1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you look at? Part II

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stev0, Mar 31, 2007.

?
  1. The Consumption screen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Energy screen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Map

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Flip back and forth between Consumption and Energy

100.0%
  5. Flip back and forth between Map and Info

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I keep the screen off

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well?

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 31 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]415574[/snapback]</div>
    Hugh! Consumption & Flippers 50 50. But it's still early in the pole.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Mar 31 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]415574[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I try to look mostly at the road ahead.

JeffD

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Like Jeff, I look mostly at the road. Assuming you really meant "What do you look at on the MFD," I answered the Energy screen, using its information to help me maximize fuel economy.

5. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, that's an oops! If some admin could fix it so the question reads "What do you look at on the MFD" and or/"What do you look at when you're not looking at the road?" I'd appreciate it.

6. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I voted "consumption" by default but I pay less and less attention to it all the time. If I am driving long distances, especially at night, I have found that turning the MFD off to be very liberating. If I had NAV I would probably leave it there all the time.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I look out the windshield at the road.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CAN-View with a once or twice per trip glance at the consumption screen...usually at the end of the trip.

This thread also forces me to resurrect an old thread I think you guys will find interesting!
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=13686
    The Four Stages of Prius Enlightenment
    (author’s note: This is a rewrite of the original published over a year ago that was lost during the PriusChat server crash. There may be some differences. If anyone has a copy of the original I’d love to have it to publish it as well.)

Stage I: Awe and Fascination
    The Multi-display screen (MFD) is left on the Energy screen the majority of the time as the driver and passengers watch with fascination as the colorful arrows shift and switch from Engine (ICE) to wheels and ICE to battery and wheels to battery. This is a time of trying to comprehend the general idea of how the car is working at different times. Some attention is paid to overall MPG by switching to the Consumption screen from time to time, but for the most part the 5-minute graph is hard to put into perspective. This phase lasts from weeks to a few months.

Stage II: Growth and Progress
    The driver now tends to focus on the Consumption screen in an effort to improve each of the individual 5 minute bars on the graph as part of an effort to improve overall MPG. Fine adjustments are made in driving technique such as rate of acceleration, top speed, using cruise control and adjusting to traffic and lights. Occasionally switching over to the Energy screen may occur as he/she tries to understand what might be going on in a particular situation or to show that screen to a new rider, but the focus here is clearly on the Consumption screen and efforts to improve mileage. This phase lasts months to about a year.

Stage III: Fine Tuning
    Once consistency is obtained with the Consumption screen phase and the driver’s MPG has seemed to stabilize for familiar routes there is a tendency to want to begin to ‘push the envelope’ to really maximize the fuel economy. To this end he/she needs to switch to the Energy screen once again. This time, however, it is used not to understand, but rather to fine tune and control the system to attain maximum efficiency. Techniques such as Pulse and Glide will require the Energy screen to assure they are in a ‘no arrows’ glide. Acceleration in the ‘dead-band’ (arrows from ICE to wheels only—none to or from the HV battery) for maximal efficiency likewise necessitate the Energy screen. Those not as dedicated or concerned about the fuel economy may find that they begin to use alternate screens such as the Audio screen or the MAP screen checking the Consumption screen occasionally and Energy screen rarely. Most drivers who are dedicated to constantly obtaining maximum possible fuel efficiency will remain on the Energy screen for years or even for the remainder of the time they own the car, switching to the Consumption screen only to check the tank MPG average and total miles on the tank then immediately returning to the Energy screen.

Stage IV: Prius Nirvana
    Most people will never attain Prius Nirvana. This is the stage where the driver has almost become one with the vehicle. He/she is so aware of the car’s operation that he/she can tell when he/she’s in the dead-band or gliding without looking at the Energy screen. Indeed he/she will enter those conditions often without conscious effort as they’ve become second nature. Maximal MPG is still achieved but almost without effort. This is not the same as the person in Stage III who no longer cares about MPG, this person cares greatly, but no longer has to put significant effort in to their driving to achieve it. He or she will use various screens on the MFD as needed, or may even turn it off completely. There is no longer a need to look at the Energy screen at all and they look at the Consumption screen only to note overall MPG and total tank miles. This stage is lifetime.

9. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The "Four Stages" is a fun description of a Prius owner's learning curve. Is there an appropriate place to insert a Stage I. b. or II. b.?

Right now with the inconsistent weather I've been spending a lot of time flipping between climate control and the consumption screen. I've been driving the car for 3 months now. Yes, I know, the PriusChat advice is to set the climate on auto and let it do it's job, but my passengers insist on playing with it. Also, I never dreamed the gray interior would come with a black dashboard. What a heat magnet! I should've held out for the bisque/beige interior.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geeky teacher @ Mar 31 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]415736[/snapback]</div>
    Go to the linked thread and add any suggested amendments there in a followup post.
    To me they really need a Stage IIIb for the ScanGuage and CAN-View users who really and truely fine-tune...perhaps this should even be stage IV and the current IV made into stage V since it's truely distinctive incorporating careful observation of ICE RPM, battery amperage and SOC, and a multitude of other parameters to squeeze every possible fraction of an MPG out of the car.

11. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geeky teacher @ Mar 31 2007, 08:26 PM) [snapback]415736[/snapback]</div>
    Climate control? I just turn on the A/C (which runs the heater, the defrost, as well as the cooler-downer) and let it do its thing.

12. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There needs to be an option "last used screen" since if i'm messing with the climate, that's the one that stays on until I want to mess with the audio, then that stays on until I get curious as to what my MPG history has been, then that stays on, until I realize i'm lost and need the Nav, .... you get the idea. i would have selected "Last Screen used"

13. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "Climate control? I just turn on the A/C (which runs the heater, the defrost, as well as the cooler-downer) and let it do its thing." -StevO

Cimate control is the button I push to bring up the screen with all the climate options. Auto A/C is the button I push on the screen or steering wheel to let the car do its thing.

14. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geeky teacher @ Apr 1 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]416290[/snapback]</div>
    Yea, not a big fan of "Auto A/C" I don't want or need the Air Compressor running all the time. I just want to change fan speeds, and I really don't like how the Auto AC automatically puts the compressor on and how it puts the fan on high when the inside/outside temp varies by more than 4 or 5 degrees. So I use the "Climate Control" button on the side of the MDF and operate the functions manually.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I plug in my video iPod and watch downloaded episodes of "South Park" while I'm driving. There wasn't an option for that in the poll...

16. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ Apr 2 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]416447[/snapback]</div>
    "Auto A/C" does not operate the air compressor except when cooler than ambient air is required to maintain or reach the cabin temperature you have set. This has been discussed many times on this forum.

17. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ Apr 2 2007, 01:11 PM) [snapback]416477[/snapback]</div>

That's fine. i'm just explaining what I do. when i see the yellow A/C light on my climate screen and my windows are down, or I just want ambient outside air coming in, i feel uncomfortable. so i turn it off. no big deal, i'm not trying to make a big discussion out of this. B)

I only suggested a "last screen" choice. ;)

18. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jgills240 @ Apr 2 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]416489[/snapback]</div>
    Also, how long do you wait? On those times I DO hit the climate control screen, when I'm done I just wait about five or ten seconds and it automatically switches back to the info screen or the map (whichever was on before I hit climate control). Same for the Audio screen.

19. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Apr 2 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]416498[/snapback]</div>
    yea, the auto-screen return kept bugging me so I turned it off. In the MFD settings somewhere relatively easy to find.

20. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "What do you look at most while driving?"

The road ahead of me... but that wasn't really a choice...