1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by augustson, Dec 7, 2005.

1. augustson

augustson New Member

Just wanted to get some general opinions from the members. Here's my story: (I'm in SE Georgia, by the way)

Back in Setember I looked at getting a 2005 Prius. I got a quote through the internet and everything looked great (MSRP-- short wait) so I went dealership to test drive a rental unit and really liked it. The dealer filled out a buyers form and I took it home... THE NEXT DAY the dealer says, "Oh, I forgot to add TOYOGUARD which is MANDATORY (which seemed ridiculous to me)" There was also an apparent requirement for me to purchase the floor mats and cargo mat at MSRP as well. ANYWAY... in the end I kept getting upset that the price kept increase (at least 2 different increases) and I had already paid a depo$it. So the owner offered to refund my deposit, or put it towards a 2006 model which he would have in December. I agreed, as long as we kept all the same specs (highest option package available at MSRP). So...

December is here and my prius is SUPPOSED to be on it's way... but when they faxed me the consumer sheet it was a package 7 (not a package 8 with leather) and had stupid things added like an Accent Stripe for $79 and Splash Guards. THEN, they had written on it, "Add Leather $1398". Apparently, the dealer says that they won't be getting any package 8 vehicles for 4 - 5 months and they will be adding the leather at port. However, the cost difference between package 7 and package 8 is only $1160...

Does all of this sound like typical SE dealer behavior??

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, it's typical SE Toyota Region and typical car dealer BS>
    Tell them that doesn't suit you. Find another dealer. Buy a Honda. Don't take it.
    Everyone that pays over MSRP is just fueling the fire.

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TOYOGUARD and mats are NOT mandatory! :angry: Thats just the dealer's way of telling you "we want more profit margin". My dealer, also in the SE area, has guaranteed me that the 2006 will NOT have Toyoguard or mats installed. In fact, they have a 2006 Package #3, Driftwood Pearl, in stock RIGHT NOW without any options:
    MSRP
    Base $21,725
    Options $1,495
    Del, Proc & Hndlg $635

Total $23,855

Just let them know, in no uncertain terms, that you are willing to shop outside your area for a SE dealer who will give you EXACTLY the car you want, without all the expensive trimmings you don't want, and at MSRP. BTW, ALL 8 packages show up whenever I build a 2006 Prius in my zipcode, unlike when I was trying other zipcodes, which would seem to indicate an SE dealer can get you ANY package you want.
    Jeff O.
    Hobe Sound, FL

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Reagrding the topic of this thread (Is dealer pulling a fast one?):

YES

5. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

What's Toyoguard?

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Exactly what many SE Region dealers are NOTORIOUS for.

You didn't say, but when you agreed to go for the '06 instead of the '05, did the "MSRP" slide up to cover the $490 increase? I assume it did.

In any case, I'd suggest getting a quote from a dealer in the region just north of you (VA, I think) at MSRP with no add-ons. If you can't use that to leverage your dealer, get your money back and BUY it in another state.

Someone should show these bozos in SE they can't just keep getting away with their schtick (and I'm sure some have stood up to them). They've carved out their own little Toyota, Jr. Empire. I'd make a call to Toyota, too.

7. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again though, not ALL SE dealers play that game, at least not 100%. Everytime I've checked my dealer's inventories, about 1/3 of their cars DON'T have the TOYOGUARD and mats. They have repeatedly assured me that they will NOT force those options on me. As I pointed out above, of the two 2006 Prii in stock, one HAS those options, and one does not. So, they're 50/50 at this point! :p
    Time will tell though........

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Same here. Apparently since the SE has been offering leather as a port option for quite a while, they are going to keep doing that and focus on getting the factory leather to the regions that didn't ever have it as an option.

As for the Toyoguard, good luck getting it without. That is pretty much a standard port installed option for EVERY Toyota that gets to the SE. I've told my dealer that I don't want it either, but I don't have high hopes of that coming true. At least I'll be the first one to get an '06 here.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why were you willing to keep trying to do business with a dealer that had already expressed a strong desire to screw you? I would get far away from that dealer as quickly as I could.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Visit the Consumer Reports website and read their excellent advice on car buying: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home.htm

I did all my shopping by phone, did rounds of bidding by fax, and got one for less than MSRP. I did wait six months for delivery, and, of course, Your Mileage May Vary.

11. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the fun of it, I checked the inventories at both Courtesy Toyota of Bradenton, and Stadium Toyota in Tampa. Of the 3 2006 Prii available at Courtesy, 2 had Toyoguard, and 1 did not.
    At Stadium Toyota, they show 7 2006 Prii available, 5 with Toyoguard, and 2 without. But, the 2 without Toyoguard did have $209 mats and other options added to pad the bill.
    It seems to me that it would be more likely to get Courtesy to sell you one with exactly the options you asked for.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I've already checked, the only car with the package and color combinatin is the one coming to Kuhn-Morgan. Courtesy has a packaeg #7, but it's red. Stadium Toyota is forever off my list of places to shop. I wouldn't go there if they offered me the exact car I wanted even if they gave me thousands off the MSRP and even threw in an extended warranty.

I prefer simplicity most of the time. Kuhn-Morgan has my deposit, they have my car. If it comes down to the stupid ToyoGuard package, I'll just negotiate the price down somewhere else. No one can ever MAKE you buy a car, so if things don't turn out to my satisfaction, then I'll just walk, or wait for the correct car. I'd like to get it sooner rather than later, but I'm not in any sort of critical hurry. My current car is a bit of a gas hog, but it still runs flawlessly. I could easily drive it for years.

13. tag

tag Senior Member

Good question! I've heard everything from nothing more than some sort of environmental coating applied to the wheel wells to a full "protection package", including rustproofing, paint sealant, interior protection, VIN etching, etc.

Only your friendly SE Toyota Distributor knows for sure.

14. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    BS & $$$$$$$