1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What Else Should I Add?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by moondawg, Feb 13, 2011.

1. moondawg

moondawg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just (Feb 2011) traded in my 2002 Tundra (12 MPG on a good day) for a new, untitled 2010 Prius II. Found it a tad lacking in some 'standard' features so here's what I ordered...PLEASE tell me if YOU think I should get anything else as this is my one shot to upgrade:

Clear protective 3/4 way up the hood, 6 mill adhesive plastic cover for the front end and rear view mirrors (stone chip protection);

Directional (N, S, E, W,) rear view mirror (I am directionally challenged);

Front/Rear mud flaps (rocker protection);

Horizontal side mouldings color matched to my Prius color to prevent a**holes from dinging my doors;

Vertical edge guards for all 4 doors;

Rear Bumper guard to prtotect the top of the bumper when loading/unloading 'stuff';

WeatherTech Floor mats;

Fog lamps.

Any other items that fall in the "gotta get" category??

Suggestions/opinions most welcome. Thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Rear Bumper Guard was part of our Canadian Touring package, I think it's a decent idea, especially if you're loading big/bulky items.

The Fog Lamps were also part of that package. IMHO they are a waste of space: very ineffective, mainly just look good. I would not shell out big bucks for those as an extra.

Weathertech Floor mats: mehh: what color are your carpet mats. Ours were dark grey, and are holding up pretty good, not showing dirt to speak of.

Front/Rear mud flaps: This is actually the first time we had a vehicle without front and rear mud flaps. Was a little concerned at first. Now don't miss them. The wheel well liners, rocker panels and rear bumper are almost like mud flaps, fwiw.

Clear plastic film on the hood: I'd skip on that, might be a headache to remove down the road, may yellow, scratch, peal, bubble, etc. What's the object? To prevent stone chips? Just don't tailgate.

Directional mirror: no comment ;) No, actually: could have used that, once: got completely turned around in a new neighbourhood. Found the main road finally, except I'd already crossed it once without noticing, so ended up turning the wrong direction onto it, ended up going about 10 kilometers, in the wrong direction. Hey, it was an overcast day! ;) But other than that...

Horizontal side moldings: mehh: they look tacked on, may or may not be where needed when the dings come, do not know.

Oh, more stuff! Easy:

Block heater

3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to PriusChat and congrats on your upcoming Prius II. I'm more excited about you getting a new Prius than the extras you're adding. I'm glad you're focused on keeping your new Prius looking new, though I don't care for the "hang-on options" like moldings, flaps, guards, etc.. as I feel it detracts from Prius' original lines and looks. If you've been lurking around PriusChat, you'll find plenty of discussion about extras and options for you new Prius.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have the WeatherTech cargo liner which is a good way to keep the cargo area carpet in good shape.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd put window tints in the "gotta get" category.

Clear bra is ok. The bra will still get rock chips. It's like putting a case on your iPhone; the case will just get damaged not the phone, but it'll still look beat. Really the only advantage is if you plan to sell the car-- pull the bra off and you have a pristine paint job.

The side mouldings aren't fool proof since doors are all different shapes and sizes.

Mud guards reduce mpg by reducing aerodynamics.

Just things to consider.

6. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am seriously considering Ventshade window vents, the stick on kind, not the in-channel kind. I have not purchased them for the Prius yet, but I have had them on my '91 Toyota Truck and '98 4-Runner for many years without the first hint of trouble. My main concern on the Prius is if it will lower the MPGs very much. A little is ok, but I have no evidence at this time if it will be none, a little, or a lot. I really need them here in hades since the summers are scorching hot. Being able to crack the windows a bit will let a some of heat out, although it is still hot inside, just not quite as much.

I have researched the in-channel type and there are simply too many negatives. They do look better, but if they are a headache to install and cause problem later, then they might not be worth it.

7. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Like Dogfriend says, a set of Weathertech floor mats is a great floormat upgrade. The mats are far better than Toyota's optional all-weather mats. There's another floor mat by Huskie which some of the PriusChatters like better than Weathertech.