1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

what do I need to bring a new car into TX?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by betshsu, Sep 15, 2004.

1. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hm, I don't know how effective posting in the TX group will be since there seem to be no members (took me a bit to figure out what was going on with the local groups), but I'll give it a try.

Does anyone know/recall what I need to present when I register a new Prius bought out of state with the TX DMV? I know I'll pay Texas taxes when I register... I've just heard nightmare stories about some state's DMVs requiring very specific paperwork that the original state didn't require, so the owner didn't have it. I suppose I should just call the DMV...

Thanks.

2. JB

JB Junior Member

Calling DMV is a good idea. That's what I did to make sure I got all the right paperwork. You need to make sure you get your car inspected in TX (some counties require that). You also need the Manufacturer State of Origin form. You also need proof of insurance, of course. I'll check my paperwork when i get home to make sure, but those are the basic things you need. Good luck.

3. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the info JB!

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've bought out of state vehicles, and brought them into TX. Of course, you will need the certificate of origin. You will need to get the vehicle's safety inspection/emissions sticker, and while you are there, you will need to request a "green sheet." All the inspector does, is put the VIN number on it, and charges you for doing so. I've forgotten what the dollar amout was, but it wasn't much. You will need to make sure that you have sufficient funds in the ol' checkin' account to cover the very fat check you are going to write at the auto registration office. :wink:

Of course, proof of insurance will be required. TX is actually quite painless on vehicle importation to the state. I'll be going through the process again, when I finally get around to registering the 300D.

5. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the info Wolfman. It's good to know that it shouldn't be too difficult to do (except for that brutal sales tax).

Here's a stupid question regarding inspection. Is the inspection you refer to from the dealer I bought the car from (in TN) or from an inspection place in TX? Or perhaps the question is, do I need to pay to get the car re-inspected in TX even though it's a new car? Some states have an exemption on inspections for the first year of a new car (I guess actually the car comes with the inspection). I know the Prius has the "emission package for 50 states" but I don't know how that works when the car is pruchased in one state and registered in another. Or is the "green sheet" what I get from the dealer, take to an inspector in TX, and pay for my inspection sticker in TX?