1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you use on your plastic/vinyl?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by u4iia, May 13, 2005.

1. u4iia

u4iia New Member

Through out the years I have tried a variety of products to clean my dash, etc. Does anyone have a fav? I generally stay away from protectants/cleaners that leave a residue or make the vinyl shine. Just my preference. Put your two cents in.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Might draw some fire here but I use these----->[Broken External Image]:http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/102344_front200.jpg

I like the fact that they're easy to find (many drug and grocery stores have 'em) and convenient to use. Also, it appears to me that they don't leave much of that typical "slippery-looking" shine on the plastic surfaces (as do some other ArmorAll products) and I've discovered they're perfectly safe and effective for removing a variety of dried "stuff" off the upholstery. Finally, although I think they're priced reasonably at full retail, I hardly ever pay that as the product seems to be perpetually on sale.

3. Grdn2

Grdn2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Newbie here. Great question. I've been trying to find something as well. I stumbled across something called 303 Aerospace Protectant spray that is supposed to have high UV protection without being oily. A little bit pricey but I'd like to try it if the feedback is good. It looks like it is mainly sold at boating type stores. Anyone here heard of it or tried it??

Karen

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I threw down a signature series dashmat (looks like suede/felt not the carpet one). Then I use those static sheet duster gloves. I forget the name but they are white and dry but pick up dust and stuff really good. I use this to wipe down all hard surfaces. To clean the dash mat I use packing tape rolled around my hand to pick up anything on it.

5. u4iia

u4iia New Member

Tadashi,

Would you happen to have any pics of your interior (with the dashmat)? I am goin to try the static sheet mitt. What a good idea!

6. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

I use Griot's Garage products. Expensive, but they're nice and can be bought in quantity. No shine from the interior dressing.
    I also use a microfiber mitt to dust.
    I've used 303 products, but never the vinyl dressing.

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tend to dry dust the interior once every couple of weeks with a Swiffer duster. Convenient and the dusters are available in quantity at Costco. I use a damp cloth, or rather a terry cloth dampened with a little aresol window cleaner to wipe down any surfaces which seem to be soiled. I have experienced no negative effects with the plastic surfaces and that stuff.

I do use a moistened terry cloth on the Multi-display. Many would argue against it, but I have owned PowerBooks since 1994 and have used windex or another window cleaner product in a diluted quantity on a cloth for years on those surfaces with no ill effects. They key is to spray the cleaner on the cloth, a very soft cloth, and then lightly wipe the screen. Works every time.

For removing light stains or hardened junk from the seat material (I avoid getting my interior conked over, but sometimes when you go out to eat you end up sitting in stuff) I found that water and a cloth may not be enough. A very weak solution of Oxyclean applied to a cloth works wonders. Again, I do not spray the fabric directly.

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(u4iia\";p=\"89209)</div>
    I will take a picture tomorrow after work and post it. I never liked the look of the carpet one for $29, but the signature series one looks pretty good. Not sure how to describe it. Looks like the same polypropolene fabric the army makes thermal underwear out of to me. My dash is also significantly cooler to the touch now. Although not sure why since the dashmat is also black.

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Tadashi posted his pics in the Appearance Modifications forum under "Dashmat".