1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do I need for my "Pre-Flight" checklist?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hv74656, Oct 6, 2006.

1. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am picking up my '04 Prius on Wednesday and am not totally sure of what I should look at on the car when I do the walk around. I already downloaded and printed the '04 Pre-Delivery TSB and know to look for the melted tail light fins. I know there is a dash warping/glove box problem on some but I don't know what to look for because all the images in those threads were lost in the recent downtime. Also, is there a way to tell if I might have one of the failing MFDs, because I really don't feel like spending $500 to get that fixed. If you know of any other problems that I should look for, then please post.
    No matter what, I'm getting the car (unless there is a MAJOR mechanical problem), but if there is something that isn't right I need to know so I can knock down the price of the car and use that money to fix it back here in FL.
    Thanks Everyone.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Another pilot! Seems to be a lot of pilots here.... I wonder how many? (Not me though, I got as far as my cross-country, then 9/11 happened, then I kinda just sunk out of it. B/F has a plane though! :D )

3. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Oct 6 2006, 09:51 PM) [snapback]329271[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Oh, I'm way too young to be a pilot. "Pre-Flight" just seemed to be an appropriate term to use. However, I would never rule out being a pilot, especially when I think about the amount of time I have spent using Flight Simulator (Really need to get the new version, I have '98).

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Oct 6 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]329281[/snapback]</div>
    You can't be too young! You can be a pilot younger than you can drive a car! :) Flight Simulator is a GREAT training tool btw - you can cut hours off your formal training!

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi hv74656

Is the '04 you're buying still in the 3/36,000 bumper-bumper warranty? All the Prius warranties are valid for a 2nd owner so your drive-train and hybrid system are still covered under their warranties.

As for the glove box question: If the upper glove box automatically opens wide when you press its release button, you don't likely have the warped dash problem. Take a look at the dash just above the right glove box hinge. If the coil spring anchor has broken, that section will be forced up, probably from 1/8" to as much as 3/8" - it's pretty obvious - looks like something pushed up from below that point. That would only be covered under the 3/36,000 warranty. Repair consists of replacing the upper glove box assembly.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check for the TSB on the bladder in the fuel tank. (I think it's the bladder and not something else related).

check vfaq.net for a pre-delivery pdf. It's for new cars but I'm sure you can apply some of that to the used vehicle.

check john1701a.com and download the User Guide (version 6 now).

7. n51222

n51222 Junior Member

>Oh, I'm way too young to be a pilot.<

You're under 17? That's the minimum age for getting an FAA pilot certificate. (It's 16 for soloing, 17 for a private pilot certificate, 18 for commercial.)

Go for it!

8. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hv74656 @ Oct 6 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]329281[/snapback]</div>
    It could be worse. I'm too old to be a pilot, for the airlines, at least.

They threw me out!