1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What do you use to clean the MFD, smoked plastic, etc.?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by a priori, Sep 4, 2007.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've searched through the various forum topics, and I found general info about interior detailing, and even a couple of mentions of cleaning the MFD. Unfortunately, I haven't found the answers I'm seeking.

I'm wondering what cleaners work best for which materials inside the car.

In a prior car, I used a glass cleaner on a clear plastic cover over the radio, and it seemed to leave streaks. I couldn't ever get these off.

The Prius has several different surfaces. For instance: The MFD -- Is that an LCD screen? If so, then I'd likely use the same cleaner I use for my eye glasses (and notebook screen). How about the "smoked glass" looking material -- Is it glass or plastic? Or how about the other (plastic?) on the dash that covers the area below the MFD? Or the shiny retractable cup holders? Which ones are glass and which are plastic?

What cleaners are safe? Which ones are eco-friendly?

Oh, the humanity!

2. jenkinra

jenkinra New Member

Here's what works for me - it's cheap and very effective. Terry cloth staining pads (used to apply stain to wood) and a small amount of dish washing soap in water. The staining pads are actually 4" X 5" sponges covered with a soft terry cloth material. They are available at any home improvement or hardware store, and cost only a couple bucks for a package of 4. Add only 2 or 3 drops (more is not better here) of dishwashing detergent (the liquid kind for hand washing) to a 16 oz squirt bottle of water. A few squirts of this solution on each side of a staining pad will make it wet enough but not drippy. The flexibility and size of the pad will allow you to easily reach all parts of your windshield. Use soft paper towels to dry it off. Simply rinse out the pad when finished. Works really well on the dashboard itself (no wiping off required), along with door sills, cup holders, etc. You'll be amazed at the results and save some money too.

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BillMerchant turned me on to this 303 stuff.
    Hold on... I'll post a link: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=10679

Anyway, this stuff IS great. I got the trial pack, and the dash and MFD isn't nearly as prone to dust as it was before.

4. fastrnu

fastrnu New Member

Casabella screen cloth. It works on the control panel and the plastic compartment covers with no chemicals. I store it right under the radio and I wipe the prints off everything all of the time. It works awesome and it's only $4.99.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I use Kensington Screen cleaner and lint free cloths for the MFD. Same stuff I use on my laptop screen.

I use Meguiar's PlastX to clean the interior smoked plastic parts.

6. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fastrnu @ Sep 4 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]507030[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've not heard of this product before, so I checked on the Casabella web site for the cloth. It shows a two-pack for sale at $12.99. Where do you get it for just $4.99?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Sep 4 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]507026[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip (and thanks to Bill, too). I've found this is available at our local Ace Hardware store!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 4 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]507051[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Godiva. I'd like to take a look at the PlastX constituents. This seems to be more of a rehab and polishing cleaner, as opposed to a basic cleaner. I've used several other Meguiars products for cleaning the outside of the car (as well as some leather cleaner for the interior), and they've worked well for me.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Old well-washed all-cotton rags. I used Windex on everything for three years until I was warned that ammonia could hurt the MFD. Now I use drugstore isopropanol on the MFD. No damage yet...

8. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 5 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]507286[/snapback]</div>
    I believe regular rubbing alcohol is a preferred cleaner for LCD displays. "Regular" rubbing alcohol is simply watered down ethanol, though some rubbing alcohols contain methanol (don't drink it!). Isopropyl rubbing alcohol likewise is just watered-down isopropanol. Again, don't drink this! I think either one would do the job on the MFD, but I don't really want my car to smell like rubbing alcohol!

12. fastrnu

fastrnu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 4 2007, 11:11 PM) [snapback]507105[/snapback]</div>
    You can buy them at www.villagehomegoods.com for $4.99 but you will pay shipping unless you spend $60.

http://www.villagehomegoods.com/mm5/mercha...ory_Code=cleanx

13. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  14. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 5 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]507296[/snapback]</div>
    Mmm, no, "rubbing alcohol" is isopropanol (usually 70%) plus water and perfume and skin-softening junk that does not aid in cleaning the MFD. 91% isopropanol (yeah, I originally wrote "97%" but the stuff I have now is 91%) has none of the extra junk and evaporates leaving no residue or odor. Ask for it by name! :_>

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Mr Sheen which has an clone which isn't as good called pledge.
    Mr Sheen cleans everything and leave a very thin protective wax coating behind. No streaks.
    Clean wax and polish as you dust with Mr Sheen.

16. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Sep 6 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]508253[/snapback]</div>
    Mmm, no. "Rubbing alcohol" is not an isopropanol mixture. Things may vary country to country, but the basic old rubbing alcohol is ethanol plus water and, sometimes, some oil or glycerin for a softening effect. Without most of the additives it can be a good basic cleaner. Isopropyl rubbing alcohol substitutes isopropanol for ethanol. Both kinds are sold as "rubbing alcohol" -- you just need to look to see the main constituents. There also are often denatured rubbing alcohols where methanol is added. I suppose it was added just to keep people from using it for cocktails. If you get either ethanol or isopropanol at your chemist's you'll get it in a diluted form (watered down). Before using it to clean, you should make certain it doesn't have other additives that could allow residue and streaking.

Sorry -- Don't mean to be so corrective. :mellow: I just wanted to make certain people understood that "rubbing alcohol" is not synonymous with isopropanol (unless it says it is isopropyl rubbing alcohol). And again -- regardless of whether it is denatured or isopropyl rubbing alcohol, you must keep it away from children and not allow anyone to drink it! ;)

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Two things I do not use on my laptop screen: alcohol or ammonia. I would not use either on the MFD either.

I would only use something safe for a laptop screen, whatever it is.

18. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a priori @ Sep 6 2007, 09:46 PM) [snapback]508306[/snapback]</div>
    Well, shut my mouth. Thanks for the correction.

To be precise, I clean my MFD with a 97% isopropanol product sold by pharmacies in the US as rubbing alcohol free of skin softeners or fragrance. I would not handle nor apply to the MFD anything that has been denatured with either methanol or petroleum derivatives. And I wear driving gloves so that there are very few smudges in the first place.

19. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

I went to the dealer parts counter yesterday for an oil filter for my 07 & noticed they had Mothers "Back to Black" polish there. Thats an excellent product for that black plastic area around the MFD that I had messed up with Black Magic "Protectant" . The "Protectant" worked great on the dash but left spots on that special black plastic trim around the MFD. The "Back to black" brought it back to new car excellence. Like everything else it takes a bit of thinking before you can do the right thing on
    our babies. I'm still learning thanks to this site!

20. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 8 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]509273[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Drifty's. I've had that problem before (streaking or marking black plastic), and I didn't know a product that would bring it back. I'd heard of Back to Black, but I thought it was for tires! Oops.