1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What does the security system actually do?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 1playwonder, Jan 19, 2006.

1. 1playwonder

1playwonder Junior Member

I was having a discussion with a few friends about the amount of car thefts in my area. It got me thinking about the Toyota Security System that's installed on my 06 Prius. I realized I don't know much about the system or what it does to protect my car. Can anyone out there fill me in? Sorry if this is a complete noob question :unsure:

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good question (from another noob and prius driver wanna be).

I've researched this car so much but security is one of the few areas I don't know much about more then the fact that it comes installed. What is the difference between this system and the normal "unlock door" fobb?

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This is just off the top of my head. You'll probably see better answers later on.

Well, you need the fob to start the car whether it's the SKS or not. If you were in the car (with the fob in your pocket) if someone carjacked you, as long as you still have the fob they can only go until they power down. I've heard (with no real details) of one theft. This was because the owner left the fob on the table at a party. The thief merely grabbed the fob and went into the parking lot, pressing the unlock button until a car beeped.

In the '05 (and I presume the '06) there is another alarm. This one normally activates when you press the lock button. A way to test this is to lower the driver's window, power off, then lock the door. Leave the fob a few feet away and reach in to open the door from the inside. That should activate the alarm. This is the Active mode. The Passive mode is the same, but you don't need to lock the door. There is a "dance" to change it to Passive or the dealer can do it (either free or $45). Most find it more trouble than it's worth.

In the '05 there was an optional alarm which was a glass breakage sensor. Really nothing more than a mic that would detect the sound of glass breaking.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    okie dokie.. here's the breakdown.

Remote Keyless Entry - this is a fob that has lock/unlock on it and is used to remotely lock and unlock the doors. Some will come with a remote trunk opener and some will come with a panic button. Most factory keyless entry systems only lock/unlock. They usually require you to purchase their manufacturer's alarm system to have the panic and trunk release features.

Engine Immobiliser - this immobilises the engine making it difficult for thieves to hot wire the car. There are several types - active, passive (electronically coded) and passive (transponder). The latter is the most effective in theft deterrent. The Prius comes with the middle one. It has an electronically coded fob that MUST be present in order to start the vehicle. In non-SKS cars, the correct fob must be inserted into the dash, with SKS, you may start the car with the fob hidden away.

Alarm - This sounds an alarm and flashes lights (usually headlights/indicators and sometimes taillights) if an intrusion is detected. Intrusions include unlocking the door without the key or fob, disconnecting then reconnecting the engine while the car is locked, forcefully opening the trunk and so on. Systems with alarm usually come with a panic button on the fob. Pressing the panic button sounds the alarm manually if you see someone snooping around your car or if you simply want to use it to find your car.

Glass Breakage Sensor - as aaf709 said, this has a sensor in the glass to detect resonance. If the glass is tapped hard or broken, the alarm will sound. Making it too sensitive will cause the alarm to go off when planes fly overhead or if some ricer with a fart can drives by.

The Prius comes standard with an immobiliser and has the alarm as an option and the glass breakage sensor as an accessory.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    To start the car you need the Fob. Other than that you need to trade out one of the ECUs that has a Fob registered to it. It is difficult to steal a Prius, but someone will never the less figure it out. For the moment we are in good shape, unless someone comes along with a flat bed truck. :blink: