and exacerbated by the tsunami. Dealers aren't dealing.
    Add to that the fact that the economy hasn't fully recovered from the housing crash resulting in the fact that a lot more people are hanging on to the cars that they have, and thus used Priuses (and other gas sippers) are also in shorter supply, which really should put downward pressure on new Prius prices---but they’re still in short supply.
    I've read (but haven't verified) that MSRP prices for G3's have risen by something like $500 in the last year.

The good news is that gas prices are falling back off ($3.43 here this AM), and the folks in Aichi are trying to boost production levels back to pre-tsunami levels. I have a feeling that Priuses are going to be cheaper in the next year---but that's not much comfort for somebody who is trying to stick one in their garage in the next few months.

Good Luck!
    I guess it really boils down to why and how bad you want one.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the other hand, you may have the honor of paying the highest price to date!

6. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :smash: Pssstt
    It's okay; the search feature isn't very user friendly.

I usually find PC posts better through Google.

7. wako

wako New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah I know... Im currently driving sport(ish) car and it guzzles premium fuel. Couple that with the price of fuel AND the amount I drive (24k miles a year) Im paying on average 450 bucks for gas per month....

Last year I pondered the idea on getting a Prius. For the Prius Gen3 Model III I was quoted at 22500 OTD, now Id be lucky to get a USED 2010 for that price.

Way I see it at the moment is that if I have the Prius now I can gas up ONCE a week rather than 2-3 times a week as I am currently. That can save me nearly 2-3k a year if prices continue where they are now! :eek:

I guess since we are on the subject of me buying a car, how have you guys found your prius on the highway? I do approximately 80% of my driving on the highway... I see that the MPG for highway is 48 but Im sure I can inch it up a bit more right? Also my father owned a Civic hybrid and the poor things battery drained so quickly during the winter because of A/C. Anyone have thoughts or comments on that?

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly, you'll never save money by buying a new car, even a Prius. The only difference will be where your money goes to - the oil companies or Toyota. If you can afford it, then ignore what everyone else says about its a bad time to buy a Prius. Going with the crowd or middle class is not always the best decision. That's why they're the middle class. Example, stock market. Ok ignore what I'm saying. It's too frickin early! My point is..

It's never a bad time to buy a Prius. :) Just do what makes you happy.

9. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is what my Prius gets while driving home from work the other day. I set the cruise at 70 mph...the average mph went down a bit as i was getting into my neighborhood and slowing down to take a picture. So, this is mostly highway miles. If i go around 72 mph, then my mileage is about that of EPA (47.5-48 mpg). 74 mph gets about 46-47 mpg.

NOTE: my Prius is the "sporty" Prius...thus, it gets 2 mpg less than the other Prius with 15" rims.

(29.7 miles...50.2 mpg...average speed of 67 mph)
    [​IMG]

Although some buy stuff for passion, others buy it for more practical reasons. The original poster seems to belong in the latter group. Financially speaking, it is a very bad time to buy a new Prius today...compared to 1 year ago.

Now if the OP has a sporty car and can trade it in with a value that is close to a new Prius, then it may make financial sense, given how much he drives and what he currently spends on gas/month. Now, if he only drives a few miles a day, then yeah, it does not make sense.

10. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's really good mileage. Do you maintain that over the round trip?

11. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For the most part, i get around EPA ratings...see my EDITED post above. That is without me trying anything special.

If i drive conservatively on the highway and keep cruise at 70 mph, i can get the picture above. Conservatively = no lead feet, driving on the right lane, no sudden acceleration (no going into PWR range on HSD display), passing only when needed to keep speed. (Here in TX, people still drives quite fast...so, at 70 mph, i won't be passing many folks!)

Now, for combined city and highway driving, with me driving a little bit conservatively (aka following the general hybrid driving instructions in the video posted a while back) but no hypermiling, i can get this pretty easily:

(sorry for bad Itouch pic: 228.3 miles, 52.7 mpg average, average speed of 47 mph)

[​IMG]

My brother in his IV can easily beat me...he gets about 2 mpg or so better.

12. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Now, going at 85 mph (hospital emergency), i get around 36-37 mpg with fairly aggressive driving! :p Aggressive = slowing down for traffic and then aggressively applying gas pedal to get back to 85 mph (thus, going into PWR range on HSD display).

13. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you are doing alright. High speed & high mileage, best of both worlds.

14. wako

wako New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thai, what would you say your split between highway and city is?

Also anyone want to be my guinea pig and set their cruise at 67 and tell me what their mpg is? Thats what I usually do on my commutes.

15. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    65 mph is around 55 mpg and 70 mph is around 50 mpg, +/- a few mpg. You may see anywhere from 49-53 mpg given optimal conditions (flat roads, mild temps). If you cruise normally and don't employ any special techniques.

16. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The picture with 52.7 mpg is with mix driving...60 highway, 40 city...but this was me going shopping, back home, gun range, and to parents house. Mix driving.

My commute to work is all highway.