1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do I need to know?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by SergioM, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SergioM

SergioM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, I just got my first Prius! It's a 2007 and handles very nicely. What do I need to know?

Since it's a used car, I was told that I should put Chevron Tecron to clean out the fuel tank. I'm getting 35 MPG, but I'm told that it'll get better after a tank or two when that stuff is gone. The car is in great condition and outside of changing dim lightbulbs and a couple of filters, I think I'm set.

Are there any beginner pitfalls I can avoid?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome. Sergio, 2006 or 2007? Your post doesn't match your data. Anyway, congratulations. Skip the fuel additive unless you suspect there is a real problem. I don't know where you live, how you drive or your routes so I can't comment on the fuel economy. As the weather warms it will improve.

Keep track of your fuel economy manually. There is a bladder in the gas tank that affects capacity so "full" at 10 degrees won't be the same as "full" at 70 degrees. Don't get too excited about "great" tanks and don't get bummed over "bad" tanks. If they follow each other your fueling error is evening out.

The tires may not be low rolling resistance and are probably underinflated. I'm not getting into that discussion. Search for & read "Driving Under Pressure" then ride on whatever pressure makes you happy.

Which lights are "dim"? If they are the backlit buttons, you're stuck with them.

If the 12v battery is original it is past due for a replacement. If it isn't original it may be due. The MFD (Multi Function Display) has a maintenance mode than can be used to check the voltage.

Just get used to the car. It is going to make some unusual noises that are just normal and the engine shutting down at a stop can be a bit unnerving at first.

Lack of instrumentation can be a problem. If you want to see what's going on you may want to invest in a ScanGauge II. It will pay for itself the 2nd or 3rd time you have to reset a diagnostic trouble code (DTC).

John1701a wrote the book and Galaxee posted a list of services you need & don't need. Just cruise around the site & read whatever looks interesting. There are a lot of great people here that are willing to help so if you can't find the answer to your question, just ask.

3. SergioM

SergioM New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Jim, thanks for the response! Too much info, so I'll break it into parts.

Woops, it's an '07. I just fixed it in my profile.

From South Brooklyn to Rahway NJ, so it's about 40 minutes per day.

The tires were underinflated but I immediately filled them up to spec. Front/back tires don't match in terms of wear so I doubt that the previous owner was so cautious to buy low rolling resistance tires.

The overhead lights in the cabin & the lights in the trunk could be brighter.

Cool. Will check that next!

So far so good. I love how smooth it is in bumper-to-bumper traffic & how quiet when I'm at a full stop.

Can you elaborate on why I'd need to reset a diagnostic trouble code?

Great! This is exactly the kind of thing I need. I'll find them next.

Thanks again for all of the input. I'm excited to get started.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat and congrats! i think jim has it covered, all the best!(y)

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you need to know?
    Well the "secret" hybrid handshake.

It involves palming a AAA battery. (Wink Wink).

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It sounds like your commute is against the traffic (or at least some of it). When I get stuck in crawling traffic I really start thinking about power management. You aren't going fast enough to keep the traction battery charged up. Don't freak out when the last couple bars change color. The engine will spin up just long enough to charge the battery over the minimum threshold. On and off. On and off. On and off. It doesn't take long to get annoying but it is normal. When the lane clears out the car is going to feel slow and sluggish. Don't push it. In a minute or so it'll be back to normal.

Put your foot hard on the brake when stopped. A light foot on the brake will keep the car stopped but it won't stop current draw. You can see this on the screen. You aren't moving but there is an energy flow.

On my Metro NY travels (1&9, Pulaski Skyway, Tonnelle Ave, 3...) I'd expect 48-49mpg or a bit better.

The interior lighting is pretty dim.

The ScanGauge can be used to remedy the lack of instruments. There is a lot of info available from the OBD port (look below the steering column). I'd like to know I'm overheating BEFORE I'm an obstacle to traffic so I have the inverter coolant temp and engine cooler temp displayed. It can also read the voltage of the 12v battery & it's easier than getting into maintenance mode.

It will also read and clear DTC. Does a friend or significant other have the Check Engine light on? The unit can read & clear the code. You won't get a car through inspection if there is a stored code.

If you have to run the defrosters, run the defrosters. 50mpg doesn't do you any good if you can't see. Keep the climate control off until coolant temp is 150F. At a stop if the engine is running & the climate control is on, turn it off. If the engine stops then wait for it to warm up before turning the climate control back on.

Go out to Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More to register the VIN. You'll get the dealer service history & recall notices. Some of the recalls are pure crap, others could be advantageous. You'll also be able to download the owner's manual.

You can change the air filters yourself very easily. Don't pay someone else to do it.

Since it's snowing again I just remembered to mention that you should block your grill. It's cheap so it' a great return on investment. There is a huge thread here that is the definitive work--lots of photos, too.

Enjoy.

7. Johnprius

Johnprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Great info!