1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Drives Us Podcast: Episode 12 "All Prius PHV"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A special "on-the-road" episode. Danny is in San Diego attending Toyota's Sustainable Mobility Seminar where he's had a chance to drive not only the prototype Prius PHV but also the Highlander FCV. Russell grills Danny on his experience and what he's learned about the Prius PHV (as well as the Highlander). Hosts: Russell Frost and Danny Cooper Episode #: 12 Time: 1:06:56 Subscribe to the Podcast in iTunes Subscribe to What Drives Us - Enhanced Edition with your favorite podcatcher Subscribe to What Drives Us - MP3 with your favorite podcatcher Direct MP3 Download Leave us a voicemail with your question or topic and we'll try to get you on the air. Just call (575) 51-DRIVE. Become a "Fan" of What Drives Us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/whatdrivesus or check out our new website with all of the previous episodes at http://whatdrives.us.

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice job Danny, I just listened to it (at work even). I do wish they would release it in 2011, I think they will miss a window here, and allow the Leaf to get some real traction by delaying to 2012.

BTW, I would still rather have the Leaf, than the PHEV Prius

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the info in the podcast. I haven't had a chance to read any writeups here yet.

I'd imagine they're going to change quite a bit the final production versions, hopefully along the lines of some of the gripes you mentioned. I agree about your mention of no regen into packs one and two being insane.

I'd be curious to hear if they were willing to give a reason for that... was it some engineering or cost reason or something else?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots of good info in this episode. Thanks Danny!

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The podcast has much more in-depth information than I was able to provide in my brief write-up.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I listened to it and I want the PHV Prius even more.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's exactly what we want =) I think it answers a good number of questions that were posed in your other thread plus a few others (like the battery meter and HSI Eco icon for example.) I also found it odd that Pack 2 and 3 are only charged via the power socket. It would be awesome to be able to use them for regenerative braking storage too. That would make the drive to the local ski hill and even cheaper proposition since I can regain more energy lost and as a bonus use it in C-D mode once I reach the bottom.