1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you say to Prius Bashers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by peanutmac, Jun 5, 2006.

1. peanutmac

peanutmac New Member

At a recent social event some of our friends knew that we had recently purchased a 2006 Prius and felt compelled to tell us what a mistake we made. That we would never get our money out of it and that when the time came to change the batterys we would end up paying over $7000.

Honestly, we were stunned as no one came up to us and said anything remotely like this when we bought our last vehicle...( a Ford Windstar).

What are some replies for people like that...(nice please).

BTW one of the bashers had just purchased a Cadalac Escalade other drives a Lexus. (non hybrid)

Thanks

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanutmac @ Jun 5 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]265879[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know, how 'bout expressing sorrow for the fact that their penis compensators clearly hadn't worked, and asking if they had tried hiring a sexual surrogate? (Of course, asking how much they pay per mile to use aforementioned compensators, including the cost of the vehicle and repairs, since that is what they are bashing with the Prii, couldn't hurt, either.) ;)

3. j24816

j24816 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanutmac @ Jun 5 2006, 12:11 AM) [snapback]265879[/snapback]</div>

Don't put up with it.

Ask when they will 'get the money back' from their car. When they tell you they bought the car because they liked the features (poor gas milage, intimidates others on the road, antidote for mid-life crisis, whatever), reply that you did the same, for whatever reasons you bought the car. (and one of the features you like is good gas milage)

4. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I've gotten so frustrated by people like that - that now, instead of arguing or trying to come up with something smart, I just walk away and won't associate. Friends, Family or not, they are ignorant fools - and usually won't listen to what you tell them anyway.

5. FishHawk

FishHawk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2Hybrids @ Jun 5 2006, 05:47 AM) [snapback]265888[/snapback]</div>
    Just say let's talk again when gas reaches $4 a gallon which won't be too long when Iran cuts off our oil. FishHawk

6. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had a very few ignorant people at work say something negative to me about my new car. Many times I wanted to say something back but I haven't. I could have asked them if they had researched the Toyota Prius. I thought I saw a recent internet price for new Prius batteries for $2100USD. From what I have heard the batteries used to be very expensive 5 years ago. Last year $3000USD and now $2100USD. Looks like the price is declining. This is my 4th new Toyota since 1980 and not one single mechanical failure on any car that has left me stranded or where I had to take the car to the shop. I can't say that about the several new Chevys, Fords, and Dodges I have owned since the last century. :angry: Is there a price for quality? You bet, and I'm willing to pay for it. The warranty doesn't matter if it constantly breaks down. Can you put a price on your time and the stress it causes?

On the flip side, I have had more female work associates tell me they love my car and it has always been when someone else is around which more than makes up for the ignorant people I work with. My 17yr old son uses my car every Friday night to take his girl friend out on a date. All of his High School Varsity Football players 'LOVE' the car. I put that in quotes because of the number of times I have heard it. I haven't seen another Prius in my area and when I bought the car I had several High School kids coming over to my house to check it out. It amazed me how in tune they were with what famous person owns a Prius.

No, I don't know what to say to the people who just don't get it. I guess I could tell them that our goverment is giving me some of your money because I bought this car (TAX CREDIT) and grin arrogantly in their face. :D Well, I do think about it but I don't say it.

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanutmac @ Jun 5 2006, 03:11 AM) [snapback]265879[/snapback]</div>
    Ask them if they'll ever "get their money out of" their Escalade or Lexus, considering the premium they paid over the Kia Rio they "should" have bought.

Also, you can mention that the battery has an extended warranty, and that there are great examples of Priuses with high mileage that have done just fine.

8. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanutmac @ Jun 5 2006, 03:11 AM) [snapback]265879[/snapback]</div>
    How about:
    "How many miles would YOU have to drive to pay off that DVD player (pick your favorite option) you got installed? How about those 21"(?) inch fancy wheels? How many miles before you get your money back on those? Oh...you got those items because you wanted them. Well, so did it. But for me, as the gas prices continue to rise, I end up saving money."

"Well, it costs about USD$3000 to change the batteries and the price is going down all the time. As they make more Hybrids, the price will naturally go down, as it is now. The batteries are due for a change every 200k-300K miles or so. You would have to change a regular engine in that amount of time...how much do THEY cost these days? (or) I will have a new car LONG before then, so the cost doesn't matter."

9. Arnold

Arnold +AT+SR

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a recent edition of (BBC's) TV-program Top Gear the actor Ewan McGregor was asked what he had. He started with mentioning his 40 year old car and his Landrover SUV (with snorkel !), but then admitted that his daily commute was with a Prius. Top Gear stands for racing cars and SUVs, so this he had to defend. His reply: I drive in the city, which means I am usually standing still and it's a good thing that the motor is off then. They explained to him that a (real ?) car had a key which you could turn to OFF.

10. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How long will it take for you to pay back that NAV system instead of the Thomas Guide?

How long will it take for you to pay back that premium brand (jeans/car/luxury item/dvd/tv/leather/heels/water sucking flowers/landscaping etc) you just bought instead of the generic/desert/DIY kind?

How long will it take you to burn off that premium steak dinner's fat at Lawry's/Morton's/etc than just eating a nice simple dinner.

How long will it take you to pay back the time you took circling and waiting to find a parking space instead of just parking farther out and walking in?

Random enough?

11. AzizaVFR

AzizaVFR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Face it. Those people try to make themselves feel better by throwing their own hate and discontent with themselves onto the things they either fear or do not wish to understand. Most people do not know almost the entire railway freight industry has been running hybrid technology for over 50 years, using diesel engines to drive generators to power the electrical drive wheels.

How do I handle such a person? Take them for a drive. It shut down the hating quickly, and opens their eyes to new ideas. The world could really use less cases of myopia and more openmindedness.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Even though there are different views expressed so far, I think I agree with all of them. Sometimes it's fun to just lay into them for spewing such ignorant spittle while other times it's best to just say nothing at all.

I've used the "my car cost less than your SUV so I've already won" one a couple times. Someone told me once brfore a work meeting that they needed their SUV because they have children. "Ironically," I replied, "my hybrid is doing more for your children than your SUV." Immediately I felt really bad for having said that but most of the poeple in the room knew exactly what I meant and thought it was a great comeback. All the same, I apologized for snapping at them.

Like some have said, you have to play it by ear.

13. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 5 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]265916[/snapback]</div>
    HA! My sister told me the same thing. So I took all 2 of her kids out for ice cream (which they did NOT eat in the car! :lol: )

14. gbrehm

gbrehm New Member

I laugh out loud.

15. johnwdiehl

johnwdiehl New Member

I tell them if they don't like my little red rider don't ride in it. However, a few friends did'nt hesitate to ask to try it out. B)

16. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

Some people do need an SUV. Or at least an auto with third row seating. My sisters friend has 4 foster kids under the age of 5. That means 4 car seats.

My parents bought a huge pickup to haul a 32' fifth wheel RV when they retired and spent the next 7 or so years seeing the US and Canada. Mom now drives a Camry.

Don't judge them till you get to know them.

17. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At a Memorial Day picnic, my cousin went on and on about how by purchasing a Prius, I had made a HUGE mistake. He is convinced I won't save money on gas until it's $12/gallon. I told him to prove it. He just keep going and going.

In my opinion it's pointless to argue with him because his parents GAVE him a brand new Saturn Vue. That's right, he didn't pay one dollar for it. (BTW, he's 32 and still lives with them.) Since his parents take care of him and he doesn't pay for much, I don't value his opinion about how much money I should/shouldn't be spending on a vehicle/gas.

When I encounter other people who have negative things to say, I just laugh. I really don't care what other people think about my car. I paid for it, not them.

18. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "When I encounter other people who have negative things to say, I just laugh."

That's exactly what shuts them up. I've no problem outwardly laughing. Smugness IS a good quality, when it come to the Prius. If they don't get it, then they are not paying attention.

Or taking on a rude driver and finger-flashing. I wave, smile! It's awesome. I feel better that I've not given the rude driver the satisfaction. And it drives (pun intended) them crazy. Their tiny brains just can't figure out why I am not reacting like they want me to.

Enjoy the Prius ride, we ALL are better off with these cars in the world.

19. cuzican

cuzican New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whitestar @ Jun 5 2006, 09:09 AM) [snapback]265936[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. This is my first visit to this site and I like some of the points that are made, but also find alot of it to be one sided and not considering other factors. I have a big lifted gas drinking chevy truck, but I also have a honda civic. Not hybrid, but I do enjoy the 35+ mpg I get from it. We either drive my honda, or my wife's grand-am(32+mpg) for the most part. But I can't pull my boat to the lake with a car.....or haul my ATV's or snowmobiles with a car. I don't need to have such a big truck, but I enjoy it and it only gets driven on the weekends when its time to go play. The next new vehicle I get will probably be either the chevy truck hybrid but I don't know much about it, just read about it a little. Hell I don't even know if they actually produced it. Or a truck with displacement on demand. There are sometimes that a car is just not practical.
    I do run into people from time to time that give me a hard time about my truck and that angers me. Then I begin to enjoy parking next to someone at the gas pump that thinks they are doing some great thing by driving a hybrid to save gas, then proceeding to pump 40 gallons of gas into my truck, then pulling forward to pump another 50 gallons into my boat. We are wealthy enough that gas would have to get alot more expensive before I'd worry about it, but I do drive a civic during the week just because it makes sense. Anyway, this post was probably a waste of time, thanks for taking my opinion into consideration.

20. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At 55 mpg (winter) and 60+ mpg (summer), I first laugh. Then I show them my tank-by-tank spreadsheet and point out the cumulative fuel economy (51+ mpg) for 25k mi. I take them for a ride. I open the hood and show how things are laid out for ease of access and maintenance (and a Liter of electrons is cheaper than a Liter of gasoline). I open the liftback and point out the batteries, mentioning the NimH are guaranteed for 150k mi in California. I mention the Prius is in its ninth year of production with PHEVs scheduled for 2008-2009. I add that there are no smog checks and oil change intervals are 5k mi.

For those who talk about "payback time," I mention our monthly utility bill is less than $30 year round (many homes are $250 to $500 per month). Compared to surrounding homes and based on the cost of improvements, the payback time was 2.5 years. The house is very quiet and "holds" a comfortable temperature summer and winter.

Not much to say after that.