1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you consider the top 5 most right-wing publications?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Jan 16, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I'm thinking of revising my daily reading which at the moment includes The National Review Online, The American Spectator, The Washington Times, The weekly standard, and The New York Sun. I'm looking for pubs I can read online, and excluding blogs. I'm thinking legitimate columnists like William Kristol, not Faux News people like Hannity. Any suggestions on specific online publications? BTW I find this kind of reading much more interesting than, say, Ariannan Huffington (who I also read daily, but as for me, she is preaching to the choir). I read the RW stuff to attempt to learn another viewpoint, and can't suggest highly enough other lefties do the same.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What do you mean by "top"; most popular, best writers, most right-wing...?
    Tom

3. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 16 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]376479[/snapback]</div>

You lost me there. I personally avoid columnists and pundits and prefer to get as close to primary literature or news as possible. I enjoy Charlie Rose and Meet the Press and try to keep the (uninformed) opinion to a minimum.

4. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jan 16 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]376481[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Tom, best= most intelligent, thoughtful writers, political persuasions aside. In my mind most right wing=flame-baters and not worth my time. I suppose, Ideally, all of the above since there's something to be said for most popular as one can then keep up with what motivates the thinking behind those kind of readers.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Debra Saunders of the SFO Chronicle is a columnist who often baffles me because she's obviously intelligent and articulate, yet will sometimes stick solidly in the right lane even when it requires (to my mind) intellectual dishonesty to stay there against all evidence. To her credit she does appear to regard intellectual honesty as more important than raw ideological loyalty and will criticize follies of the right just as vehemently as the left does - but not always! She is a constant reminder that the human mind is a complicated instrument indeed and, I think, well worth reading.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 16 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]376497[/snapback]</div>
    But if someone was intelligent and thoughtful, they wouldn't BE a right-wing columnist!

9. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would have thought The New Republic might appear in this thread. That and the National Review that I used to read on occasion.

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Thanks for your replies. This was an honest OP, but the responders are, on the whole, not what I would consider 'experienced' neocons.

This shows me that perhaps NEOCONS DON'T READ! or certainly one or more of our resident 'conservatives' would have responded. Most unexpected and interesting outcome. I can also extrapolate that not only don't conservatives NOT READ their own columnists, but therefore they certainly don't read left-wing articles, which in my mind is even worse. How can you draw balanced conclusions if you 1) don't read and 2) don't read opposing viewpoints? Watching faux news is entertainment, not educational, and doesn't expand your mind. Things are even worse than I thought!

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Oh, come on John... it isn't THAT bad. You got a great comment from Squid at least. Though as usual, I'm not sure what it means.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 17 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]376996[/snapback]</div>
    possibly a testament to his PC name. Yes, the mysterious squidster :) Usually on my ignore list but I actually read his posts from time to time when I want to feel superior.

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 16 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]376528[/snapback]</div>
    Topics over so may I highjack the thread?
    IsrAmeriPriu ,
    Im interested in the neocon's support of Israel's security. Which I suppose could be the true reason for the invasion of Iraq.Am I totally wrong on this?

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jan 17 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]376996[/snapback]</div>
    possibly a testament to his PC name. Yes, the mysterious squidster :) Usually on my ignore list but I actually read his posts from time to time when I want to feel superior.

16. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 16 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]376528[/snapback]</div>
    Topics over so may I hijack the thread?
    IsrAmeriPriu ,
    Im interested in the neocon's support of Israel's security. Which I suppose could be the true reason for the invasion of Iraq.Am I totally wrong on this?

17. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    When I occasionally read The Economist, it's quite fascinating. Probably not as right-wing as you were thinking, but quite enough for me, thanks...

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 16 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]376479[/snapback]</div>
    Try perusing through: Americanthinker.com

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 18 2007, 06:14 AM) [snapback]377131[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again for all the suggestions, especially yours berman, and I mean this with humbleness. After first increasing my daily reading I will eventually reduce it to the five or so which I find most thoughtful and insightful, and that doesn't mean those with whom I agree politically.

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 18 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]377239[/snapback]</div>
    Why don't you put out your five top conservative and five top liberal publications list then?