1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you pay yearly to tag and license your car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmaybe, Oct 29, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Georgia, 2007 Prius - Dekalb County - $391.00 of which 80.00 is the 2008 sticker on the license plate and the remainder is the Ad Valorem Fee.

This is from now until October 2008.

Georgia Ad Valorem is a rip off.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apart from a rip-off what is "Georgia Ad Valorem"?

I pay about $600 per year for registration and third party injury insurance which is compulsory, plus I pay about $550 for comprehensive accident insurance which covers everything but injuries and the first $250 of repair costs. This isn't compulsory.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    2005 Prius - $159

Thank you Governator for standing up to the Democrats who just want to suck as much money out of us as they can.

First the 300% increase in vehicle license fees which was the major reason for the recall of Governor Gray Davis . . .
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...21/MN250030.DTL
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-1...or-arnold_x.htm

Then just recently another brainiac Democrat idea . . .
    Car Tax Increase for Funding Vehicle Theft Program. AB 878 (Davis),
    which would have allowed local government to increase car taxes from $1 to $2
    without a vote of the people . . .

http://www.caltax.org/caltaxletter/2007/10...etoes_bills.htm

What next, a 99 cent increase to fund a program for rescuing animals injured by automobiles? :rolleyes:

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They levy an Ad Valorem tax on a car, a personal property tax, if you will.

It is based on the value of the car, and is a yearly tax, which does not depreciate at the same rate as the actual car. You also pay 7% sales tax on the cost of the car, when purchasing it.

Insurance is separate - I pay $1100 per year and have a flawless driving record. You better carry uninsured motorist here, a good many accidents are caused by illegals and other uninsured drivers.

You also better protect yourself because this is a Lawsuit Happy state when it comes to Auto Accidnets.

6. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Delaware is $40 per year for any sedan. It just went up to that from the previous $20 per year that it had been for decades. When I got the Prius, I paid $100 up front for a tag good for 5 years. This is available for all new cars (now it would be $400). That means no trips to the DMV for car registration and no inspections for the 5 years.

- Tom

7. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Oct 29 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]532145[/snapback]</div>
    I thought the same thing when we lived in Georgia. The other thing that scared me in Georgia, was the lack of state inpections. Many, many, many times I would be driving along side a car that had no tread on it's tires, no brakes, and looked like it was about to die right on the road. It just looked unsafe to me.

I don't know exactly what I'm paying in Texas but I think it's in the $60 range.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks priusmaybe.
    There are no regular vehicle inspections here for cars but if they look very bad the police put them off the road.

9. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

In TN, Blount County, it's $24 a year for registration.

I have a specialty place that benefits an animal charity, so mine is $59.

I specifically avoided moving to states like NC, GA where there is that annual property tax on vehicles... I have too many vehicles to be paying that crap!

-Vikki

10. akramer84

akramer84 New Member

I just registered my car in Texas, although I live in Los Angeles. I paid around $150-$200.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    na na na na, Its only $25.00 a year here...... :p B)

A no vehicle inspections, they did away with that back in the 70's here :mellow:

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in years past, WA state charged a "fair value tax" along with tab fees which was tax on estimated resale value of car making average tabs 200-600 per year. that was removed years ago. so my tags were $75 with $35-40 (dont remember, dont care cause aint giving up my plates!!) premium for my personalized plates.

13. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $55/year for tags in wi. no property tax except the 5% sales tax when you first register the car.

IMO state inspections are a source of state revenue and little more, they're compulsory in nc (as is insurance) and yet we see so many dead cars on the road, cars with bald tires, etc.

we have good insurance to protect ourselves against everyone else out there... we've gotten seriously screwed over a couple of times in the recent past.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In New York State, the Annual Automobile Registration Fee is $72.50. Cheap. But we have a lot of other taxes that most or a lot of other states do not have, including State (and some Local) Income Tax, Real Property Transfer Tax, and Mortgage Recording Tax. And as a general matter, New York State residents pay a lot of State & Local Taxes --- New York is ranked #3.

Your Georgia automobile ad valorem tax is high. But as a general matter, Georgia residents do not pay that much in State & Local Taxes --- Georgia is ranked #32.

I don't mind paying taxes, and wouldn't mind paying more taxes. But I would prefer that all taxes be extremely progressive in nature.

And corporations should be taxed much more heavily than they are now. I don't have the exact numbers handy, but I think that corporations' share (as opposed to individuals' share) of the tax burden has dropped over 50% over the years.

EDIT: In addition, in New York State, you have to pass inspection annually. The inspection and passed inspection sticker costs $37. I don't know how much of this goes to the mechanic/inspector and how much goes to the State. I think all or almost all of it goes to the mechanic/inspector.

15. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We also have inspections $25.00. If the car is a heep of junk with the wheels falling off, it gets off Scott Free and gets a "Classic" tag for $20.00 and can pollute all it wants. This is crazy because Atlanta has a severe pollution problem. No breaks for Hybrids here.

We pay 7- 8% sales tax and substantial County, City Property Taxes. Most of our taxes goes to Education (which is among the worst in the US). We also have a state income tax. If you live anywhere remotely close to civilization your taxes are HIGH, if you live in the Boonies, your taxes are low. All the folks that live in the Boonies are the ones that commute but pay low car tags and property taxes.

There has been many a request for more toll roads so that the folks using the roads and commuting into Atlanta will have to pay their share.

We are nickeled and dimed here to death. It is really not worth it.

We may not pay New York or LA taxes yet, but it is coming soon. They go up every year. We also don't have any culture compared to most major cities. I don't count Atlanta Braves and Rap Music, and the Big Chicken in Marietta.

It makes sense to pay a fee that gives you a tag for a few years and cuts out on all the red tape and expense at the Tag Office. But that would not follows Georgia's "Let's tax you and waste it by at least 35% top heavy city and state government" policy.

16. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In AZ we're paying ~$450 for two years. Most of that is a tax based on vehicle age/value. Insurance is ~$750/yr with progressive. Phoenix generally has high insurance due to high auto theft. We were surprised that our insurance went up when we moved from LA to Phoenix. At the time we were with Allstate and State Farm and paying about 2x, so its no so bad now.

We have no inspections, just emissions test every two years. I think the "classic" car exemption is federal, as I recall all vehicles over 25 yrs are exempt from pretty much all safety/emissions restrictions. For example you can import vehicles that did not meet DOT/EPA requirements once they are 25 years old. State inspection may still apply in some states, but that mostly just applies to horn, blinkers, lights, tires, rust holes etc.

Rob

17. PriusDiver

PriusDiver New Member

$21 for DEQ emissions certificate and $54 for the stickers, but its good for 2-years. Its nice only having to go through it every 2-years, of course renewals are easy, fairly fast and nearly painless here...if your car passes emissions. In fact this thread reminded me I have a car with tags that expire tomorrow, I am off to renew!

18. ewhanley

ewhanley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Last year when I licensed my car in Montana it was around $400. I recently moved to Alaska, and I think I paid something like $150 for two years. Nice to live in the land of no (few) taxes.

19. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ Oct 29 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]532145[/snapback]</div>
    My Heard Co., GA ad velorem/tag fee this year (october) was 241. But I have a 2 year older prius than you do. rip off indeed.

20. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (UK)

Road fund licence (road tax) - £30 (would be £150+ for a normal car based upon its emmisions)

On top of this you would also have a yearly inspection on cars over a certain age (MOT - £45) and insurance (probably over £200 for a comprehesive policy). So going on $600.

However mine is a company car, so I dont pay any of this. The car is however a taxable benefit, at the lower tax rate this means £544 a year (going on $1200).