1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do I have?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Skarka, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Skarka

Skarka Junior Member

Greetings all,
    I bought my '04 Prius off the lot used. They had it 3 hours before I bought it. So, I'm not really sure what I have. It seems different then the current packages, atleast how I understand them.

I have GPS and fog lights (which, sorry to say, are pretty worthless. I know, that's fog at the Gold Gate Bridge in my profile photo). In the package list I saw for the '05, it seems if I have GPS, I should have just about everything. (The GPS, by the way, always wants to have me drive around the block anytime I leave someplace. Not sure why. Still, a handy feature).

My headlights have 3 positions, "off", "I'm not sure what" and "On". I don't seem to have the auto-lights. When I turn the car off with the lights on (position 3), the car beeps at me. I noticed that there are no daytime running lights, which I though were standard on all cars now.

I have the self-darkening rear view mirror. Does the garage door opener only would with specific brands? I does'nt seem to work for me.

Where do people put their CD cases? I have yet to find a spot that seems designed for the case size. Everything is just a bit too skinny to put them edge down.

Considering the engine is used, atleast slightly, less, how often does the oil need changing? And can the "10-minute" places do it?

I'm also still figuring out the voice activated stuff. Everytime I ask for something, it adds a POI icon! Actually, I'm learning all the icons it has in the process so, what the heck. I read the list of known commands, but still "adding Men's Rooms with Running Toilets" icons. A handy feature if not what I asked for.

And when I turn the car off, I still hear the engine compartment doing things. What's it up to?

2. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skarka\";p=\"104907)</div>
    This was one of my first questions last summer when I joined Priuschat after getting my car last August.

Welcome to PC and I'm sure you'll grow to love this car like we all on Priuschat do.

That sound is an invention by Toyota to improve emissions. Any engine pollutes the most when it is cold. So Toyota has a little pump that pumps the hot water out of the engine when you shut the car off. It pumps that water into a thermos and keeps the water quite hot for up to 5 days. Of course, the next day, it's extremely hot.

So when you stop the car and shut it off, you are hearing that pump. The next day, when you turn the car on, the internal combustion engine rarely comes on right away as the engine is waiting for that hot water to come back. Now the engine will not be FULLY heated by the water from the thermos, but it gives the engine a head start.

3. prius04

prius04 New Member

In 2004, Toyota started out with version 1 thru 9 but by the end of that years production some of those versions were not available. You have what I have which was version 9 when I ordered it in April, but by August when I picked it up, the package went by a letter. I'm not sure what the letter was.

Now I think the 2005 only have 3 or 4 separate packages, though I'm not sure on that.

Edit, Do you have SKS? If you don't then maybe you don't have package 9. SKS is when you have the little black button on the door handle. With the SKS, you don't need to take your key out of your pocket -- ever. Just press the start button with the key in your pocket. Off you go.

4. prius04

prius04 New Member

From what I have seen from others on Priuschat, most seem to change the oil every 5000. Most dealers seem to push us all to 3000 miles, but the concensus seems to be there is no reason for this, for the reason you point out.

There seems to be quite of few Priuschat members that have switched to synthetic oil. And some of those that have switched swear that it improved their MPG.

5. prius04

prius04 New Member

There's a small drawer down low under the front cup holder in the console. It took be 2 months to find it.

The power windows will still work for 45 seconds after you shut the car off, provided you have not yet opened the doors. My wife never remembers to shut her window so when she asks me to restart the car to close the window, I just close if from the driver side without having to turn the car back on.

6. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"104912)</div>
    Yes, it does sound like a 2004 package 9. This is the same as the 2005 package 6. (except for the rear wiper, which changed from an option in 2004 to standard in 2006.) :D As I recall the letter code is "BC" for this combination, and applies to both the 2004 package 9 and 2005 package 6.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi Skarka,

What do you have??? . . . . . . . . . A GREAT CAR!

The only model to come with fog lights and the Navigation System is the “BC.â€
    Package #9 in 2004.
    Package #6 in 2005.

You have a 2004 Package #9 (BC).

The only change I know of between the ‘04 and ‘05 is the addition of two headliner tacks in the ‘05.

You are right about the wimpy fog lights, but they make YOU more visible to other drivers. On the other hand, I have found the Prius HID headlights to be wonderful in fog. The very sharp and low horizontal cutoff line prevents the lights from illuminating the fog above level of the car hood . . . which allows you to see out further.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No. In 2004, there were two packages with GPS and bluetooth. #9 was one of it, the other was... #7?

Headlights:
    Off - explanatory
    dot - side marker lights, rear lights
    ON - everything above and headlights

The car has an auto-off feature. However, if you turn the lights on after you power down, it will not shut off and will beep at you. There are no DRLs for US versions as some come with HIDs (like yours since you have foglights). HIDs cannot be run at reduced power.

Homelink: If the long method doesn't work, try the other one. Look at the back of your motor for a red button. It should say TEST or sth like that. Press that and the desired Homelink button together for a few seconds (can't remember how many)

As for CDs, I place some of mine in the in-dash box under the radio and the rest in the centre console (it can hold quite a lot).

The engine compartment sounds are normal. It's either the coolant being sucked into the thermos (the long sound) or the brake pressure in some valve being released (the other odd sound)

9. Skarka

Skarka Junior Member

I have Smart Key.

10. Skarka

Skarka Junior Member

There's a small drawer down low under the front cup holder in the console. It took be 2 months to find it.

My CD cases don't seem to fit there.

11. Skarka

Skarka Junior Member

You have a 2004 Package #9 (BC).

Thank you. Do you know where the features of this package are listed?

And, while I'm here .. thanks to everyone for the great info. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Oh, just thought of one! Does the passanger airbag know when a child is in the front seat (by weight?) and reduce it's deploy speed? I understand that some cars have this.

(ok, keep in mind my last car was a 96 Saturn SC2.. bought new. I'm just thrilled to have a CD player!)

12. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skarka\";p=\"104952)</div>
    Welcome to Prius Chat...here are your package 9 options:

#9 includes intermittent rear window wiper; driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags, anti-theft system and auto-dimming electrochromic rearview mirror with HomeLink® universal transceiver; Smart Entry & Start system; High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, integrated fog lamps and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers in seven locations and FM diversity reception; and voice-activated DVD navigation system with hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth technology. $5,245.00 (BC Package)

I could be wrong, but I believe you're right about the pass airbag....don't know for sure though....

Dave.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just look at the Toyota web site and know you have a BC model. No major changes between the ‘04 and ‘05 . . . except them headliner buttons. :wink:

http://www.toyota.com/prius/index.html

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, wow. Me too. Black just like my Prius. I got the FM radio with the cassette deck. There was an option to mount a CD changer in the trunk but I never did. Now that I've sold the car to my sister's son, I bought a used changer on eBay to give him for his birthday.

There are quite a few of us that used to own Saturns and now own Prii.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    N/m, the other 2004 GPS Package was #8. He said he had foglights so it's a #9 BC.

16. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skarka\";p=\"104950)</div>
    I'm sorry, I mentioned this drawer because many owners seem to not find it right away. I did not mean to imply that CD/s could go there, though it certainly makes sense that you would think so. My mistake.

I keep my CD's in the center console in an upright position. I bought a bunch of slim cd cases so I can store quite a few. I removed that little drawer that slides in that console as I found it in the way one time too many.

17. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Thermos Question---

Have the cars always had that? Does my '02 have it or was it added later???

18. Porridge

Porridge New Member

Your HomeLink may not work because the industry used an unalolocated frequency. However, Homeland Security Service (HSS) has decided to use this frequency band. If you are near one of their outposts, you are basically hosed.

The Auto makers are scrambling to deal with this. And yes, I have #5 so I am also hosed potentially, although I am not using it at the moment. I live in Seattle, a Naval Port is near by and residents are having to buy new systems for their garages.

Adrian

19. prius04

prius04 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster\";p=\"105068)</div>
    The earlier Prii did not have the "thermos" system. But Toyota did have another system to do a similar thing. But they found it did not work that well.

I believe that earlier system had something to do with the heat from the catalytic converter. I don't know how it worked.

How do I know this? I read about it in Priuschat. But my memory ain't what it used to be. A search might find out how it worked.

Plus, Toyota is giving away a book that is likely to have the answer.
    "The Prius that shook the world" Just pay $6 shipping. Do a priuschat search on the book title for the phone number to order the book.
    (If there are any left)

20. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I though the fog lamps were still an option even on the pkg 9 on '04?

the other sound you hear is the brake system de & re pressurizing. (this happens after the themoas fills)