1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does the hands-on-steering-wheel indicator mean?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by jonberger, Aug 31, 2024 at 11:48 AM.

1. jonberger

jonberger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    On the meter section of my 2024 Prius Prime, there's an indicator I can't figure out and I can't find in the owner's manual. It's probably in there, but I find the manual a bit hard to use. The indicator is right underneath the speedometer. It's two slanted lines, resembling a road, with a series of horizontal lines connecting them, and a little icon that's obviously supposed to resemble hands on a steering wheel at the bottom. I think I've figured out what the horizontal lines are: they indicate how close I'm willing to get to the car in front of me when I'm in adaptive cruise control mode, right? I can change the number of them by pressing the button on the lower right of the cruise control cluster. But I haven't figured out what the hands-on-steering-wheel icon means. It seems to go on and off at random moments. I'm sure it's not random, but I haven't figured out what it correlates with.

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    It indicates some form of steering assist/control. Grey = standby, White = assist, Green = control.

If cruise control is on, it indicates the Lane Tracing Assist is active (green) or on standby (grey, due to not being locked onto lines).

If cruise control is off, it might indicate Proactive Driving Assist's steering assist is active (white), or that the Lane Departure Prevention function has activated and is steering you back into lane (green).

The random on-and-off you're seeing is the steering assist going active and inactive depending on whether it can make out the road lanes - the two sides are indicated by the lane indicators. It would go off permanently if you turned off PDA or its steering assist.

3. jonberger

jonberger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Thank you! That's extremely helpful. And am I right about the horizontal bars in that same indicator -- that they indicate how close the adaptive cruise control will let me get to the car in front?

4. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep.