1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you think of ICE vs Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by theory816, Sep 19, 2023.

1. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    I own both vehicles and I have to say that both are easy to maintain except for when the hybrid starts to have problems with its system. Its an added layer of diagnostics.

I like the ICE because when I drive it and if something breaks, I know it can't be the hybrid system, which provides some peace of mind. But I do lose out on almost 20mpgs!

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to give one perspective that does not relate to fuel consumption.

My current car is a 48V "mild hybrid", so as near as dammit to ICE.

It's only done 75,000km (less than 50,000 miles), but last month had to replace all four brake pads and all four brake discs. It cost me more than A$3000 (US$2000).

The energy-recovery systems in full hybrids (and PHEVs and EVs) mean that much of the slowing of the car is done through regen, and friction braking plays a very small role in bringing the car to a halt, except in emergencies. That massively reduces wear on the brakes. When I sold my Prius it had done 130,000km, and there was loads of life left in the brakes.

There are heaps of other reasons to prefer hybrids (and PHEVs and EVs) to straight ICE cars: fuel consumption, smoothness in stop-start traffic, general NVH and much more. But the brake wear is something that people don't really think of, even though it's a significant cost.

3. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    Wait a minute, $2000 is unheard of for a brake job.

I know this because I recently wrote an answer to question about how much a brake job should cost and even the most premium brake job did not exceed $600.

The braking system does last longer on the hybrid that's for sure but the brakes shouldn't be that expensive to get done. My ICE brake jobs are around 30-40k miles while I believe I went 70k on my hybrid.

So the brakes on the hybrid is a plus, its not a big issue between ICE and Hybrid.

As for NVH, I have no issue between the two either when it switches between electric and gas. The biggest issue for NVH is the suspension system. Good tires, suspension parts, alignment makes the biggest difference in NVH for me.

4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell that to Sydney North Shore BMW...

I did call around, and they weren't actually any dearer than anyone else: this is the going rate for four discs and four pads for an X3 in Australia.

theory816 likes this.
  5. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    Oh its for a BMW. You left that key part out LOL. Those are some seriously expensive parts on the BMW.

hkmb likes this.
  6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. They're not known for being cheap to maintain.

theory816 likes this.
  7. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    Pretty admirable BMW can charge those prices if I'm being honest.

#7 theory816, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    hkmb likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    After my three Prius, today I own:
    • 2019 Tesla Model 3
    • 2017 BMW i3-REx (range extender engine, no transmission)
    I love the both but they are different. The Tesla is a road warrior with AutoPilot and Full Self Driving, it comfortably eats miles very cheaply, $2.50/100 miles.

The BMW i3-REx has dumb cruise control but the short wheel base and Tesla-like power to weight ratio, it works great in the city traffic. A little more expensive, $2.90/100 miles, it is a joy to deal with traffic jams and tight spaces. With the range extender, the 106 miles EV gets another 88 miles with the motor-scooter engine before adding 2.3 gallons of mid-grade. You can feed the range extender 24x7 like a motor cycle cross country in a comfortable cabin.

The Prius boosted my efficiency from ~35 MPG to ~52-55 MPG. So I could travel long distances for very little. It was quieter than my previous ICE with less vibration.

As for our previous ICE, an Echo, Minivan, Chevette, and Fury station wagon, nothing I would recommend except for someone I don't like.

Bob Wilson

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hate the noise of an engine. Moving away from both

Zythryn and hkmb like this.
  10. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep BMW...."Bring Massive Wallet"....hehehe The "luxury" label can add the costs for everything.

It's the same in the RV industry....a little garden hose can be $20 but if you slap "RV" on the label, you're looking at $30! It can be frustrating!

hkmb and bisco like this.
  11. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I might add the wedding industry to your list as well.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  12. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most hybrids are really ICE cars that are up-optioned to use EV to make the ICE part appear to be more economical, ecological, etc.

Downmarket drivers can use the magic of depreciation to make SOME HEV/PHEVS more economical real-world - or a lot less so, depending on the vagaries of maintenance history, brand reliability, or just plain dumb luck.

About 10 years ago, wireless Prius drivers were being triggered by the words "hybrid premium" and many new owners were asking questions and expressing doubts.
    I often opined that any vehicle with over 5 years or 100,000 miles on the clock is susceptible to HVAC, suspension, drivetrain, electrical, brake, or other issues that can cause thousands in repair costs.
    Hybrids have all of these vulnerabilities AND batteries, inverters, motor/generators, regenerative brakes, and you can add chargers for the not-wireless ones.

Can hybrids 'pay back' their premium?

Yup.
    The SMART, INFORMED owner can stack the odds deeply in their favor......for either purchase choise.

As they say in the biz.....

YMMV.

13. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    With modern cars, I'd say 100k on the clock is about 1/3 to 2/3 the life of a car.

Having own both ICE and Hybrid, I'd say the biggest issue is the hybrid system since it is mostly electrical in nature. Mechanics are less electrically inclined although it is getting better.

People will have more access to skilled mechanics that can diagnose and repair an ICE much faster and cheaper than hybrid technicians.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s precious little difference in the electrical complexity of modern cars, regardless if their propulsion is just engine, or assisted with a hybrid battery. Don’t kid yourself; they’re all electrically as complex as hell. Watch a few of the electrical trouble-shooting South Main Auto videos.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^ This. Plus, also, apparent complexity aside, the electrical stuff often replaces pre-electrical stuff that failed more. So the real 'problem' part of that problem statement is the part about mechanics being averse to it, and that is (of absolute necessity) getting better.

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One third to two thirds of the like is a wide range, but I agree.
    The real-world life-cycle of the 'every-car' a is about 15 years and/or 200k (miles).

The repair costs have gone up by MORE than 1/3 to 2/3 even when you're factoring in inflation.

Skilled?
    Honest?
    YMMV.
    In the military, intel weenies play a little game that the folks out in the field call: "WE bet YOUR life."
    In the automotive world, it's more like WE troubleshoot with YOUR wallet.
    I've been here long enough to see more than a few posts by outraged owners who report that technicians can neither diagnose NOR repair an ICE car more rapidly or for less money than their hybrid counterparts.
    The thing about hybrids is that (a) they have more things to break and (b) most hybrids will fail completely if something like an inverter or a traction battery goes Tango-Uniform.

Either way?
    As accurately stated above, in many cases it's an electronics issue, but also as accurately stated above they replace less reliable mechanical components, and they're often connectorized - for easy removal and replacement!
    Sometimes?
    More than one component or wire can go bad, which means that the "technician" might have to replace more than one part at a time, following a well-thought out and documented diagnostic procedure.

Or?
    They just use the SWAG method.
    In the electronics world, they call it "easter-egging" which is the art of replacing stuff until the problem (or the customer) goes away.
    Dealerships have an advantage in this world...because, like COSTCO rotisserie chickens, they're in the BACK.
    You have to walk out through a showroom of new-allegedly trouble-free cars after the "service advisor" gives you an estimate for a repair whose dollar amount has a comma in it.

17. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Certainly, agree cars are more "complex" these days.

Also find that many systems on vehicles can self-diagnose and get the repair on the right track with a code message or fault indicator.
    Many Factory Repair Manuals are quite advanced and almost like Military Technical Instruction Manuals walking you through each step.
    The repair tools are also quite advanced-reading the computers - scanning for codes- even able to command the car systems to run through diagnostic protocols.
    In some cases Technician education has not kept pace with the information and tools available
    There are cases where there is a work around for the Technician skill, where through modern communication tools a Master Technician can remote in and lead the troubleshooting procedure to a successful conclusion.

One thing we can all probably agree on is that labor and parts costs have skyrocket complicating the return on investment portion of the repair equation, and I wonder if that is the root of the real conversation?

Trollbait likes this.
  18. theory816

theory816 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Base
    Its interesting to hear that labor has skyrocketed because you'd think that as more technicians understand ICE technology that the repair and diagnostic process would be more fleshed out.

For example lets say I'm doing a brake job on an ICE car, the labor pricing has levels depending on parts and level of detail. Those variables fluctuate between a price boundaary, because what you can do to brakes doesn't change unless you add in a level of complexity such as the hybrid system.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    labor costs are up because of the lack of laborers, not the complexity of systems

Tideland Prius and Zythryn like this.
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

What do I think of ICE vs hybrids?
    Isn’t that like asking what do you think of Fruit vs Apples?

bisco likes this.