1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do the letters NHW stand for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jerry W, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

Hi All

Please, can anyone tell me what the letters NHW stand for, as in NHW11, NHW20 etc?

I swear I read the answer to this somewhere, but I cannot remember where and I cannot find it now. A search here found nothing

Thanks

JerryW

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Those are the internal Toyota model designations:

Toyota Prius NWH10 (1997–2001)
    Toyota Prius NWH11 (2000–2003)
    Toyota Prius NWH20 (2004– )

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it stands for "Not a Wasteful Hummer".

4. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Feb 11 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]388593[/snapback]</div>
    Which is reason to refer to the current generation as the second-generation...as in Prius 2.0.

The first generation had two sub-generations. Prius 1.0, which was not released in the US, and Prius 1.1, the original US release.

5. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Feb 11 2007, 11:08 PM) [snapback]388593[/snapback]</div>
    Um, maybe I did not make myself clear. I know perfectly well what they are. But, what do the letters actually stand for?

J

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerry W @ Feb 12 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]388797[/snapback]</div>
    Um, no . . . you didn't make yourself clear, and apparently you don't know "perfectly well" what they are.

You asked what the letters “NHW†stand for.

I think that combination may stand for Neutered Hybrid Wuss.

But, if you want to know what “NWH†stand for . . . I do not know. :lol: ;)

7. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 12 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]388804[/snapback]</div>
    None of that makes any sense to me. NHW is quite correct. Or do you have the only NWH20 Prius in the world?

8. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota model codes are made up of four or five charactors. The first two or three(depending on how many charactors are inyour code) are letters followed by two numbers. These codes look like this JZA70 or MA70.

The first one or two letters describe the engine, the next letters describe the chassis of the car. The numbers represent new models and revisions. The first number or numbers represent a differnt generation of the car, while the last number represents a revision of a model generation.

http://www.enginereplacement.com/htdocs/to..._mode_codes.htm

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerry W @ Feb 12 2007, 04:05 AM) [snapback]388797[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 12 2007, 05:26 AM) [snapback]388804[/snapback]</div>
    Jerry, you made yourself clear to me. I interpreted your post from the beginning as asking what the letters mean, not what the models are. I too have wondered the same (and I too know what the models are). After you made your original -- and clear -- inquiry, I hoped someone could answer. Marlin, thanks for doing so.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 12 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]388937[/snapback]</div>
    Guess I am guilty of suffering from the onset of dyslexia.

:lol:

My mistake was in not proof reading what I copied and pasted from the result of the Google search: AutoWiki.fi.

Sorry.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerry W @ Feb 12 2007, 04:09 AM) [snapback]388811[/snapback]</div>
    Or maybe I am the N.H.W. :(

I stand corrected. :)

I saw “NHW†posted by a relative newbie and “NWH†posted by someone who has been around these parts for a long time.

Just goes to show what happens when someone jumps on a bandwagon without checking the facts first.

I guess I should have also taken into consideration the source of the “NWH†post. :p

Glad to see Marlin posted something useful . . . I spent an hour or so looking for the specifics of N, H and W. I too found the site Marlin posted, but unfortunately it doesn't get into “N is ____ and H is _____.â€

13. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerry W @ Feb 12 2007, 04:09 AM) [snapback]388811[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. Mine VIN has a numeric value at the series number that indicates it has NHW20. I think the series 2 is in reference to the transmission type. Others here will know for certain. Galaxy for one.

Dave M.

14. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Feb 12 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]388966[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you for the only helpful response so far. Though I don't really understand why N or NH would describe the engine when it has a perfectly good code of its own, 1NZ-FXE. The number explanation is logical given the differences between the NHW10 and 11, and the NHW20.

Maybe one of the Toyota executives hanging around here could give a definitive explanation? B)

Jerryw
    (who is not really a "relative novice" since he has been a member here longer than anyone else in this thread so far.)

15. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm willing to bet one of these:

1) The "H" stands for "Hybrid"
    2) It's Japanese

Or most likely

It stands for the same thing "QD" stands for in N-Gage QD.

16. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jerry W @ Feb 12 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]389125[/snapback]</div>
    Most definitely NOT a novice! Anyone from the Yahoo groups would know that (and I think you were already there when I joind in late 2003), but I guess PriusChat is just one of those newbie upstart kinda sites... :lol: (oh, and your seniority on this thread has now been supplanted...)

BTW I have been guilty of perpetuating the NWH error myself--but I think that's because Tom has it wrong on the home page of the 2G group!!!!

I'd write more, but I have a bacchanal to attend (well, we're doing Samson et Dalila, so it kind of comes with the territory--and at least I have a nice tall tenor to canoodle with!!)