1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Drives Us - Episode 22 "Our First Movie Star"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What Drives Us #22 for July 2, 2010 A very special show featuring the complete panel of Tony Schaefer, Dr. Evan Fusco and Linda Weidemann, hosts Danny Cooper and Russell Frost are joined by clean car advocate and star of "Who Killed the Electric Car", Chelsea Sexton. The group discuss Sexton's recent article regarding adding noisemaking devices to hybrid and electric vehicles and a wide range of topics such as her take on the Volt, the Leaf and much more. Hosts: Russell Frost and Danny Cooper Panelists: Tony Schaefer, Dr. Evan Fusco and Linda Weidemann Special Guest: Chelsea Sexton Episode #: 22 Time: 1:16:05 Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes Subscribe to What Drives Us - Enhanced Edition with your favorite podcatcher Subscribe to What Drives Us - MP3 with your favorite podcatcher Direct M4A Download Leave us a voicemail with your question or topic and we'll try to get you on the air. Just call (575) 51-DRIVE. Become a "Fan" of What Drives Us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/whatdrivesus or check out our new website with all of the previous episodes at http://whatdrives.us B-roll for this week was from the South Carolina Gamecocks' National Championship celebration. Everyone thinks it's funny when I talk about my favorite team.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Chelsea's really cool. I can't wait to meet her in person at Green Drive Expo.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, my iPod Touch, V4.0, reports it can't play episode 22 after trying to load it directly. However, once it showed up on iTunes, no problem. Curious.

Bob Wilson

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I really enjoyed this podcast and listened to it three times. But then I've been a little OCD about "Bell the Hybrid" for awhile. Still, some thoughts to share.

The Auto Alliance, Dave McCurdy, is likely the political leader behind this effort. A former Congressman from the Oklahoma oil patch [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_McCurdy"]Dave McCurdy[/ame], hybrids are about 2-3% of all automotive sales and the other 97% have never been hybrid friendly. It isn't just Bob Lutz but a lot of traditional car makers wish hybrids and EVs would just go away.

Sharing the facts and data with the blind is not criticism, it is a warning that they are about to walk into a continued, noise hazard. It doesn't mean they will agree but I've been on the "Quiet Cars" e-mail list since May 26, 2007 and continue to share facts and data free from malice and judgment.

Chelsea inspired me to visit other sites, those she had been associated with and others such as "EV World." I wanted to find others who might share her concerns only it wasn't very successful. In "EV World," there was no posting about the legislation, H.R. 5381 and S. 3302. One article in May about the effort resulted in one snarky comment about "Nanny State."

Toyota has sold a million hybrids in the USA. With the rest, probably about 1.5 million hybrids are rolling on our streets. I don't know the EV population. Outside of our community, the silence is deafening . . . unless an article is published.

When an article is published, for sure someone will suggest 'playing card in the spokes.' But overall, the postings run two and three against for every advocate. This is why a stealthy, addition to the Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 2010 is being used . . . to provide cover.

So I enjoyed the podcast but then I'm a litttle OCD about "Bell the Hybrid." It has to do with ignoring effective systems to use the same noise that has killed pedestrians since the invention of engine powered cars.

Bob Wilson