1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does "leather trimmed" mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mjsea71, Jun 2, 2007.

1. mjsea71

mjsea71 New Member

The Toyoto site refers to the option 6 seats as "leather trimmed." Can someone tell me exactly what that means? What's the difference between leather trimmed and leather seats?

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjsea71 @ Jun 2 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]454123[/snapback]</div>
    Generally a leather seat is completely covered in leather. A leather trimmed seat is a combination of cloth & leather. I haven't seen a Prius with leather so I won't specifically comment. You may be happier with aftermarket leather as there is a wider selection of colors and quality. Look through www.carbuyingtips.com for general buying advice.

3. dfrost7

dfrost7 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjsea71 @ Jun 2 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]454123[/snapback]</div>

You guys touched on the only area of complaint I had when I bought my car. The leather upholstery. In my case, they said I was getting leather and upon inspection, I found the backing and the vinyl or synthetic material with a small strip of leather mid seats.

When I called the dealer, they told me no leather upholstery was 100% leather - to which I said hogwash.
    It wouldn't have bothered me if I was told it was leather trimmed. That would have been fine. But, they never gave in to the fact they should not be claiming less than 40% leather was not truely leather - it should be called something else. I explained my Jeep has all leather. They didn't budge.

I do like the seats because I can spill things and it is very easy to clean. It's dark gray and I have the Magnetic Gray 06.

Love it, don't love misrepresentation.

4. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The "seating surfaces" are leather. That's the part of the seat back and seat bottom that you actually sit on.

The side bolsters and behind the seat back are vinyl.

The Volvo XC90 has the same partial leather.

Dfrost, look carefully at the sticker for the car. I'm sure it says leather-trimmed or "leather seating surfaces." There's no chance Toyota would misrepresent; they have lawyers.

5. mjsea71

mjsea71 New Member

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate your time.

THis site is so helpful! It's great to have this resource to use before buying.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dfrost7 @ Jun 2 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]454173[/snapback]</div>
    I seriously doubt your Jeep's seats are all leather. I used to have a Grand Cherokee Limited and the back and sides of the front seats were vinyl. The entire front surface was leather though. Some of the vinyl was so similar to leather it was hard to tell it was not, like on the backs of the headrests, but eventually I could reliably tell what was leather and what was vinyl.

Toyota does describe the Prius seats as "leather trimmed".

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjsea71 @ Jun 2 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]454123[/snapback]</div>
    marketing term that's all. leather seats, leather-trimmed interior, leather-appointed interior etc etc.

However, there is a difference when you see "leather seat surfaces". This means that only the surface (which you actually touch on a daily basis) is leather. The side and the back of the seat is vinyl or synthetic leather. Of course the amount of leather vs. vinyl depends on the car. Some are more generous and give you leather on the bolsters, some don't. Some are generous in giving the rear centre position real leather, others leave it as vinyl/synthetic leather.

To do a quick check, press down with your thumb on a surface. If it creases, it's leather. If it doesn't, it's vinyl.