1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What else should I do while at it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rafikiro, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Rafikiro

Rafikiro Mockba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all! My 2008 Prius Package 2 is nearing 200,000 miles. I had meant to start general replacement and maintenance over the next month, well the aux battery decided to push the matter for me and died. So I decided to go a head with the spark plugs this weekend. Well, now I am in it and have things out and off so figured I might as well move forward with spending the weekend. What else should I do while at it? Got the PCV valve on order, maybe throttle cleaning. Anything else while all the covers are off? Breaks and such I am saving for next week. I know Galaxy did a good write up and have reviewed that over the years and just now.

Oh and while I am at it, a couple months ago the not heads up, heads up display died, I know there is a technical term for this but cant remember at the moment. Meaning the cant tell speed, gas level, etc. Well we were on our way to Corpus and had a GPS with speed indicator so we kept going. Not sure how many miles were lost as it did not track for the odometer, I am guessing about 500 miles. Someone said there might be a tracking somewhere else that has all of the miles, any idea if that is true? Would like to know full milage count as it would be over 200,000 now in that case.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't that covered under the extended warranty?

what have you done since the max miles in the maintenance manual, fluids?

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Definitely get to a dealer before the nine year warranty extension is up on the combination meter. Depending on your in-service date, it could be later this year. You can find out with your VIN.

When was the last time you changed the two coolant systems?

Have you ever done a brake fluid flush?

Transaxle fluid?

Cleaning the MAF sensor is a common item to do while cleaning the throttle body, but be careful not to harm it. Some say leave it alone unless you have symptoms. I noticed a slightly better idle after I cleaned mine at around 170K miles.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The combination meter ECU is what you need replaced, and it may be covered under extended warranty. I do not believe that there is another means to track vehicle cumulative miles besides the combination meter ECU.

I also changed the Denso iridium spark plugs on my 2004 with 220K miles on the odometer, this morning. I have a replacement PCV valve but decided the ambient air temp was too high to worry about changing that part right now. I did notice a nice pooling of fluid in the intake manifold, more than in the past.

If you haven't cleaned the MAF sensor yet, take a look at the amber bulb which houses the air temp sensor. If it has any dirt on it, it would be a good idea to spray that sensor as well as the two little wires that sense air flow, with MAF cleaner spray.

5. Rafikiro

Rafikiro Mockba

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi All thanks for the responses. The combination meter is what I was speaking to! That was replaced at Toyota's expense about 6 months ago. Unfortunately I had about 500 miles when it was dark that was lost on the odometer. I guess that is lost for good. I track everything so it does hurt my feelings to have lost that data but I will get over it!

I will be considering the fluid items, that I intentionally left for a future week. Everything was changed around 100K but looks good right now. Just considering if I do it or have someone else do it.

I was not aware of the MAF sensor so I will look at that. Old Blue is running noticeably better and would love to get more items to bring her up to snuff.